James Soong's potential presidential bid

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Re: James Soong's potential presidential bid

Postby ChewDawg » 05 Dec 2011, 01:11

Muzha Man wrote:Yeah. :thumbsup: More of that. It ain't election time in Taiwan without the crazies. :thumbsup:

So true. Now where is Vorkosigan (Turton) and his hyper dark-green generalizations that appeal to expatriate liberal-arts-educated kindy-teachers-turned-political-activists? :lol: :lol:
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

111 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 05 Dec 2011, 10:05

ChewDawg wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:Yeah. :thumbsup: More of that. It ain't election time in Taiwan without the crazies. :thumbsup:

So true. Now where is Vorkosigan (Turton) and his hyper dark-green generalizations that appeal to expatriate liberal-arts-educated kindy-teachers-turned-political-activists? :lol: :lol:

To be fair, there are a lot of different backgrounds amongst the greenies; for example, there are quite a few university professors, engineers and business owners. From what I have seen, the dominant theme for the expat greenie is taking their civics class lessons about democracy seriously and then applying those ideas here to Taiwan.

Turton may be dark green, and I often disagree with his views. But I wouldn't call him a crazy.

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: Charlie Jack (05 Dec 2011, 14:18), yuli (17 Dec 2011, 14:12)
Rating: 8%
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

1 Recommends(s)
120 Recognized(s)

Postby Betelnut » 08 Dec 2011, 22:37

Good heavens, and I even threw in some sketchy info on the KMT just to try to make my sound less crazy to the totally sound Westerner who has got the entire history of modern Taiwan and China figured out without doing much original research. Why bother when you have it all figured out right? Then there's guys that read all the right books and can't figure out why people would be so upset over the former first lady getting a 5 carat Tiffany with that special fund or whatever...

Betelnut
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 09 Dec 2011, 00:54

Betelnut wrote:why bother when you have it all figured out right?

You are talking about yourself there, bud. I never claimed to have it all figured out. You have though. If such a claim is a sign of lunacy then you've just outed yourself.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

852 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 09 Dec 2011, 01:07

Most of us are just as capable of selecting our leaders as a flock of sheep. A lot of times seems theres just nobody whos a good candidate.

Same as in the USA, where IM pretty sure Obama is going to get re-elected.

Gingrich aint gonna make it.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

619 Recommends(s)
387 Recognized(s)

Postby Betelnut » 16 Dec 2011, 22:17

Not exactly. I do research and ask the right people questions precisely because I don't know enough. Even about my own research. There is still much I don't know about the '04 presidential election and what went on behind the scenes. If you look at my writing, I say when and where I am not sure or where I am speculating.

What I mean about having it all figured out, is the general attitude I see on these forums and a lot of very rigid Westerners who live in Taiwan anywhere from 1 day to 25 years and are very sure about who is right and who is wrong in Taiwan because they have such a black and white point of view of democracy vs. authoritarian government. It's quite simple to them and they shut themselves off from any information or real life stories that might suggest otherwise.

The fact that my research or personal experiences get laughed at on a forum like this points to a mentality of "I know better than you because I know". There's plenty of people like this from all backgrounds. Westerners and local Taiwanese alike. They have 1 faction in their head and believe that it applies to real life in all situations to generalize what the truth is. When in fact, in any given national election, there are more than 10,000 voting stations in Taiwan plus the off-shore islands and a number of things can happen in all of the voting stations either on purpose or by accident and by either party or individual with all kinds of different motivations.

This is what I mean by having it all figured out in your head with a simple factoid that all voting stations have reps from both parties in the voting stations so cheating is not possible.

None of us know what happened in all of the voting stations, but we can study the data provided by the government for all of the voting stations to make certain conclusions and look at cases from each voting station.

Muzha Man wrote:
Betelnut wrote:why bother when you have it all figured out right?

You are talking about yourself there, bud. I never claimed to have it all figured out. You have though. If such a claim is a sign of lunacy then you've just outed yourself.
Betelnut

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 30 Dec 2011, 10:07

Interesting commentary from Tuesday's Taipei Times:

2012 ELECTIONS: Predictions diverge on Tsai’s chances

Former DPP legislator Kuo Cheng-liang (郭正亮) said it was ironic that Tsai’s support rates were higher when she was attacked than when the DPP retaliated with an attack on Ma’s integrity in a bank merger case, which showed that negative campaigning might very well “have the opposite of its desired effect.”

I agree with Kuo Cheng-liang's assessment. I am about as fed up as can be by the unwillingness of either Tsai or Ma to discuss real issues, and just relentlessly attack each other over which side of the bed they sleep on or what brand of toothpaste they use, etc. The fact that both Tsai and Ma can't even seen how the negative campaigning is counter-productive just amazes me. It's become so mind-bogglingly stupid that I no longer consider either one of them fit to be president.

So if I were a Taiwanese, I'd probably be voting for James Soong. Not because I like him, but because it's the only chance you get to protest the clown act that substitutes for presidential debate.
Welcome to the Hotel Forumosa. You can login anytime you like, but you can never leave.
Forumosan avatar
Dog's_Breakfast
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

68 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Taiwan Politics