Warren Christopher said to have pissed himself with fright in Taiwan

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Re: Warren Christopher said to have pissed himself with fright in Taiwan

Postby Omniloquacious » 22 May 2012, 07:19

FurTrader wrote:I just want to respond with this:

de mortuis nil nisi bonum

(there is a similar saying in Chinese, but I can't remember how to say it at the moment :) )

enough said

I expect you're thinking of 不要貶損死者 ("Speak no ill of the dead").

But that's quite nonsensical when applied to leading actors in history. It would mean that we should desist from recording or even mentioning anything that casts the Hitlers, Stalins, Maos, Chiangs and all of their ilk, greater and lesser, in a non-positive light. Surely not a tenable tenet!
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
69 Recommends(s)
202 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Taiwan Politics