2012 election poll. Head and heart: who will win?

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Who would you like to win the 2012 presidential election? Who do you actually think will win?

Poll ended at 14 Jan 2012, 17:06

Prefer Ma, and I think he'll win
19%
Prefer Ma, but it's too close to call
6%
Prefer Ma, but I think Tsai will win
No votes
Prefer Soong, but I think Ma will win
2%
Prefer Soong, but I think Tsai will win
No votes
Prefer Soong, but it's too close to call
2%
Prefer Tsai, and I think she'll win
6%
Prefer Tsai, but it's too close to call
19%
Prefer Tsai, but I think Ma will win
27%
I have no preference, but I think Ma will win
16%
I have no preference, but I think Tsai will win
2%
I have no preference, and I think it's too close to call
No votes

Total votes : 62

Re: 2012 election poll. Head and heart: who will win?

Postby fanglangzhe » 14 Jan 2012, 20:39

My point is that foreigners in Taiwan (the majority at least) hold a view different BOTH from their home governments and from the people in Taiwan who are eligible to vote. That is a curious position to be in, to say the least.
fanglangzhe
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby LURKER » 14 Jan 2012, 20:47

fanglangzhe wrote:My point is that foreigners in Taiwan (the majority at least) hold a view different BOTH from their home governments and from the people in Taiwan who are eligible to vote. That is a curious position to be in, to say the least.

I am willing to bet that most Westerners in Taiwan are overwhelmingly anti-Beijing (Westerners in general are anti-Beijing). Westerners in Taiwan are particularly likely to be extremely hostile to Beijing, since in recent years, those with neutral or positive feelings for mainland China are likely to be there, trying to get their piece of the "China Miracle".

People in Taiwan who are strongly hostile to Beijing are likely to be suspicious of politicians and political parties that favour closer ties to mainland China. No rocket science there, as far as I can tell.
Forumosan avatar
LURKER
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby FurTrader » 14 Jan 2012, 22:08

LURKER wrote:
fanglangzhe wrote:My point is that foreigners in Taiwan (the majority at least) hold a view different BOTH from their home governments and from the people in Taiwan who are eligible to vote. That is a curious position to be in, to say the least.

I am willing to bet that most Westerners in Taiwan are overwhelmingly anti-Beijing (Westerners in general are anti-Beijing). Westerners in Taiwan are particularly likely to be extremely hostile to Beijing, since in recent years, those with neutral or positive feelings for mainland China are likely to be there, trying to get their piece of the "China Miracle".

Most Westerners and Taiwanese living/working in China feel the same way... just can't say it out loud, of course.
Just because you make money off China doesn't mean you have to like the commies ruling the country. :)
(hope this statement doesn't get Forumosa enrolled in the Great Firewall of China program :roflmao: )
FurTrader

11 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Taiwan Politics