A guide to Taiwanese VISA Debit Cards

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Re: A guide to Taiwanese VISA Debit Cards

Postby ThorsMallet » 07 Jun 2012, 23:42

dan2006 wrote:
ThorsMallet wrote:Tried Taishin bank again today, this time at the Nanjing East Rd branch, where I figured they'd be more likely to have someone who spoke English.

Anyways, I spoke to a woman in English who and asked her if they offered foreigners Visa debit cards that would work both online and at ATMs abroad. She said that they did and that the only limitation was that the international functioning would be disabled once my ARC expires, fine, I thought. So after sitting there for about 45 minutes while they typed away on the computer they give me an ATM card with NO Visa logo and no numbers at all! I was confused so I asked the same woman I spoke to earlier why it wasn't a Visa card and she said, "We don't offer Visas to foreigners" I argued with her, but she denied ever saying that they did...... I was furious.....

Back to the drawing board......

I should mention, the card did have a PLUS logo on the back and the woman said that it could be used to draw money at foreign ATMs, however they only gave me a 6-digit pin so I'm a bit skeptical.

I hope you closed your account. I would absolutely refuse to do business with a company that would say one thing, and then lie about it when confronted.

I have had such poor success with Taiwan banks as they are the epitome of uselessness. Hopefully they will all sink underwater at some point.

Yea, I closed it the next day. Actually when I was trying to open my account with China Trust, they saw on their computer network that I had opened an account with Taishin the day before. They told me that I would have to close my Taishin account before opening a China Trust one because of some regulation against opening multiple accounts in a short period of time. Needless to say, the Taishin people were pretty confused as to why I was closing an account I'd had for only 1 day.
ThorsMallet
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby dan2006 » 08 Jun 2012, 09:27

ThorsMallet wrote:
dan2006 wrote:
ThorsMallet wrote:Tried Taishin bank again today, this time at the Nanjing East Rd branch, where I figured they'd be more likely to have someone who spoke English.

Anyways, I spoke to a woman in English who and asked her if they offered foreigners Visa debit cards that would work both online and at ATMs abroad. She said that they did and that the only limitation was that the international functioning would be disabled once my ARC expires, fine, I thought. So after sitting there for about 45 minutes while they typed away on the computer they give me an ATM card with NO Visa logo and no numbers at all! I was confused so I asked the same woman I spoke to earlier why it wasn't a Visa card and she said, "We don't offer Visas to foreigners" I argued with her, but she denied ever saying that they did...... I was furious.....

Back to the drawing board......

I should mention, the card did have a PLUS logo on the back and the woman said that it could be used to draw money at foreign ATMs, however they only gave me a 6-digit pin so I'm a bit skeptical.

I hope you closed your account. I would absolutely refuse to do business with a company that would say one thing, and then lie about it when confronted.

I have had such poor success with Taiwan banks as they are the epitome of uselessness. Hopefully they will all sink underwater at some point.

Yea, I closed it the next day. Actually when I was trying to open my account with China Trust, they saw on their computer network that I had opened an account with Taishin the day before. They told me that I would have to close my Taishin account before opening a China Trust one because of some regulation against opening multiple accounts in a short period of time. Needless to say, the Taishin people were pretty confused as to why I was closing an account I'd had for only 1 day.

So I guess the banks in Taiwan must pull a credit check to open an account.. that could explain how Chinatrust knew you had another account.

Very interesting that they would ask you to close the account of the other bank :)
Forumosan avatar
dan2006
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

60 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 08 Jun 2012, 09:49

I opened an account at Hua Nan bank a few days ago without an ARC. Had my Visa debit card handed to me before I left and immediately went to ATM machine and changed PIN and checked my balance.

I think the trick was having a local friend who uses the bank at that location accompany me and do a lot of the talking to ensure them I am as reliable. My friend was not asked to give any ID or sign anything and was only recognized visually.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

6 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby dan2006 » 10 Aug 2012, 01:57

My company insists that I open an account with First Commercial Bank so I went there today.

