PayPal nixed personal payments for Taiwan residents!

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

PayPal nixed personal payments for Taiwan residents!

Postby Taiwan_Student » 09 Aug 2010, 12:37

I got an e-mail from PayPal stating that the Personal Payment button will no longer work in Taiwan. Surenough, I logged into the PayPal account linked to my Taiwanese credit card and there was no Personal Payment Tab.

I then visited my PayPal account attached to my US Bank account. And there it was! The Personal Payment Tab was stil there under that send money option! Glad Paypal did not discover Geoblocking!

I once in error made a personal payment using the "commercial" option. The transaction still went through but there was a small fee deducted. I guess people with Taiwanese only accounts can still make payments with this workaround.

Why the heck are they doing this? Can I still send money to those people who have Taiwan accounts. There is a certain forumosan who help me buy some songs from the Russian mp3 providers that don't accept Paypal. He has a trusted account and I just sent him the money to buy on my behalf.

I'm itching to buy some legal MP3's of old music.
Taiwan_Student
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
22 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Re: PayPal nixed personal payments for Taiwan residents!

Postby Okami » 09 Aug 2010, 13:44

Taiwan_Student wrote:I'm itching to buy some legal MP3's of old music.
This shocks me. :loco:
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

8 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 09 Aug 2010, 20:44

I got all the new music on ezpeer and kk box. What I don't seem to be able to find "legally" is Captain and Tennille, Classic Beetles, novelty songs like Beep Beep and Along Came John.

Those are available legally from Russia. I trust the music. Don't trust the M&M's.
Taiwan_Student

ORIGINAL POSTER
22 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Adam_CLO » 09 Aug 2010, 21:02

It looks like you can still send money back and forth, just that when you are sending from Taiwan, the recipient may be charged a transaction cost. Sending a personal payment TO a Taiwan account still seems to work as before.
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 10 Aug 2010, 08:52

Since they've done this, I've had no problem paying for stuff from Taiwan Paypal. I rarely, if ever, send personal payments but do receive them from time to time, so as long as that still works, I'm happy.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

189 Recommends(s)
191 Recognized(s)

Postby staborama » 16 Aug 2010, 05:36

Hello,

From my understanding, the Personal Payment tab for Paypal Taiwan had been missing as early as mid-July. Strangely enough it happened around the time of the recent "localization" treatment given to Paypal's Taiwan pages ie: Chinese models being used for the pictures instead of the original multiracial ones, and some (obviously written by a non-native speaker) taglines such as "Do you want to sell to the overseas?"

One would think that the missing Personal Payments tab on the TW version site is just a temporary glitch due to the "localization" changes. Paypal has always allowed free Personal payments between account holders as long as there are funds in the sender's account. It is clearly stated that personal payments are "Free when the money comes from PayPal balance or bank account."

Now, this email notification from Paypal is news to me, when exactly was this email sent out?

This change of service is not stated in any of their recent policy updates. The only mention I have found is on Wikipedia, and it is unsubstantiated. Were there any reports of this in any of the Taiwanese (chinese language) news or blogs?

If this is truly official, it means that following India and Japan, Paypal users in Taiwan have lost their ability to send Personal Payments for free. Unlike India and Japan, are there any laws in Taiwan that requires Paypal to now disallow personal payments?
staborama
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby engerim » 16 Aug 2010, 10:36

yeah, they spammed me too.
I only payed something (with my german credit card) but my email was with ".com.tw".
PayPal is just like a bank anyways. Avoid them where you can :)
Forumosan avatar
engerim

8 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby KenTaiwan98 » 17 Aug 2010, 01:09

If you are sending goods or providing services in return for those payments, then I guess the goods/services button works still fine! So if someone pays you for taking photographs, then just mark it as services... After all, without that button for goods and services, Paypal wouldn't have a business model!
In exile now... not returning to Forumosa.
KenTaiwan98
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 02 Sep 2012, 04:02

KenTaiwan98 wrote:If you are sending goods or providing services in return for those payments, then I guess the goods/services button works still fine! So if someone pays you for taking photographs, then just mark it as services... After all, without that button for goods and services, Paypal wouldn't have a business model!

Has there been a way for us to return to sending money for personal reasons in Taiwan via a paypal like service. I have two paypal accounts. One tied to my US banks. They let me send money to people for personal reasons.

My other Paypal account is tied to my Taiwanese credit card. This one won't let me send money for personal reasons. Both PayPal accounts use US e-mail addresses.

Just an aside. I am using my China Trust Amex Card for my internet purchases both on Paypal and with Amazon directly. I use my Costco China trust for general purchases.

Should I change my China Trust Amex account in Paypal to NT for US? I think I read that Amex uses us currency as a default when dealing with international purchases. If I tie a Taiwanese bank account to paypal, will the send money option return?
Taiwan_Student

ORIGINAL POSTER
22 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Money