Curiously absent global warming debate

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Curiously absent global warming debate

Postby rogerthat » 17 Feb 2012, 11:06

It strikes me as odd that global warming takes up such a small place in Taiwan's public discourse despite the obvious risks it poses to the island's economy. Sure, Sisy Chen did a documentary a while back but we're not seeing the kind of existential angst gripping the western publics. Is my impression wrong? Do Taiwanese care? Any NGOs that concerned citizens can turn to? Any scientists doing research in support of (or debunking) the warming theory?
rogerthat
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Curiously absent global warming debate

Postby Deuce Dropper » 17 Feb 2012, 11:07

Tainan Cowboy's excellent work on Forumosa has ended the discussion in this country.

This post was recommended by TainanCowboy (17 Feb 2012, 12:51)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

81 Recommends(s)
408 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 17 Feb 2012, 11:12

Do Taiwanese care? Any NGOs that concerned citizens can turn to? Any scientists doing research in support of (or debunking) the warming theory?

No.

This is Taiwan, and the laws of physics do not apply here. That's why, for example, people can turn right on red and not get flattened.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

757 Recommends(s)
590 Recognized(s)

Postby TaipeiDawg » 17 Feb 2012, 15:34

Deuce Dropper wrote:Tainan Cowboy's excellent work on Forumosa has ended the discussion in this country.
I think he is soon to end it globally as well.
Rush Limbaugh on a former morgue worker sentenced for abusing corpses: "You might be saying what -- what does this have to do with the Obama economy? Is it not clear, my friends? You don't have to take a corpse out to dinner. You don't have to buy a corpse a drink or a bottle of wine. You don't have to take the corpse anywhere in the car so you don't spend any fuel. They have -- you have a pervert here who chooses the cheapest way he can go all because of the Obama economy."
TaipeiDawg
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby Charlie Jack » 17 Feb 2012, 16:12

There was an interesting piece on a related subject in yesterday's Taipei Times. The piece didn't seem to concern itself as much with global warming per se as with the effect of other countries' carbon taxes on the competitiveness of Taiwan's electronics sector. Now, I don't know anything about that subject, so I can't say whether the piece was accurate or not. But I do think it was interesting. Here's an excerpt:

There is an inevitable trend among the world’s main industrialized countries toward levying cross-border carbon taxes aimed at protecting their own manufacturing industries and providing more job opportunities. These countries’ strategy is to impose non-tariff trade barriers in the name of environmental protection and all links in the global supply chain are beginning to feel the pressure.

Many Taiwanese consumer electronics manufacturers, such as Acer and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co, are already aware that this pressure will throw them into crisis before very long.
--Jay Fang, "Industry in need of ‘green energy’"
Charlie Jack
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1105 Recommends(s)
191 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 17 Feb 2012, 16:24

Actually, the official government's position is that it will happen. Most statements do not start with "if" but rather preparation, like flood prevention, energy conservation, etc. True, from word to ded ther eis a big gap, but mostly, you will see that the discussion centers on what to do rather than "won't happen".
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

599 Recommends(s)
474 Recognized(s)

Postby Okami » 17 Feb 2012, 18:26

Crony capitalism, higher taxes, more excess regulation by unelected bureaucrats that can be bullied by the right legislator for a proper donation. I wonder why it isn't getting a fuller hearing in society. :roll:
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

8 Recommends(s)
20 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 17 Feb 2012, 20:17

Okami wrote:Crony capitalism, higher taxes, more excess regulation by unelected bureaucrats that can be bullied by the right legislator for a proper donation. I wonder why it isn't getting a fuller hearing in society. :roll:

More Morakot level flooding, fewer rainy days but more rain overall so more killer landslides (this is the landslide capital of the world already), more winter droughts and summer water rationing, eroding sealines, destruction of coral reefs, loss of fishing industry, hotter summers but mroe expensive electricity so less use of air con, etc etc.

Yeah, it is a wonder it isn't getting a fuller hearing in this society.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

716 Recognized(s)

Postby Hartzell » 17 Feb 2012, 20:36

rogerthat wrote:It strikes me as odd that global warming takes up such a small place in Taiwan's public discourse despite the obvious risks it poses to the island's economy . . . . . . Is my impression wrong? Do Taiwanese care? Any NGOs that concerned citizens can turn to? Any scientists doing research in support of (or debunking) the warming theory?

Unlike other islands in the world which have large cities, like New Zealand, Taiwan doesn't have any glaciers. If there were some glaciers in Taiwan, the "global warming" effects would be more noticeable . . . . . . and I assume more discussed in the local coffee shops, pubs, and on the news commentary programs.

New Zealand Glaciers [Wikipedia]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaciers_of_New_Zealand

Taiwan Glaciers [Wikipedia]
The page "Taiwan glaciers" does not exist.
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

19 Recognized(s)

Postby Fox » 17 Feb 2012, 21:37

rogerthat wrote:It strikes me as odd that global warming takes up such a small place in Taiwan's public discourse despite the obvious risks it poses to the island's economy. Sure, Sisy Chen did a documentary a while back but we're not seeing the kind of existential angst gripping the western publics. Is my impression wrong? Do Taiwanese care? Any NGOs that concerned citizens can turn to? Any scientists doing research in support of (or debunking) the warming theory?

In the scientific community you cannot read a single article in earth science relating to the seas or weather that doesn't in some way reference or make considerations for global warming. Taiwan's museums are now cataloging species in preparation for the next big species die out. This is directly related to the perceived risk from global warming. Taiwan is not caught up in the silly US political dog fight about global warming. They are not into pseudo science, except when it comes to Chi-gong.
"When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her." Wilde

"I don't know where the sun beams end and the star light begins. It's all a mystery." Flaming Lips

"a man's position here is not ruled so much by what he can earn as by what he can owe and still remain at large." Letters of a Shanghai Griffin

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

The American oligarchy spares no pains in promoting the belief that it does not exist, but the success of its disappearing act depends on equally strenuous efforts on the part of an American public anxious to believe in egalitarian fictions and unwilling to see what is hidden in plain sight.
redbubble
http://www.planetediting.com
Forumosan avatar
Fox

56 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Next

Return to Taiwan Politics