A guide to Taiwanese VISA Debit Cards

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Re: A guide to Taiwanese VISA Debit Cards

Postby yuli » 13 Apr 2012, 22:09

Bobarctor wrote:Went to Taixin and Mega Bank, they both propose Visa with the mention "Electronic use only" same as my BOT card. It seems you can't pay online with those cards.

No need to take what they propose. Other people got better cards, especially from Taishin. :cool:

Internet Support for Expats:
http://www.taiwan-okinawa.info/flis/
Our Fight for Democracy in Japan:
http://www.kenpou-gakushuukai.pw/english.shtml
yuli
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
305 Recommends(s)
111 Recognized(s)

Postby yuli » 13 Apr 2012, 22:11

trubadour wrote:ebuyer rejected payment - will update if this changes

Noted... thanks!

trubadour wrote:PayPal has worked as a payment method if I pretend that I have not got an account and use the 'pay with card' option. I was able to pay a subscription that way. But the same method got me a rejection notice when I tried it on ebuyer. I still can't add funds to my PayPal account.

In this case it looks like a paypal issue and not a card issue... :)

sensAsian wrote:Didn't see it on the first post, but the Taiwanese Post Office Bank debit card doesn't work everywhere. I remember specifically Costco not accepting it.

OK, so we already heard that this is a Costco issue and not a card issue. :)

mike029 wrote:the Post Office card sucks

Hm... that is a rather unspecific evaluation, and to me it seems that the card is good enough when compared to other cards in the same category. Why would anyone want to get it, you ask: because generally, it's a good idea to have several cards (many of the cards mentioned here have been reported to not work in some odd circumstances), and, anyway, some people get by with cards that do even less than the PO card, because they use Taiwanese credit cards only to pay for purchases in shops in Taiwan. :lol:

yuli

ORIGINAL POSTER
305 Recommends(s)
111 Recognized(s)

Postby yuli » 13 Apr 2012, 22:13

d.p.

yuli

ORIGINAL POSTER
305 Recommends(s)
111 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 14 Apr 2012, 10:09

My card (Visa Electron) now also works without a hitch on the bookdepository.co.uk site. 'Free' delivery here I comes!
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 14 Apr 2012, 10:11

yuli wrote:
trubadour wrote:ebuyer rejected payment - will update if this changes

Noted... thanks!

trubadour wrote:PayPal has worked as a payment method if I pretend that I have not got an account and use the 'pay with card' option. I was able to pay a subscription that way. But the same method got me a rejection notice when I tried it on ebuyer. I still can't add funds to my PayPal account.

In this case it looks like a paypal issue and not a card issue... :)

It could be an issue with my bank or with import stuff, too. But sucks that I can't get cash in the paypal account..although the payment method makes that unnecessary.
trubadour

114 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby mike029 » 14 Apr 2012, 11:17

mike029 wrote:the Post Office card sucks

Hm... that is a rather unspecific evaluation, and to me it seems that the card is good enough when compared to other cards in the same category. Why would anyone want to get it, you ask: because generally, it's a good idea to have several cards (many of the cards mentioned here have been reported to not work in some odd circumstances), and, anyway, some people get by with cards that do even less than the PO card, because they use Taiwanese credit cards only to pay for purchases in shops in Taiwan. :lol:

I have heard nothing but negative comments regarding the Post Office bank in general. It's one of those holdovers from pre-modern ROC (PRC's post office bank is terrible, as well). My classmates always complain about it because the ATM card doesn't work anywhere except the post office, you have to find a post office to withdraw money, and the line is always too long. They also don't have the ATM you can deposit cash in. The only 2 pros to having the account is that it allows people 18 years of age to open an account (banks are 20?), and they give preferable interest rates to government employees.

Myself, I have Chinatrust and First Bank. Chinatrust because it always works and seems to be the largest bank here and First Bank because when I was at Zheng-Da they forced me to open either First Bank or Post Office and I went with First Bank.

My Chinatrust card worked overseas in Malaysia and Singapore when I wanted to withdraw cash with no issue, FYI. Their mobile app is garbage and completely useless, but at least the card worked. Also the plastic with the magnet stripe came off the back of my First Bank card but the bank won't give me a new one unless I bring that stupid ass bank book I can't find. It still works in the ATM (from the chip), so whatever. I rarely use it. Right now the Chinatrust card's plastic is also coming off at the back end...I'm afraid the ATM is gonna catch it when it spits the card out now...

About the Paypal not working when you log in: Cards can only be added if they are issued in the country that the Paypal account is registered to. For example, an American Paypal account cannot add a Taiwanese card/bank for funding. A Taiwanese Paypal can, however, add an American card. American cards and bank accounts work on all accounts worldwide, so it's better to hold a TW Paypal account and add your American info.
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby yuli » 16 Apr 2012, 17:14

mike029 wrote:I have heard nothing but negative comments regarding the Post Office bank in general. [...] My classmates always complain about it because the ATM card doesn't work anywhere except the post office, you have to find a post office to withdraw money, and the line is always too long. They also don't have the ATM you can deposit cash in.

Ah... life in the countryside: in Hualian i can pull cash out of my POB account at any post office (of which there are quite a few) or Familiy Mart ATM (of which there are even more), and i can deposit money at post office ATMs as well. And i:ve been able to cope with these long lines, too (like, one person in front of me, at most!) Of course, in the big city things may well be different - as everywhere, Y(or your classmates')MMV - but at least I have no reason to complain. :)
My Chinatrust card worked overseas in Malaysia and Singapore when I wanted to withdraw cash with no issue, FYI.

Good to know...!
Their mobile app is garbage and completely useless, but at least the card worked. Also the plastic with the magnet stripe came off the back of my First Bank card but the bank won't give me a new one unless I bring that stupid ass bank book I can't find. It still works in the ATM (from the chip), so whatever. I rarely use it. Right now the Chinatrust card's plastic is also coming off at the back end...I'm afraid the ATM is gonna catch it when it spits the card out now...

The issue of how to maintain bank books, cards, and other "vital" items related to our modern way of life in good working order is definitely there. Your comments will, so I hope, serve as important reminder to everybody...

yuli

ORIGINAL POSTER
305 Recommends(s)
111 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 07 May 2012, 08:24

mike029 wrote:the plastic with the magnet stripe came off the back of my First Bank card but the bank won't give me a new one unless I bring that stupid ass bank book I can't find. It still works in the ATM (from the chip), so whatever. I rarely use it. Right now the Chinatrust card's plastic is also coming off at the back end...I'm afraid the ATM is gonna catch it when it spits the card out now...

when the plastic strip came off mine, they told me not to worry. eventually, I lost it and still haven't signed the new one. I use it all the time to buy stuff in shops - no one has ever even mentioned it, let alone denied the purchase!nyway I lost it and still haven't signed the new one. I use it all the time to buy stuff in shops - no one has ever even mentioned it, let alone denied the purchase!
trubadour

114 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Bobarctor » 12 May 2012, 12:17

Do you guys can pay with any of those debit card a HSR ticket at the machine ? For me it worked once only ! I selected "Credit card" put my 4 digit pin and got a ticket. Never worked again.
Forumosan avatar
Bobarctor
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 12 May 2012, 13:16

I've used regular ATM cards in the HSR ticket machines. No problem at all.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

184 Recommends(s)
184 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Money