The Deportation of Ben Hlavaty

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

The Deportation of Ben Hlavaty

Postby ChewDawg » 05 Apr 2012, 10:19

First of all,it's brutal that anyone with a Taiwan national as a child could be deported, especially when they have done nothing wrong.

That being said, this again should serve as a warning that foreigners should not work for Taiwan government ministries/quasi-government entities. At the end of the day, their continued employment depends on the goodwill of the Secretary General or Director of that organization and the political appointment nature of these organizations often means real pricks and sycophants will be appointed. That makes foreigners vulnerable as they don't have the same degree of protection as normal civil servants.

Ben criticizes the Ma administration for firing him without cause, but this was also done by Chen's hacks under the DPP. Furthermore, his writings have been pretty anti-corporate/business. Perhaps the Ma administration didn't want a troublemaking foreigner in such a position. Still breaking up a family is pretty nasty.

And by taking them to arbitration over wrongful dismissal? Really bad strategy on his part. You are only asking for trouble. He made them lose face and they did what they could to screw him. He shouldn't have went after the 3 months salary. Or he should have found employment before taking on his old employer. You only should bad mouth your ex-employer if your new one has more guanxi!!! :lol:

A foreign national and single father to a Taiwanese son is facing deportation for allegedly working illegally for the government-linked Taiwan Foundation for Democracy (TFD) in a case that raises questions over how the government handled the case.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ ... 03529394/1

Despite environmental damage and protests causing many mining companies to leave the Philippines in the 1980s, the Philippines-based Lepanto Mining is continuing its highly controversial operations in Mankayan in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).

What is more, some transnational mining corporations are making deals with the administration of President Gloria Arroyo to get in on the schemes. The latest of these, and one whose recent gold-mining operations have been causing irrevocable damage to the environment, is the Australian mining company Royalco.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editori ... 03443093/1
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
110 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Re: The Deportation of Ben Hlavaty

Postby headhonchoII » 05 Apr 2012, 11:02

It sounds like he needs a better lawyer.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1719 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby milkalex » 05 Apr 2012, 11:17

from what I read I misunderstood the concept of ARC and working permit. They renewed his ARC but not his working permit and he simply failed to double check. It's really harsh to deport him but it is his own fault in my point of view. Perhaps he can come back on a new visa?
milkalex
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

7 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 05 Apr 2012, 11:19

milkalex wrote:from what I read I misunderstood the concept of ARC and working permit. They renewed his ARC but not his working permit...

How did they renew his ARC without a new work permit? Seems like something is missing?
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

261 Recommends(s)
195 Recognized(s)

Postby milkalex » 05 Apr 2012, 11:21

I am having the same problem right now (wrote it in the other thread) - an ARC and working permit are two different things. However he worked there three months illegal and even wants that pay for the three months.. that's what caused the problems.. just a little bit stupid if you ask me
milkalex

7 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Okami » 05 Apr 2012, 11:31

You need a work permit to get your ARC renewed, IIRC. Why is his son being separated from him?(if that's the case)
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

8 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 05 Apr 2012, 13:08

ChewDawg wrote:First of all,it's brutal that anyone with a Taiwan national as a child could be deported, especially when they have done nothing wrong.

That being said, this again should serve as a warning that foreigners should not work for Taiwan government ministries/quasi-government entities. At the end of the day, their continued employment depends on the goodwill of the Secretary General or Director of that organization and the political appointment nature of these organizations often means real pricks and sycophants will be appointed. That makes foreigners vulnerable as they don't have the same degree of protection as normal civil servants.

Ben criticizes the Ma administration for firing him without cause, but this was also done by Chen's hacks under the DPP. Furthermore, his writings have been pretty anti-corporate/business. Perhaps the Ma administration didn't want a troublemaking foreigner in such a position. Still breaking up a family is pretty nasty.

And by taking them to arbitration over wrongful dismissal? Really bad strategy on his part. You are only asking for trouble. He made them lose face and they did what they could to screw him. He shouldn't have went after the 3 months salary. Or he should have found employment before taking on his old employer. You only should bad mouth your ex-employer if your new one has more guanxi!!! :lol:

A foreign national and single father to a Taiwanese son is facing deportation for allegedly working illegally for the government-linked Taiwan Foundation for Democracy (TFD) in a case that raises questions over how the government handled the case.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ ... 03529394/1

Despite environmental damage and protests causing many mining companies to leave the Philippines in the 1980s, the Philippines-based Lepanto Mining is continuing its highly controversial operations in Mankayan in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).

What is more, some transnational mining corporations are making deals with the administration of President Gloria Arroyo to get in on the schemes. The latest of these, and one whose recent gold-mining operations have been causing irrevocable damage to the environment, is the Australian mining company Royalco.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editori ... 03443093/1

Correct me if I am wrong, but surely he was legible for a JFRV?
My understanding is that if you have a child with a Taiwanese national and are not married/divorced, the authorities will grant you a JFRV until the child is 18, so you can support him/her?

Not sure if he was ever married, so maybe it only is applicable with divorce?
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Okami » 05 Apr 2012, 14:13

bigduke6 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but surely he was legible for a JFRV?
My understanding is that if you have a child with a Taiwanese national and are not married/divorced, the authorities will grant you a JFRV until the child is 18, so you can support him/her?

You're wrong according to Housecat. She tried to get a JFRV ARC through her son and was shot down. Nobody here wants you and your mongrel children further polluting the blood of the noble Han race.
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami

8 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 05 Apr 2012, 14:50

Okami wrote:
bigduke6 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but surely he was legible for a JFRV?

You're wrong according to Housecat. She tried to get a JFRV ARC through her son and was shot down. Nobody here wants you and your mongrel children further polluting the blood of the noble Han race.

I think the Han race is already as polluted as the drain under my kitchen window....

However, I did read somewhere on this forum that they would grant a JFRV in order for a parent to support a Taiwan national until they are 18. I will try to find the relevant posting. I think it might be only on the death of a spouse?

Maybe someone with more knowledge of the relevant laws can advise?

EDIT: Found the post: http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... e#p1383628
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 05 Apr 2012, 15:24

How did they renew his ARC without a new work permit? Seems like something is missing?

It happened to me. I got an ARC and the immigration office mixed up my work permit with that of another person. The other person's work permit expired well before my ARC expired and the problem was spotted when I went to renew my ARC. I was to be deported, and the only reason I didn't get kicked out is because I know a couple of key people in immigration who pulled a couple of strings for me. I still had to pay a fine and it was very touch and go.
Of course, I should have double checked and spotted the mistake - a mistake made entirely by the immigration authority - but even though the mistake was theirs, they immigration authority had no intention of sucking up the blame.
You have to be so careful.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Taiwan Politics