I see this a little differently. I think many Taiwanese dream of having a farmhouse and growing their own food. (Food is sacrosanct here. Mess with their food or critique it and you have a problem.) Farming veggies is certainly a big part of my Taiwanese families lifestyle. There's bartering going on all the time.
The problem is the cost of farmland. I was given these numbers this week. Farmland price / acre in NTD 1. Taiwan 15 million, 2. Japan 2.4 million, 3. S. Korea 1.5million, 4. Holland 1.4 million, 5. Germany 290,000, 6. France 110,000, 7. USA 90,000. No citation.
Many Taiwanese want to retire to a farm and live there. (Who wouldn't. I do.
My evidence is personal experience. In Hsinchu County I've been cycling the northern area for 8 years. In the past 3 a tremendous amount of land has been replanted, built on, sold, or fenced. It has changed my cycling experience. The land ping price is up at least 4x's. The Taiwanese I see know something is wrong with the quality of food and they are taking steps to grow their own. The urban Taiwanese ignore the polluted fast food at their own peril.
But passing Farmland Regulations in haste is idiotic. Where's the research?
Taiwan is the last Chinese culture that allows land ownership. All the others lease it. Think about that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I sense this Regulation is only 25% of the agriculture land plan. The other 75% is in the "black box" that mainstream media (MSM) isn't prevue to. Hell MSM is pathetic.
The question is who benefits from this hasty Farmland Regulation and why? My answer is corporations and Mainland China. What's yours?