Is Michael Turton worth following?

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Is Michael Turton worth following?

Postby rogerthat » 29 Jan 2012, 15:55

Have been reading Michael Turton's blog on and off but always stop because there seems to be an exaggerated focus on old students he meets, food he eats, etc. Is he worth a sustained effort?
rogerthat
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Is Michael Turton worth following?

Postby ChewDawg » 29 Jan 2012, 16:02

rogerthat wrote:Have been reading Michael Turton's blog on and off but always stop because there seems to be an exaggerated focus on old students he meets, food he eats, etc. Is he worth a sustained effort?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I really enjoy reading his blog even though he's an obvious DPP apologist.

What I am wondering though is why he always takes a break from blogging after an election?

Does it take 3 weeks to wipe away tears? :roflmao: :roflmao: :lol: Or did Chen Chu offer him a gig? :D
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!

This post was recommended by TainanCowboy (29 Jan 2012, 21:35)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

111 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby rogerthat » 29 Jan 2012, 16:19

ChewDawg wrote:he's an obvious DPP apologist

Any good unbiased alternatives out there for Taiwan politics (apart from Forumosa, of course)?
rogerthat
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby ChewDawg » 29 Jan 2012, 16:28

rogerthat wrote:
ChewDawg wrote:he's an obvious DPP apologist

Any good unbiased alternatives out there for Taiwan politics (apart from Forumosa, of course)?

Not really. They're all either pan-blue or pan-green. Turton's blog is pretty tame compared with really partisan blogs such as "Taiwan Matters".

For non politics, I do enjoy reading New Hampshire Bushman in Taiwan's blog. Good food and travel pics.
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg

111 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 29 Jan 2012, 18:04

ChewDawg wrote:
rogerthat wrote:Have been reading Michael Turton's blog on and off but always stop because there seems to be an exaggerated focus on old students he meets, food he eats, etc. Is he worth a sustained effort?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I really enjoy reading his blog even though he's an obvious DPP apologist.

What I am wondering though is why he always takes a break from blogging after an election?

Does it take 3 weeks to wipe away tears? :roflmao: :roflmao: :lol: Or did Chen Chu offer him a gig? :D

I enjoy reading your posts too, even though you are an obvious right wing blow hard. :D :lol: :cool: :)

This post was recommended by TainanCowboy (29 Jan 2012, 21:34)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
468 Recognized(s)

Postby Okami » 29 Jan 2012, 19:04

It's worth it because he links to a lot of other stuff that you may not have seen or heard of. Turton's a Malthusian and he's old. He knows what he knows and no damn facts are going to change the matter. :grandpa:
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

8 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 29 Jan 2012, 21:34

Okami wrote:It's worth it because he links to a lot of other stuff that you may not have seen or heard of. Turton's a Malthusian and he's old. He knows what he knows and no damn facts are going to change the matter. :grandpa:

I see what you've done there... :bravo:
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 29 Jan 2012, 21:56

I agree that Turton is biased but he is quite intelligent. He argues the green point of view fairly well, so for me he is a channel into that mindset. He also has good links to other blogs and news stories. :2cents:
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

1 Recommends(s)
120 Recognized(s)

Postby Mick » 29 Jan 2012, 22:15

Yes. The bias is irrelevant, as anyone wanting to form an opinion of their own uses many sources, its the quality of the content that counts.
Forumosan avatar
Mick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

56 Recommends(s)
105 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 29 Jan 2012, 22:18

You can't be intelligent and argue something that is patently wrong by ignoring the facts. I noticed the bias years ago and discounted his blog with it. I see enough bias in the media already.
I worked in private companies in Taiwan during 2000-2008 period and saw very clearly the economy was in trouble, you wouldn't know that from his blog though. Could clearly see the crap job Chen was doing along with his extremely unstable government. Handy working in a university and being insulated from these problems though isn't it?

Bias is very important or more important the AMOUNT of bias. Because bias results in selective use of the facts and if you have too much bias you end up with more fiction than fact.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1787 Recommends(s)
641 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Taiwan Politics