Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

A guide to Taiwanese VISA Debit Cards

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Re: A guide to Taiwanese VISA Debit Cards

Postby enn » 19 Sep 2011, 10:28

Since I have a Visa card, I said Visa card. I meant any card. Thanks for seeing that.
enn
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby yuli » 19 Sep 2011, 11:12

enn wrote:Since I have a Visa card, I said Visa card. I meant any card. Thanks for seeing that.

I see. :wink: Thanks...
Peanuts IT Service:
Hosting resources in several countries for small projects (use your own domain or one that I prepare). Cheap web and mail hosting ($0.50/mo); short or long term. FTP access and control panel. Cheap domain names ($8-12/year). Manage your own site/ mailboxes or have me do it. It's never been easier to get your own mail address or website. :-)
yuli
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby cfimages » 28 Oct 2011, 11:21

Little update. Decided to try my cards in an ATM in Nepal last week.

Taishin - worked fine, gave me some cash.

First Bank - didn't work at all despite it having a 4 digit pin and supposedly being ok for international use.
cfimages
Forumosa's Finest
Forumosa's Finest

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2003

Postby lostinasia » 28 Oct 2011, 13:17

cfimages wrote:Little update. Decided to try my cards in an ATM in Nepal last week.

First Bank - didn't work at all despite it having a 4 digit pin and supposedly being ok for international use.

After I used my Taiwanese Citibank Visa card in Nepal, the bank insisted that I needed to get a new card for security reasons - just because it'd been used in Nepal, as far as I could tell. I had no problem using it while I was there, but you may find your bank making requests of you when you get back.

And have a great trip!
lostinasia
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Re: Visa Debit Card: how to get it; where to use it

Postby pqkdzrwt » 28 Oct 2011, 14:19

TheLostSwede wrote:I also have online banking, but it's all in Chinese and they have some idiotic restrictions, like if I want to transfer money to another account, I need to go and let the bank know first and sign a piece of paper with the other account number on it... :loco:

I wish my bank offered that service. that essentially eliminates any possibility of hackers stealing your money. Its MUCH better than HSBC Australia which require you to carry around another "dongle" in your pocket, AND disables your account if you dont use it for a few months!
Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it
pqkdzrwt
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Re: Re: A guide to Taiwanese VISA Debit Cards

Postby cfimages » 28 Oct 2011, 14:28

lostinasia wrote:
cfimages wrote:Little update. Decided to try my cards in an ATM in Nepal last week.

After I used my Taiwanese Citibank Visa card in Nepal, the bank insisted that I needed to get a new card for security reasons - just because it'd been used in Nepal, as far as I could tell. I had no problem using it while I was there, but you may find your bank making requests of you when you get back.

And have a great trip!

I'm back now and haven't had any requests from the banks yet.
cfimages
Forumosa's Finest
Forumosa's Finest

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2003

Postby roback33 » 28 Oct 2011, 16:10

I got a Visa Debit from Taishin bank and:
works with 4 digits code in France if you pick up money from an ATM
wasn't accepted by a taxi driver in France
worked in every hotel/shop in France

wasn't able to pick up money in Germany
was able to pay everything in Germany

You will need to enable the function for abroad (4 digits call) before use it.
Got the card within of 30 minutes
Formosa Football Academy - the prime Football Academy in Taipei!!! If your child is interested in football, visit our website: www.ffa.tw
roback33
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Re: Visa Debit Card: how to get it; where to use it

Postby Charlie Phillips » 28 Oct 2011, 21:52

pqkdzrwt wrote:
TheLostSwede wrote:I also have online banking, but it's all in Chinese and they have some idiotic restrictions, like if I want to transfer money to another account, I need to go and let the bank know first and sign a piece of paper with the other account number on it... :loco:

I wish my bank offered that service. that essentially eliminates any possibility of hackers stealing your money. Its MUCH better than HSBC Australia which require you to carry around another "dongle" in your pocket, AND disables your account if you dont use it for a few months!

The HSBC account has the same service. You have to physically go to a branch to authorise moving money from your bank account to another specific account, after that you can make transfers whenever you want online: As you say, prevents hackers stealing your money. The 'dongle' has the same function: You can't log in online without the dongle. Double happy.
OK, it's not a magazine. It's just shit that happens: here. http://news.thewildeast.net
Charlie Phillips

In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

Postby TheLostSwede » 28 Oct 2011, 22:41

So what's the point of having online baking if I have to fill in a form for every single account I want to transfer money to or make a payment to? It makes online banking pointless imho.
The dongle, sure, fine, not a problem, that's for security, but not being able to transfer money to whatever account I want whenever it pleases me makes it all kind of moot imho.
TheLostSwede
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 28 Oct 2011, 23:52

TheLostSwede wrote:So what's the point of having online baking if I have to fill in a form for every single account I want to transfer money to or make a payment to? It makes online banking pointless imho.
The dongle, sure, fine, not a problem, that's for security, but not being able to transfer money to whatever account I want whenever it pleases me makes it all kind of moot imho.

OK, so I break into your house and find your password and dongle and transfer all your money to my bank account.

The account comes with a visa card you can use to pay for one-off purchases.
OK, it's not a magazine. It's just shit that happens: here. http://news.thewildeast.net
Charlie Phillips

In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Money