DPP or KMT: Different outcomes re: unification with PRC?

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Re: DPP or KMT: Different outcomes re: unification with PRC?

Postby cyborg_ninja » 04 Feb 2012, 23:38

Muzha Man wrote:
cyborg_ninja wrote:
Hartzell wrote:I am unaware of any reasoning in international law where the subjective determination by one party of a treaty being "unequal" then can be directly equated with "stealing."

Please provide legal references and relevant precedents (in the post-Napoleonic era). I would especially be interested in court decisions where a so-called "unequal treaty" was adjudged to be invalid . . . . . and the details of that decision. I am personally unaware of any such decisions, so please enlighten me.

Here's a list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unequal_treaty

Well if you lose a war, you're gonna get pound in the ass.

You have entirely misread Hartzell's point. Try again please.

My bad, was pretty tired when I read that post ><

Treaties rarely go to courts anyway, when signed by both parties they're binding legal documents. It was called unequal because it turned China from a Superpower to a semi-colonial status.
cyborg_ninja
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Re: DPP or KMT: Different outcomes re: unification with PRC?

Postby Charlie Jack » 05 Feb 2012, 00:40

GuyInTaiwan wrote:If there were a referendum on Taiwan becoming part of China, what numbers would be required? I was always under the impression that referenda around the world were generally a 2/3 thing. Is it 50% here? Because if 2/3 is required and the DPP crowd have a permanent 46%, give or take, it's a non-starter.

As regard to the result of voting for a proposal of referendum, if the number of voters reaches not less than 1/2 of the total persons having the right of voting in the country, municipality or county (city) and more than 1/2 of the valid ballots agree, the proposal is adopted.

If the number of voters does not reach the quantity prescribed in the preceding Paragraph or the consenters are not more than 1/2 of the valid ballots, the proposal is vetoed.
--Referendum Act, Article 30
When things go well for days on end, it is an hilarious accident.
--Kurt Vonnegut, letter to his daughter Nannette
Charlie Jack
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

1179 Recommends(s)
205 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Taiwan Politics