Best bank for exchange rates

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Best bank for exchange rates

Postby strider » 05 Oct 2010, 13:03

I don't know if this fluctuates the way the rates themselves do, but I wouldn't think that it would. Since I've been here, I've stopped in a lot of banks to change money, but stupidly didn't pay attention to who had the best rate although I did notice that Bank of Taiwan was by far the worst. I assume the same banks regularly have the best rates, anyone know which ones they are?
strider
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Best bank for exchange rates

Postby Flying Falcon » 10 Oct 2010, 04:09

I have exchanged money for a couple of times and I always tend to check five banks; Bank of Taiwan, Taishin bank, china trust, shin kong bank and Taipei Fubon. Everytime taipei Fubon gives the best rate. now I do not check at all, I go straight away to Taipei Fubon, the people there started to recognize me, they fill a small applicaton for me (although it has english), copy the ID card and do the exchange transaction ( 5-7 minutes and I am done). I would recomend them.
Flying Falcon
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby Hexagon1227 » 16 Oct 2010, 22:15

I think HSBC has a slightly better rate than Fubon. Govt banks gives the crappiest rates.
Also there's a difference in rate whether it's cash or deposit change. Changing cash gives you a slightly worst rate than foreign money that is already in your account
Hexagon1227
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby ironfist » 04 Nov 2010, 00:06

USD just kept on depreciating, it's a good idea to exchange your TWD into USD now. You can open a USD account, and any banks in Taiwan they will offer you a higher rate of .03 vs counter rate, for online banking. And there is no fee to convert money from TWD into USD. I am sure later TWD will be back down to 31.5 to 32.5. By that time exchange it back and you will earn about 3% on 1 dollar difference ( 32 to 31 or vice versa)

Banker were telling me it's a good time to invest in some USD investments, such as mutual funds that's purchased in USD. They were talking about fidelity mutual fund, bonds in particular. Anyone got any opinion on this? or any other good investment that's based on USD?
ironfist
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

1 Recommends(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Money