Warren Christopher said to have pissed himself with fright in Taiwan

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Warren Christopher said to have pissed himself with fright in Taiwan

Postby Omniloquacious » 26 Apr 2012, 08:25

According to a headline story in today’s local “news”, a long-serving employee of the Grand Hotel has said that Warren Christopher pissed in his pants (挫尿 in Taiwanese) when confronted by an angry, egg-throwing crowd at the hotel in December 1978 after the US announced its decision to switch diplomatic recognition from the ROC to the PRC.

The report describes how Christopher was sent by Carter to negotiate terms of the switch with CKS and was supposed to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the negotiations, but was blocked by large crowds of protesters. His car got pelted by the protesters, and his eyebrow was cut by broken glass. He sought sanctuary in the US Taiwan Military Defense Command headquarters (where the Taipei Fine Arts Museum now stands), and wanted to abort the negotiations and leave Taiwan. But he was ordered by Washington to stay and negotiate, with the negotiating venue switched to the Grand Hotel. The hotel employee reported that his suit trousers were wet at the crotch when he gave them to hotel staff to be cleaned before his meeting with CKS.

I’ve read various reports about the hostility faced by Americans (or Westerners assumed to be Americans) in Taiwan at that time, who got cursed, spat at and worse if they dared venture outside their homes. It must have been quite scary.
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
69 Recommends(s)
202 Recognized(s)

Re: Warren Christopher said to have pissed himself with fright in Taiwan

Postby Nuit » 26 Apr 2012, 11:40

Having also once pissed myself with fright (well, a small squirt before I regained bladder control), I fully empathise with Mr Christopher. They must have been interesting times. You can imagine him pleading on the phone to be flown home.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
103 Recognized(s)

Postby austin » 29 Apr 2012, 00:26

If you are interested in this subject, you might enjoy a visit to the original American Embassy in Taipei. Now it is a coffee shop. The walls have pictures of Eisenhower who met CKS there in about 1955 to affirm that even though China was bombarding Taiwan's islands nearest China, US would protect Taiwan from China. When I asked the staff about the building, none of them seemed understand a) they would speak Japanese except for US's help, b) China would have eaten them for lunch in 1955 except for the Americans. They were surprised to know the building had this history. When I pointed to the pictures on the walls, they said they'd never noticed them. They just knew it was some old building that used to be something other than a coffee shop. It's interesting that there seems to be know photo of Eisenhower smiling with CKS who is constantly putting on a huge smile in every photo opp. Picture is worth a 1000 words. Jimmy Ord and General Stillwell had told Ike what kind of person CKS was
austin
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

5 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 29 Apr 2012, 10:35

A buffoon?

Hey, BTW, where is that coffee shop located?
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

222 Recommends(s)
275 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 29 Apr 2012, 10:52

When I pointed to the pictures on the walls, they said they'd never noticed them.

:roflmao:
So much for the superior performance of the Taiwanese education system. Although I suppose if you're working in a coffee shop, it's because you didn't go to a degree mill and settle into a nice blue cubicle.

It's interesting that there seems to be know photo of Eisenhower smiling with CKS who is constantly putting on a huge smile in every photo opp.

He was probably thinking of the contents of his Swiss bank account.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

887 Recommends(s)
668 Recognized(s)

Postby zender » 29 Apr 2012, 12:10

They have a lot of interesting photos in that retreat/hall in the sulfur pools up on Yangming Shan . . . Pics of Ike and CKS rolling through the streets of Taipei to cheering crowds . . . Most are backlit opaque pictures. It's a nice place if you like kitsch and awful color schemes. I've done the tour twice.
-----------------
CKS died
in seventy five
-----------------
Columbus sailed the ocean blue
in fourteen hundred ninety two
zender
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

85 Recommends(s)
119 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 29 Apr 2012, 13:04

The old US embassy is an interesting building. I haven't been since it was converted into a coffee shop. I'm not surprised that the employees don't know the history of the building and it's significance regarding the post-war history of Taiwan. It is a real shame.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby FurTrader » 21 May 2012, 03:36

I just want to respond with this:

de mortuis nil nisi bonum

(there is a similar saying in Chinese, but I can't remember how to say it at the moment :) )

enough said
FurTrader
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recognized(s)

Postby Mr He » 21 May 2012, 10:48

Omniloquacious wrote:The hotel employee reported that his suit trousers were wet at the crotch when he gave them to hotel staff to be cleaned before his meeting with CKS.

This can't have happened. Peanut died in 1975.
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

65 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 21 May 2012, 11:09

Yes, it was Chiang Ching-kuo. Getting his goons to stir up 'spontaneous' riots against Americans was one of his favorite tricks. He did the same thing back in 1957.

While the story about Christopher could be true, it could also be very well one of those urban legends that were a feature of the authoritarian days. The Americans are so scared of our righteous fury because they know they are wrong etc.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Taiwan Politics