A-Bian is sick

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Re: A-Bian is sick

Postby headhonchoII » 16 Mar 2012, 01:44

Charlie Phillips wrote:
ChewDawg wrote:There are lots of prisoners in Supermax prisons in the US that are fit as a fiddle. Why? Because they do 1000s of push ups and sit ups in their cell, which are on 24-hour lockdown.

Yes, let's use US supermax prisons as a global standard...and extend those conditions to everyone.

Amazingly he didn't turn it into a 'blame those lefty liberals and get a dig in at forumosa disciminative policies in the past' post.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1474 Recommends(s)
551 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 16 Mar 2012, 02:16

headhonchoII wrote:
Charlie Phillips wrote:
ChewDawg wrote:There are lots of prisoners in Supermax prisons in the US that are fit as a fiddle. Why? Because they do 1000s of push ups and sit ups in their cell, which are on 24-hour lockdown.

Yes, let's use US supermax prisons as a global standard...and extend those conditions to everyone.

Amazingly he didn't turn it into a 'blame those lefty liberals and get a dig in at forumosa disciminative policies in the past' post.

Well, obviously push ups and sit ups are the way to avoid heart disease, physical and moral corruption, and masturbation. Only someone with a liberal arts degree could disagree.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

80 Recommends(s)
158 Recognized(s)

Postby ChewDawg » 16 Mar 2012, 11:13

Charlie Phillips wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:
Charlie Phillips wrote:

Well, obviously push ups and sit ups are the way to avoid heart disease, physical and moral corruption, and masturbation. Only someone with a liberal arts degree could disagree.

I am saying that even with restrictive living conditions, many prisoners are fitness gurus because they have nothing but time on their hands. I have no problem with Chen doing some type of work outside of his cell (not a country club prison with hot springs though) as prisoners should have the right to be productive (albeit at a low wage). But don't be swarmy and blame the health problems on a lack of exercise. Anyone who wants to keep fit in a cell can do so. Blame the health problems on years of neglect.

I'm sure they'll then complain that menial tasks are below his former president status and are putting strain on his weak heart or whatever. Once it would be nice to see a politico just say "yeah I fucked up, I deserve my punishment and I am sorry." I wonder if Chen showed such remorse, if the system would be kinder to him.
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
107 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby Betelnut » 02 May 2012, 01:00

First Lady Wu Su-Zhen knew the first family would be facing corruption charges if they did not stay in power in 2004, and thus it was absolutely necessary for him to be reelected that year, so that's why we had all that funny business in March 2004. They pulled out all the stops by even invalidating ballots in deep blue areas like Jinmen.

So staying in power basically delayed their indictments, which happened anyway in 2006 because the prosecutor(s) went after them anyway. The Chen's family's problems actually got worse by staying in power.

Since Chen was not able to keep the DPP as the ruling party in 2008, he got shipped off to prison for the charges they could get him on.

From the KMT's point of view, I don't think they would be that upset about his family taking bribes and tax payer money through other means because that's understandable to them. What they don't like is him cheating them out of power in 2004 which nearly caused some old school KMT guys to seriously consider removing him by force from the Presidential Office and thereby disregarding the rigged election.

But the KMT doesn't like talking about election fraud because it's also their own cup of tea, so they put him away for what they could get him for.

That's the other side of the story.

Or you can believe the whole Beijing/KMT are just upset the people didn't vote for them in 2000 and 2004 so they don't respect democratically elected leaders and don't want Taiwanese people running the ROC government.
Betelnut
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby segalman » 27 Mar 2013, 12:16

They want to keep him sick and in prison because they know how truly popular he is. They were probably
even afraid he would be elected again if he were out. (Are there term limits on the presidency in Taiwan)?
segalman
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby funkymonkey » 27 Mar 2013, 12:28

segalman wrote:They want to keep him sick and in prison because they know how truly popular he is.

Maybe "they" want to keep him in prison because he is a crook and prison is exactly where he deserves to be.
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

31 Recognized(s)

Postby hansioux » 27 Mar 2013, 13:08

the supermax prisons in the US now-a-days aren't dark and damp like Taipei's fungi farm prisons.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
Forumosan avatar
hansioux
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

406 Recommends(s)
459 Recognized(s)

Postby Hokwongwei » 27 Mar 2013, 18:32

No high-ranking members of the green camp dared to talk about A-bian openly until his health started declining. If you're going to come up with ridiculous conspiracy theories, at least make them make sense; here's mine: the Greens want A-bian to die in prison before 2016 so they can get sympathy votes. Wow, coming up with this crap really is easy.
This is a highly proper signature.
Forumosan avatar
Hokwongwei
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

587 Recommends(s)
583 Recognized(s)

Postby segalman » 28 Mar 2013, 10:56

funkymonkey wrote:
segalman wrote:They want to keep him sick and in prison because they know how truly popular he is.

Maybe "they" want to keep him in prison because he is a crook and prison is exactly where he deserves to be.

Maybe/

However, the Thoreau-Emerson situation seems to apply very well here: According to some accounts, Emerson visited Thoreau in jail and asked, “Henry, what are you doing in there?” Thoreau replied, “Waldo, the question is what are you doing out there?” That was in the context of Thoreau's protest against the U.S. involvement in Mexico in 1846.
segalman

Postby TaipeiDawg » 07 Apr 2013, 22:37

funkymonkey wrote:

If prison is the place political crooks actually deserve to be he'd have a lot more company.
Rush Limbaugh on a former morgue worker sentenced for abusing corpses: "You might be saying what -- what does this have to do with the Obama economy? Is it not clear, my friends? You don't have to take a corpse out to dinner. You don't have to buy a corpse a drink or a bottle of wine. You don't have to take the corpse anywhere in the car so you don't spend any fuel. They have -- you have a pervert here who chooses the cheapest way he can go all because of the Obama economy."
TaipeiDawg
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Taiwan Politics