Bridge between China and Taiwan

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Re: Bridge between China and Taiwan

Postby Weinstock » 29 Jun 2012, 06:19

spyfire27 wrote:I made a presentation about my country today in class. I talked about a long bridge (12 km) that we have in my country, and I wanted to give an idea of the length by comparing with the distance there is between Taiwan and China. I said that if we want to build a bridge between Taiwan and China, it would have about 8.8 km. My Taiwanese teacher said that Taiwanese people don't want to build such a bridge, although it's been in the news for quite some time, and I think they even started to build a part of it.

I regret talking about that bridge because it raised a delicate issue with China. Do you think such kind of things would bother Taiwanese people?

If you really wanted to know what Taiwanese people thought, then you wouldn't be asking this in an English forum.
Weinstock
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby jediknight » 05 Jul 2012, 17:27

Betelnut wrote:Did Lee propose a bridge from Taiwan to Okinawa or the Japanese mainland? That would have made him quite happy I think.

Even Lee Teng-Hui's belief in Japanese technology has its limits.
jediknight
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby BAH » 06 Jul 2012, 13:46

the bear wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:The Chinese do have a crazy plan for a bridge between Taiwan mainland and the China mainland, I'm not sure how feasible that is in reality. The Taiwan strait isn't that deep but it would be by far the longest bridge in the world. I believe the Chinese would do it just to make a point though.

Any way you can add substance to this claim? I doubt very much anyone would build a bridge that long.

http://www.china-highway.com/bbs/attach ... 017013.jpg

Edited to remove inlined picture because it was just too big.

Also to add: China's got a telephone area code reserved for Taipei too (026). Dream on.
Forumosan avatar
BAH
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby 2Enigma » 09 Jul 2012, 19:45

Would you you drive on it? Doesn't matter which country builds it, I would not even consider walking on it.
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel
2Enigma
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

38 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Previous

Return to Taiwan Politics