where to buy silver in Taipei?

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Re: where to buy silver in Taipei?

Postby Tony the Tiger » 28 Sep 2011, 22:11

lumka1 wrote:There is another online site with a similar name and logo - are they the same? http://www.booksilvertrade.com.tw. There is also another one, but slightly cheaper: http://www.shiny.com.tw/. I would be glad if anyone can post some experiences they had with these online brokers. I am particularly interested in their policy of buying back the silver, in case I want to sell it.

Out of all the three sites, booksilver.com has the lowest prices.

The other two sites have a buy back price for a couple of silver assets. God damn, the spreads they have are pure rape. I calculated their spreads to be between 10% and 25%.

If the spread is 20%, that means the price of silver needs to appreciate 25% for you just to break even. Pretty sick. Maybe silver investing in Taiwan is not such a good idea...
Born in Taiwan. Grew up in California. Graduated from Cal. State Fullerton in 2008. Studied Chinese for 3 semesters at Shi-Da. Decided to live in Taiwan so I joined the Taiwanese army as 替代役.

Full-time poker player, Part-time English teacher.
Forumosan avatar
Tony the Tiger
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby timmyjames » 02 Oct 2011, 21:03

I don't really see the point in physically buying silver if you want to buy for short term investment...just like most people don't physically get stock certs nowadays....I was more interested in it for insurance...pretty sure buying physical silver for investment in taiwan is more trouble than it's worth
timmyjames
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby lumka1 » 27 Oct 2011, 15:11

Just some feedback. I have checked out numerous sites, such as booksilver.com, maplesite.com. prosbcoin.com, which are all silver and gold bullion and coin traders in Taiwan. Some looked fishy, but I can not confirm anything. I found that booksilvertrade.com.tw uses physical dealers as well. I contacted the dealer in Hsinchu [a long time jewelry shop] and placed my order through him at no extra cost. I ordered some 2012 Australia Dragon coins and Scottsdale silver bars as a trial, to see if I ever receive my order, and if they turn out to be genuine. As it turned out, I am happy with my purchase and will use this channel again.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!’” ~Hunter S. Thompson
Forumosan avatar
lumka1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby gavmasterflash » 16 Jul 2012, 21:03

nevermind.
gavmasterflash

5 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby papercut » 13 Jun 2014, 09:16

I am interested in picking up a few silver coins if anyone is looking to cash out. Willing to pay Silver Spot + 5%:

http://www.bullion-rates.com/silver/TWD/spot-price.htm

Cheers
papercut
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Money