DPP or KMT: Different outcomes re: unification with PRC?

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Re: DPP or KMT: Different outcomes re: unification with PRC?

Postby cyborg_ninja » 04 Feb 2012, 23:38

Muzha Man wrote:
cyborg_ninja wrote:
Hartzell wrote:I am unaware of any reasoning in international law where the subjective determination by one party of a treaty being "unequal" then can be directly equated with "stealing."

Please provide legal references and relevant precedents (in the post-Napoleonic era). I would especially be interested in court decisions where a so-called "unequal treaty" was adjudged to be invalid . . . . . and the details of that decision. I am personally unaware of any such decisions, so please enlighten me.

Here's a list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unequal_treaty

Well if you lose a war, you're gonna get pound in the ass.

You have entirely misread Hartzell's point. Try again please.

My bad, was pretty tired when I read that post ><

Treaties rarely go to courts anyway, when signed by both parties they're binding legal documents. It was called unequal because it turned China from a Superpower to a semi-colonial status.
cyborg_ninja
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Re: DPP or KMT: Different outcomes re: unification with PRC?

Postby Charlie Jack » 05 Feb 2012, 00:40

GuyInTaiwan wrote:If there were a referendum on Taiwan becoming part of China, what numbers would be required? I was always under the impression that referenda around the world were generally a 2/3 thing. Is it 50% here? Because if 2/3 is required and the DPP crowd have a permanent 46%, give or take, it's a non-starter.

As regard to the result of voting for a proposal of referendum, if the number of voters reaches not less than 1/2 of the total persons having the right of voting in the country, municipality or county (city) and more than 1/2 of the valid ballots agree, the proposal is adopted.

If the number of voters does not reach the quantity prescribed in the preceding Paragraph or the consenters are not more than 1/2 of the valid ballots, the proposal is vetoed.
--Referendum Act, Article 30
Charlie Jack
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1104 Recommends(s)
191 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Taiwan Politics