Record of ID Number for Opening Bank Account?

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Record of ID Number for Opening Bank Account?

Postby freethinker83 » 15 Aug 2010, 02:09

Hello

I came across this article which states that a foreigner is able to open up a TW bank account with a "Record of ID number" if you do not have an ARC. It says you can get this at National Immigration agency. Does anyone know what this is ? Or does anyone know what qualifies an individual to receive one? Thanks in advance :bow:
Mike Price
麥克 普瑞斯
www.ThinkTaiwan.com
Connecting the World to Taiwan
Forumosan avatar
freethinker83
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Record of ID Number for Opening Bank Account?

Postby Lord Lucan » 15 Aug 2010, 02:31

15 Guangzhou Jie, near Yan Ping.

Walk in through door. Bear left. At counter, present passport and photocopy of passport data page, and ask for a Tong Yi Zheng Hao, or "ID number for foreigners". Fill in the form, which is in English and Chinese. Takes about 15 minutes. If you need a photocopy there is a machine directly to the right of the counter and I think it's 2 kuai a copy.

If, as your Forumosa location indicator states, you are in San Francisco, the TECO can do it too, but they will probably take a long time. Better perhaps to wait until you're in Taipei, where it takes minutes.
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby freethinker83 » 15 Aug 2010, 03:39

Lord Lucan wrote:15 Guangzhou Jie, near Yan Ping.

Walk in through door. Bear left. At counter, present passport and photocopy of passport data page, and ask for a Tong Yi Zheng Hao, or "ID number for foreigners". Fill in the form, which is in English and Chinese. Takes about 15 minutes. If you need a photocopy there is a machine directly to the right of the counter and I think it's 2 kuai a copy.

If, as your Forumosa location indicator states, you are in San Francisco, the TECO can do it too, but they will probably take a long time. Better perhaps to wait until you're in Taipei, where it takes minutes.

Lord Lucan you are wonderful! Thank you very much. I am in San Francisco and will get my visa soon but if you are right in saying it would take too much time to get this number I will wait until my arrival in Taipei in November. Thanks a million! I was under impression from these boards that a ARC was absolutely necessary until I read this workaround in Business weekly. I had forgotten to include link previously http://www.businessweekly.com.tw/event/ ... ces_en.pdf
Mike Price
麥克 普瑞斯
www.ThinkTaiwan.com
Forumosan avatar
freethinker83

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 15 Aug 2010, 06:01

This solution has been discussed in several threads about banking on Forumosa, as well.

It was my experience when I moved here 5 years ago. I went to the Foreign Affairs Police, which is now known as the National Immigration Agency, told them that I needed some document from them so I could open a bank account and they printed out the Record of ID Number on normal letterhead. There is no charge for this document.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby freethinker83 » 15 Aug 2010, 08:05

CraigTPE wrote:This solution has been discussed in several threads about banking on Forumosa, as well.

It was my experience when I moved here 5 years ago. I went to the Foreign Affairs Police, which is now known as the National Immigration Agency, told them that I needed some document from them so I could open a bank account and they printed out the Record of ID Number on normal letterhead. There is no charge for this document.

Thanks craig! and my apologies for not being able to find this discussed prior to this thread! Very excited now indeed! haha
Mike Price
麥克 普瑞斯
www.ThinkTaiwan.com
Forumosan avatar
freethinker83

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Money