Stop Reactor No.1 of the 2nd Nuclear Power Plant

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Stop Reactor No.1 of the 2nd Nuclear Power Plant

Postby mingwangx » 16 Apr 2012, 09:19

Here is a letter for foreign friends in Taiwan:
http://birdgrass.blogspot.com/2012/04/s ... rmosa.html

7 anchor bolt in Reactor No.1 of the 2nd Nuclear Power Plant were found broken during the most recent annual maintenance, and broken bolts in the base were never heard before, in the whole world. The annual maintenance will be finished on 20th April.

Please let more people know and help us to stop Reactor No.1 of the 2nd Nuclear Power Plant reactivating.
mingwangx
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Stop Reactor No.1 of the 2nd Nuclear Power Plant

Postby TainanCowboy » 16 Apr 2012, 14:08

7 anchor bolt in Reactor No.1 of the 2nd Nuclear Power Plant were found broken during the most recent annual maintenance,...

Well, the relevant question that comes to mind is...Did they fix/replace the broken bolts?

This answer would be good to know.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby mingwangx » 16 Apr 2012, 14:55

TainanCowboy wrote:
7 anchor bolt in Reactor No.1 of the 2nd Nuclear Power Plant were found broken during the most recent annual maintenance,...

Well, the relevant question that comes to mind is...Did they fix/replace the broken bolts?

This answer would be good to know.

They replace 6 of the 7 broken bolts. One of the broken bolts is located in a small space with pipes and wires so it is not fixed or replaced yet.

In this news(Chinese), the vice director of the 2nd Nuclear Power Plant said that even if the broken bolts are not fixed, it is still safe.
http://iservice.libertytimes.com.tw/liv ... 0%E8%81%9E

It is terrifying to hear such a brave statement from a nuclear power plant officer.
mingwangx

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Taffy » 16 Apr 2012, 15:05

mingwangx wrote:It is terrifying to hear such a brave statement from a nuclear power plant officer.

Is he wrong? I mean, things being broken is never good, but it could be something that really does have no impact on safety. Nuclear power is such an emotive issue for some people that there is tremendous confirmation bias in some criticisms of the nuclear industry.
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 16 Apr 2012, 15:13

Bit of gaffer tape, she'll be right mate. It's only nuclear fission after all, what could possibly go wrong?
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

30 Recommends(s)
107 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 16 Apr 2012, 15:19

I agree. Maybe it was holding up a coffee cup holder. Or maybe it was securing the lid of a pressure containment vessel. It doesn't really matter. What matters is that routine maintenance is actually carried out.

Stuff also breaks on planes all the time - it's normal. It's only scary when nobody does anything about it.
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

4 Recommends(s)
64 Recognized(s)

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 22 Apr 2012, 16:18

The mentality (and ignorance) of the anti-nuke community is such that even routine maintenance is considered "a nuclear accident." By their thinking, replacing worn out tires or brake pads on a car is equivalent to a car accident.
Welcome to the Hotel Forumosa. You can login anytime you like, but you can never leave.
Forumosan avatar
Dog's_Breakfast
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

63 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 22 Apr 2012, 16:23

The world's biggest coal fired power plant is in Taichung. Can you not protest about that first...that's filling the air with so much crap...NOW.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1739 Recommends(s)
623 Recognized(s)

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 22 Apr 2012, 16:34

headhonchoII wrote:The world's biggest coal fired power plant is in Taichung. Can you not protest about that first...that's filling the air with so much crap...NOW.

Good point, Headhoncho, and let me add that where the anti-nuke movement has succeeded in shutting down perfectly functioning nuclear power plants (ie Japan, Germany) this has been followed by a large upsurge in burning coal as a replacement. Yes, we'd all like to think that wind farms and solar panels will replace nukes, but so far it's been mainly coal.

It's bad enough that coal releases lots of CO2, sulfur (responsible for acid rain) and fly ash (particulate pollution). But ironically, coal ash contaminates with more radiation than leaks from nuclear power plants. And no, I didn't pull that out of my ass, some documentation (and plenty more available if you look for it):

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... lear-waste

http://yarchive.net/nuke/coal_radiation.html

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/1997/fs163-97/FS-163-97.html
Welcome to the Hotel Forumosa. You can login anytime you like, but you can never leave.
Forumosan avatar
Dog's_Breakfast

63 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 22 Apr 2012, 17:45

headhonchoII wrote:The world's biggest coal fired power plant is in Taichung. Can you not protest about that first...that's filling the air with so much crap...NOW.

Come ON! That's not sexy at ALL! Nukes, man! DUDE! NUKES! :noway: :noway: :noway:
Anyway, I was just down there at Wuqi last weekend and the shit spewing out of the five -- count 'em -- giant motherfucking smokestacks was obliterating everything from Qingshui in the north to Lukang in the south. Hey, if you can't even SEE the facility from 100 metres away, how bad can it be? :lol: :lol: :lol:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Taiwan Politics