Is Michael Turton worth following?

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Re: Is Michael Turton worth following?

Postby trubadour » 02 Feb 2012, 19:06

Obviously, it's his choice! I'm not suggesting that he should write it according to what I believe. I was trying to answer the OP (who expressed the opposite of what I think).

To be sure, his blog is worth following but not for the politics!

I think he's in his element when he's out on his bike meeting the locals and taking pictures of butterflies. The whole paranoid politico side is just bad propaganda.
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 04 Feb 2012, 08:35

rogerthat wrote:Have been reading Michael Turton's blog on and off but always stop because there seems to be an exaggerated focus on old students he meets, food he eats, etc. Is he worth a sustained effort?

Who?
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby tommy525 » 04 Feb 2012, 12:35

Is this a personal witch hunt? I guess its ok if the personage is a well known blogger, but holding the punches is a good thing (as has been happening largely).
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby Weinstock » 29 Jun 2012, 06:01

Before I follow Michael Turton, I want to know where he gets his funding from
Weinstock
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Chris » 29 Jun 2012, 06:40

Weinstock wrote:Before I follow Michael Turton, I want to know where he gets his funding from

Nobody.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

86 Recommends(s)
193 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 30 Jun 2012, 12:50

I always kinda thought muchaman was turton? guess not.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby Xeno » 13 Jul 2014, 19:39

TaipeiDawg wrote:Obviously, his political leanings are totally green - that's his blog and his choice. It's not like he's the only one in this province who supports the green party politically. Other foreigners here have created blue political blogs but they petered out. Michael sticks with it. Basically, he does more to bring Taiwan to the world than all of the grumpy bastards posting on here combined and should be commended for that. If you use his blog as an exclusive source for political information that's your own fault. There's plenty of other non-political stuff there - a lot of informative links and great photos.

This is worth repeating. You don't have to agree with a blogger to follow them. Blogging is meant to be individual... and those individuals who stick with blogging tend to be fairly opinionated. Michael wears his biases on his sleeve, puts a lot of effort into cultivating great content, and writes from the heart. You can't really ask for too much more in my opinion... and anyone who is new to Taiwan would do well to both follow his blog and rummage through his archives. There's an incredible wealth of experience to tap into there and it doesn't cost a thing apart from time. Maybe his commentary will be less interesting if you're a hard-nosed political observer or a long-term Taiwan expat, but for the rest of us... there's plenty of good stuff there.

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: headhonchoII (13 Jul 2014, 21:44), maoman (13 Jul 2014, 21:27)
Rating: 8%
Forumosan avatar
Xeno
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

93 Recommends(s)
128 Recognized(s)

Postby jesus80 » 13 Jul 2014, 22:53

he is not MuchaMan. I'm sure I met him in person in one of my first scooter trips, years ago. He looked like a nice guy but he had something like er... how to say... a very good opinion of himself or something. Too aassertive perhaps. He was cycling somewhere around number 7, and he made me know who much loved to live here in Taiwan, which was pretty much to work some days of the week, and to cycle the rest. It actually sounds good. :P

As for the blog itself, I guess I can say the same than what I said about the person. Normally I like points of view that are slightly moderated, open to other postures and points of view, not just "I'm right 100%, others are wrong".

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: ChewDawg (13 Jul 2014, 23:27), Hokwongwei (13 Jul 2014, 23:30)
Rating: 8%
Forumosan avatar
jesus80
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

1 Recommends(s)
120 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Taiwan Politics