Legal self defense firearm license

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Legal self defense firearm license

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 15 Aug 2012, 23:49

I don't know what's the appropriate forum for this, so I will put it in Taiwan politics for now as gun control seems to be a political issue, at least in the USA.

As you know Taiwan has very very strict gun laws, with such a harsh penalty that possessing even one bullet will get you a punishment that almost puts the Salem witchcraft trials to shame. However when looking deeper into the specifics of owning a gun legally in Taiwan (which is difficult), there is apparently a law that allows any citizens to own a firearm for defensive purposes. You have to get a license for it, and basically anyone who has no criminal record may apply for this license, but it limits you to one firearm (two per household at the most) and 15 rounds of ammunition. However I have also read that in practice it is almost impossible to get this license unless you have serious political connection.

Does anyone know about this?
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Re: Legal self defense firearm license

Postby *monkey* » 16 Aug 2012, 11:07

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:I don't know what's the appropriate forum for this, so I will put it in Taiwan politics for now as gun control seems to be a political issue, at least in the USA.

As you know Taiwan has very very strict gun laws, with such a harsh penalty that possessing even one bullet will get you a punishment that almost puts the Salem witchcraft trials to shame. However when looking deeper into the specifics of owning a gun legally in Taiwan (which is difficult), there is apparently a law that allows any citizens to own a firearm for defensive purposes. You have to get a license for it, and basically anyone who has no criminal record may apply for this license, but it limits you to one firearm (two per household at the most) and 15 rounds of ammunition. However I have also read that in practice it is almost impossible to get this license unless you have serious political connection.

Does anyone know about this?

I don't know where you get your information from, but guns cannot be kept at home by private individuals for defensive purposes. As far as I know, all gun permits require the firearms to be stored in a police station when not being used for their intended purpose (hunting, sport shooting) and the guns can only be used in places designated on the permit (aboriginal hunting ground, shooting range etc). The permit requires the firearms to be transported directly from the police station to their registered place of use, and then back to the police station again.

I know of one private security company that owns a number of handguns for defensive use, but those guns cannot be legally carried or used in Taiwan. They are checked out of the police station when the company sends its bodyguards to accompany VIPs on overseas trips, and they have to be checked back into the police station when the bodyguards return to Taiwan.
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

4 Recommends(s)
59 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 16 Aug 2012, 14:49

This is the relevant laws:

http://tw.knowledge.yahoo.com/question/ ... 4121902497

It appears private citizens may be allowed to have a single firearm and a very limited number of ammunition for defensive purposes, but a license is needed and it's not easy to get in practice from what I read. The person may not have any criminal history obviously.

Also it seems foreigners may also own guns for this purpose (but in practice its probably impossible unless you are an AIT staff or other politically sensitive foreigner) however the applicant must also submit paperworks to the embassy/trade office of his/her home country as well (according to article 8)
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
Taiwan Luthiers

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 16 Aug 2012, 15:19

Possible reason for owning a gun: being the bodyguard to the Director of the Belgian Trade Office in Taiwan ... :D very high risk job :roflmao: :ohreally:
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
62 Recognized(s)

Postby the chief » 16 Aug 2012, 15:58

Belgian Pie wrote:Possible reason for owning a gun: being the bodyguard to the Director of the Belgian Trad Office in Taiwan ... :D very high risk job :roflmao: :ohreally:

I don't know, man, you get some guy, finds a screw in his waffle, he goes on a rampage, who's probably going to be his first target???
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.

This post was recommended by dan2006 (16 Aug 2012, 17:34)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
the chief
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 16 Aug 2012, 16:02

the chief wrote:
Belgian Pie wrote:Possible reason for owning a gun: being the bodyguard to the Director of the Belgian Trad Office in Taiwan ... :D very high risk job :roflmao: :ohreally:

I don't know, man, you get some guy, finds a screw in his waffle, he goes on a rampage, who's probably going to be his first target???

Whats to stop cops from doing that? They are under so much pressure most of the time, and suicide rate among cops are quite high.

Typhoon Guitars
Taiwan Luthiers

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby the chief » 16 Aug 2012, 16:05

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:
the chief wrote:

Whats to stop cops from doing that? They are under so much pressure most of the time, and suicide rate among cops are quite high.

Most of them can't afford to eat in waffle restaurants, I don't think.
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
Forumosan avatar
the chief

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 16 Aug 2012, 16:10

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:This is the relevant laws:

Are you sure that stuff doesn't date back to the martial law era or something? It's just the 10元 and 20元 fees for the firearms licenses seemed a little bit low.
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*

4 Recommends(s)
59 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 16 Aug 2012, 16:14

*monkey* wrote:
Taiwan Luthiers wrote:This is the relevant laws:

Are you sure that stuff doesn't date back to the martial law era or something? It's just the 10元 and 20元 fees for the firearms licenses seemed a little bit low.

I don't know how current it is but I would expect things to be stricter back in those days... it doesn't matter because I've read in practice its impossible for individuals to get the license. Heck back in the martial law days there are a lot of stuff people could be executed for, for example, counterfeiting money, kidnapping with ransoms, etc. that are now no longer a crime punishable by death.

Typhoon Guitars
Taiwan Luthiers

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 16 Aug 2012, 16:16

the chief wrote:
Taiwan Luthiers wrote:
the chief wrote:

Most of them can't afford to eat in waffle restaurants, I don't think.

Apparently, most of them can't shoot straight, either. Wasn't there a case a while back where they were trying to take out a burglar and managed to kill some schoolgirl in a building halfway down the road?

Anyway, it's unlikely you'll get a gun license unless you are a member of the mafiahighly respected business community. As long as only criminals have guns, I'd say the world is a safer place.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

754 Recommends(s)
588 Recognized(s)

Next

Return to Taiwan Politics