A guide to Taiwanese VISA Debit Cards

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Re: A guide to Taiwanese VISA Debit Cards

Postby TaFCoML » 22 Aug 2011, 15:16

Tried at China Trust (Zhongli branch) and they said I needed a 2 or 3 year ARC (?!). There wasn't anyone there who could speak English though, so had to ask a local friend to call back later to check that there wasn't a misunderstanding.

Then tried at Taishin (also Zhongli). They were friendly and spoke enough English to talk me through the Chinese forms (their requirements: ARC, health card, and passport). Got the card (though not sure exactly which one) in around 30 minutes. I'll try it out online later...

Update: Was able to order a book (didn't use Amazon) and book a hotel (Agoda) with the card. Great success! Thanks for the thread Yuli (:
Derp.
Forumosan avatar
TaFCoML
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby yuli » 22 Aug 2011, 19:25

TaFCoML wrote:had to ask a local friend to call back later to check that there wasn't a misunderstanding.

Such misunderstandings, if they are that, are possibly the consequence of some banks not having any policy at all and employees making things up (perhaps to cover their backs) or employees not being aware of the existing policy (including not bothering to inquire at head office) and thus making things up. :wink:
{anecdote}Two years ago when I went to the only Taishin Bank branch in Hualian to open an account they didn't know what to do with me since i didn't have an ARC (but I had the required form with an ID number from the NIA), and i solved their problem (since i knew it was theirs not mine) by suggesting/insisting that they call their main office in Taipei and get a confirmation from there (which they, of course, got after some trying). Knowledge is power. :D {/anecdote}
Then tried at Taishin (also Zhongli). They were friendly and spoke enough English to talk me through the Chinese forms (their requirements: ARC, health card, and passport). Got the card (though not sure exactly which one) in around 30 minutes. I'll try it out online later (:

Yes, please let us know - by all accounts (excuse the pun) Taishin is generally straightforard to deal with.
 Our Fight for Democracy in Japan:
http://www.kenpou-gakushuukai.pw/english.shtml
yuli
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
402 Recommends(s)
150 Recognized(s)

Postby Leon » 04 Sep 2011, 01:08

:) I was able to get a Visa Debit Card at Bank of Taiwan with only a visitor visa and the paper with the ID number from immigration office :D and its valid for 7 years
Leon
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recognized(s)

A guide to Taiwanese VISA Debit Cards

Postby zebigbos22 » 04 Sep 2011, 08:54

debit card, always ok, credit card, not often ok
zebigbos22
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby yuli » 04 Sep 2011, 20:19

Leon wrote::) I was able to get a Visa Debit Card at Bank of Taiwan with only a visitor visa and the paper with the ID number from immigration office :D and its valid for 7 years

Thanks for the update! :discodance:
Please let us know how and where you can use the card (in shops in Taiwan? with ATMs in Taiwan? in shops abroad? with ATMs abroad? on the internet?).
:bow:
yuli

ORIGINAL POSTER
402 Recommends(s)
150 Recognized(s)

Postby yuli » 04 Sep 2011, 20:32

zebigbos22 wrote:debit card, always ok, credit card, not often ok

Which question are you answering here? :)
yuli

ORIGINAL POSTER
402 Recommends(s)
150 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 14 Sep 2011, 22:58

yuli wrote:
Leon wrote::) I was able to get a Visa Debit Card at Bank of Taiwan with only a visitor visa and the paper with the ID number from immigration office :D and its valid for 7 years

Thanks for the update! :discodance:
Please let us know how and where you can use the card (in shops in Taiwan? with ATMs in Taiwan? in shops abroad? with ATMs abroad? on the internet?).
:bow:

Definitely NOT on the internet (at least here in the 'wan). Tried it and didn't work. You really need a CC for that.

Shops in TW...as long as they take cards.
ATMs in TW, yes (with fee if the ATM is not from the same bank).
Shops abroad....dunno but I think you can.
ATMs abroad....the fee will probably kill you.
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby yuli » 15 Sep 2011, 00:05

PigBloodCake wrote:
yuli wrote:Please let us know how and where you can use the card (in shops in Taiwan? with ATMs in Taiwan? in shops abroad? with ATMs abroad? on the internet?). :bow:

Definitely NOT on the internet (at least here in the 'wan). Tried it and didn't work. You really need a CC for that.

Or a debit card from one of the more flexible banks listed near the top of the post that is at the head of this thread. :cool:
Shops in TW...as long as they take cards.
ATMs in TW, yes (with fee if the ATM is not from the same bank).
Shops abroad....dunno but I think you can.
ATMs abroad....the fee will probably kill you.

OK, let's take now what we know and think about the rest again when we can verify it. :wink:

Thanks for the added info! :bow:
yuli

ORIGINAL POSTER
402 Recommends(s)
150 Recognized(s)

Postby enn » 16 Sep 2011, 10:06

I've dealt with Cathay United Taoyuan for 2.5 years and they have been very helpful most of the time. Irene understands and speaks great English and has helped me fill out all the webpages correctly in Chinese. For instance to top up my Skype account, once Skype asks all the info it needs it sends me to Cathay United to verify my identity. Unfortunately the 5 blanks are all in Chinese and I translated it into English and got garble. I cut and pasted the page and emailed it to Irene. Wow, they ask a lot of questions for a measly 400 NTD payment!

1. Visa card pincode on back of card
2. last 4 digits of arc used to create the account
3.birthdate mmddyy
4.last 4 digits of bank act
5.email address used when creating the act

Now it's popped me over to a page called Verified by Visa. So I copied the page and emailed to Irene.

Only 1 NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE: I finished my teaching contract on Dec. 31st. The school had me sign a release. My Arc's expiration on the card says Jan 31st. I flew to the US and spent January with family. The very first time I used the card it wouldn't work and I was up the proverbial creek because that's where I kept all my $$. I could purchase as much as I wanted, but ATMs wouldn't accept the card.

It turns out with the release paper I signed the school cancelled my ARC without notice. That info percolated down to the bank which promptly cancelled my outside-of-Taiwan use of the card. I had used the card many times at ATMs in several countries with no problem at all.

So keep in mind on your last day of a contract if you sign a release for the school and are heading home on vacation, pull out the cash you'll need because otherwise you might be in for a very unpleasant surprise when you use your Taiwan card in the ATM.
Forumosan avatar
enn

3 Recognized(s)

Postby yuli » 19 Sep 2011, 06:30

Thanks for the added information! I've added a part of your explanation concerning ARC expiry and card use to the post at the head of this thread.
enn wrote:1. Visa card pincode on back of card

You mean VISA debit card? Or are you referring to another (perhaps non-Taiwanese) credit card?
yuli

ORIGINAL POSTER
402 Recommends(s)
150 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Money