The girl behind the counter asked if I wanted an ATM card and I told her that I would like a VISA Debit card. She said, I don't think we give that to foreigners and gave me a nervous giggle. I asked about a VISA card just for giggles and I got the giggle again and she said it's impossible. She then walked over the 90 year old branch manager who had a laugh over the fact that a foreigner wanted a VISA and/or VISA debit card, then took off.

In the end I declined the ATM card and will just walk in once a month when I get paid and pull the entire balance out, then walk across the street to Citibank to deposit the funds there.

Summary: Don't go to First Bank for a VISA debit card.
Land Bank also won't give a foreigner a VISA debit card either
Forumosan avatar
dan2006

60 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Postby dan2006 » 13 Aug 2012, 16:13

So not being deterred and having some free time today, I went to another branch of the same bank (first bank), gave them my bankbook and asked for a VISA debit card. The woman looked me over, said no problem, and filled out the forms. She assured me it will work overseas and online.

I paid $100 nt for the card, and she told to come back on Friday to pick the card up. Here's hoping. :discodance:

I'm starting to think a lot of it has to do with how you relate to the person you ask and how willing they are to think instead of blindly follow rules. It seems if they like you, you can get what you want. In my case we spent about 20 minutes talking about my plans in Taiwan and other things before she got down to filling in the forms.
Forumosan avatar
dan2006

60 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 15 Aug 2012, 12:45

Its is about person to person on Taiwan. Always has been. Rules and regulations are important but many branches have a lot of leeway. And it wont be checked higher up even.

Unless shit hits the fan. So if you give her/him a reason to trust you, things can go your way.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby yuli » 25 Aug 2012, 16:46

tommy525 wrote:if you give her/him a reason to trust you, things can go your way.

Of course. After all, when it comes to the question of lending/borrowing money, trust is an essential ingredient. :wink:

I am not saying that there must be anything wrong with the people who get repeatedly rejected (it has even happened to some good people whom I know personally), and in some cases it is likely just "bad luck" in a lottery kind of way, but in some cases there is likely a mismatch in the communication that stands in the way of building the required trust (this mismatch can be related to anything - appearance, manners, gender, age, language used, background information, etc., etc.). Using local connections is, on the other hand, one possible way to build the required communication bridges... just saying...
 Our Fight for Democracy in Japan:
http://www.kenpou-gakushuukai.pw/english.shtml
yuli
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
374 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby Bobarctor » 01 Sep 2012, 16:15

tommy525 wrote:Its is about person to person on Taiwan. Always has been. Rules and regulations are important but many branches have a lot of leeway. And it wont be checked higher up even.

Unless shit hits the fan. So if you give her/him a reason to trust you, things can go your way.

:loco:

I don't imagine getting a loan here as a foreigner...
Forumosan avatar
Bobarctor
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby dan2006 » 01 Sep 2012, 19:18

Bobarctor wrote:
tommy525 wrote:Its is about person to person on Taiwan. Always has been. Rules and regulations are important but many branches have a lot of leeway. And it wont be checked higher up even.

Good luck with that. I'm in the process of fighting with a few banks re: a credit card to start creating a credit history, and it is like pulling teeth.

We are simply untrustworthy to the banks, full stop. I asked about a credit card at one bank I deal with and the guy laughed and said, "that's hard". I asked about a mortgage, and he laughed even louder and said, "thats even harder" (read impossible when you read past the Ke Qi Hua - polite speech)

A few years ago, there was a thread where quite a few people were supposed to meet up to walk into a bank or phone company, I forgot which, and stage a small protest where en mass everyone complained at the same time but as I recall no one could agree on a time to meet and it fizzled out.
Forumosan avatar
dan2006

60 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 01 Sep 2012, 20:16

Bobarctor wrote:

You can get a loan but where people become unstuck is re the requirement for a guarantor or security.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Money