Bridge between China and Taiwan

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Postby spyfire27 » 18 Apr 2012, 22:00

I made a presentation about my country today in class. I talked about a long bridge (12 km) that we have in my country, and I wanted to give an idea of the length by comparing with the distance there is between Taiwan and China. I said that if we want to build a bridge between Taiwan and China, it would have about 8.8 km. My Taiwanese teacher said that Taiwanese people don't want to build such a bridge, although it's been in the news for quite some time, and I think they even started to build a part of it.

I regret talking about that bridge because it raised a delicate issue with China. Do you think such kind of things would bother Taiwanese people?
spyfire27
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Bridge between China and Taiwan

Postby cfimages » 18 Apr 2012, 22:51

A bridge to Taiwan itself would need to be a lot longer than 8.8km. Think 200km or something like that. A bridge to Kinmen (Jinmen) or Mazu might be 8.8km.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

219 Recommends(s)
215 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 18 Apr 2012, 23:05

The Chinese do have a crazy plan for a bridge between Taiwan mainland and the China mainland, I'm not sure how feasible that is in reality. The Taiwan strait isn't that deep but it would be by far the longest bridge in the world. I believe the Chinese would do it just to make a point though.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1719 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 18 Apr 2012, 23:12

They are starting a bridge between Xiao Kinmen (Jinmen) and Da Kinmen (Jinmen) - next month.(http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/offshore-islands/2011/01/10/287016/Construction-of.html)

The next step is to link Kinmen (Jinmen) with Xiamen. Will take time though..
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 22 Apr 2012, 21:29

When Lee Tenghui was president, he had an obsessive desire to build tunnels. He proposed four, but only one got built eventually (the one from Taipei to Yilan), and it was way over budget and took much longer than anyone expected. Also planned was a tunnel from Puli to Hualian and Pingdong to Taidong, but engineers said it was basically impossible. Most ambitious of all was a 140km tunnel from Taiwan to mainland China (via Penghu, I think). If I'm not mistaken, Lee's motive was basically to show the world what a great nation Taiwan is because "ours is bigger." Same mentality went into building Taipei 101, world's tallest building (until recently when Dubai got the highest).

Short bridges and tunnels can be economically justified, but really long ones are almost never cost effective. Aside from the cost of construction, they are a maintenance nightmare. Even the Kinmen (Jinmen) bridge looks to me like a white elephant. I doubt that it will ever generate enough revenue to pay for itself. And I really don't see what is so bad about using a ferry.
Welcome to the Hotel Forumosa. You can login anytime you like, but you can never leave.
Forumosan avatar
Dog's_Breakfast
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

63 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 23 Apr 2012, 10:54

headhonchoII wrote:The Chinese do have a crazy plan for a bridge between Taiwan mainland and the China mainland, I'm not sure how feasible that is in reality. The Taiwan strait isn't that deep but it would be by far the longest bridge in the world. I believe the Chinese would do it just to make a point though.

Any way you can add substance to this claim? I doubt very much anyone would build a bridge that long.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

29 Recommends(s)
107 Recognized(s)

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 23 Apr 2012, 18:00

the bear wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:The Chinese do have a crazy plan for a bridge between Taiwan mainland and the China mainland, I'm not sure how feasible that is in reality. The Taiwan strait isn't that deep but it would be by far the longest bridge in the world. I believe the Chinese would do it just to make a point though.

Any way you can add substance to this claim? I doubt very much anyone would build a bridge that long.

I'm not the above poster, but there is a ludicrous (I think) bridge being built between Hong Kong and Macau, a length of 50 km. I say "ludicrous" because I can't imagine it being an improvement on the current high-speed ferry service, which takes under an hour and departures every 15 minutes or so.

Maybe it's being built for prestige. It probably isn't for political reasons, since both Hong Kong and Macau are now officially part of China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong- ... cau_Bridge

Prior to this, China did successfully complete the Hangzhou Bay Bridge, which at 35 km is impressive. Also not sure it's economically justified. It was a very challenging thing to build, and I wonder if it will last.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangzhou_Bay_Bridge

Maybe a better analogy to a China-Taiwan bridge would be the Qinghai-Tibet Railway, especially the 1142-km section linking Golmud with Lhasa. I'm sure politics was involved, to symbolically link Tibet to "the Motherland." Very difficult construction, and many didn't think it was possible as it involved drilling through unstable mountains of ice. Maybe it won't last long, but who knows? They are supposed to be extending it to Nepal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qinghai%E2 ... et_Railway
Welcome to the Hotel Forumosa. You can login anytime you like, but you can never leave.
Forumosan avatar
Dog's_Breakfast

63 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 23 Apr 2012, 20:23

Build it and they will come...with tanks and bombs and truck loads of dodgy food :eek:

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/9077 ... 85964.html

The Chinese build a lot of their infrastructure for prestige and nationalism. They don't actually care too much if it is not economic. Plus imagine the kickbacks on the contracts!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1719 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 23 Apr 2012, 20:35

headhonchoII wrote:Build it and they will come...with tanks and bombs and truck loads of dodgy food :eek:

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/9077 ... 85964.html

jesus christ....there goes the fuckin' neighborhood.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear

29 Recommends(s)
107 Recognized(s)

Postby Betelnut » 02 May 2012, 00:45

Did Lee propose a bridge from Taiwan to Okinawa or the Japanese mainland? That would have made him quite happy I think.

Dog's_Breakfast wrote:When Lee Tenghui was president, he had an obsessive desire to build tunnels. He proposed four, but only one got built eventually (the one from Taipei to Yilan), and it was way over budget and took much longer than anyone expected. Also planned was a tunnel from Puli to Hualian and Pingdong to Taidong, but engineers said it was basically impossible. Most ambitious of all was a 140km tunnel from Taiwan to mainland China (via Penghu, I think). If I'm not mistaken, Lee's motive was basically to show the world what a great nation Taiwan is because "ours is bigger." Same mentality went into building Taipei 101, world's tallest building (until recently when Dubai got the highest).

Short bridges and tunnels can be economically justified, but really long ones are almost never cost effective. Aside from the cost of construction, they are a maintenance nightmare. Even the Kinmen (Jinmen) (Jinmen) bridge looks to me like a white elephant. I doubt that it will ever generate enough revenue to pay for itself. And I really don't see what is so bad about using a ferry.
Betelnut
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

10 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Taiwan Politics