which taiwan political party do you side with?

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

which do you side with?

KMT
27%
DPP
50%
other (explain your ideology and why the 2 main political parties fails to meet it)
23%

Total votes : 22

Re: which taiwan political party do you side with?

Postby Teddoman » 14 May 2012, 04:40

Chris wrote:They were also overly obsessed with changing the names of things, and anything CKS was fair game for targeting, including the CKS Memorial Hall.

I can't speak to specifics, as they may indeed have been too extreme in cases. But when does a protest movement ever not do any of the things you mentioned? After personally spending time in prison, and seeing friends killed or jailed by the KMT when they were youths, I can sympathize with wanting to rename everything. Do you see any Saddam statues in Iraq anymore? How about Lenin statues in the former East Germany or Poland? I doubt there are many Qaddafi statues left in Libya.

After getting reamed up the arse for the last half century, they finally got to do a little turn about. Hard to blame them if they went a little overboard.
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby TaipeiDawg » 16 May 2012, 17:11

Mawvellous wrote:Chen carried on the policies of the development state. The Ma government has been much the same ... But at least the government has given much more emphasis to energy saving and has introduced necessary price adjustments, which the DPP will be taking to the streets to protest against.
Oh come on..... other than a lot of grumbling and bitching at a personal level the price adjustments have gone over pretty damn quietly. Just think if the tables were turned and it was President Tsai Ying-Wen that had introduced the price adjustments. There would be spontaneous mass protests (especially in Taipei of course), non-stop media frenzy stoking the flames, and the red shirt thing all over again.
Rush Limbaugh on a former morgue worker sentenced for abusing corpses: "You might be saying what -- what does this have to do with the Obama economy? Is it not clear, my friends? You don't have to take a corpse out to dinner. You don't have to buy a corpse a drink or a bottle of wine. You don't have to take the corpse anywhere in the car so you don't spend any fuel. They have -- you have a pervert here who chooses the cheapest way he can go all because of the Obama economy."
TaipeiDawg
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby Poagao » 16 May 2012, 18:02

If I were in my second term as president, I'd make all kinds of unpopular decisions at the beginning of my second term or even before. I'd lift the ban on ractopamine, set reasonable limits based on international research, crack down on actual food safety issues locally, raise utility prices as well as taxes to reasonable limits, crack down on corruption as well as polluters without regard for industry clout, all that kind of thing. Best to get it out of the way, take all the political damage I could now and gamble that at the end of four years people will be able to grasp the long-term usefulness of not destroying US trade relations over a manufactured risk scare, of not having power rates so cheap people waste an amazing amount of electricity and water, and be able to actually balance the budget without going into too much debt. Sure, it's likely that people will be too shortsighted to realize these things, but what the hell, I'm out of office in any case.
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
77 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 16 May 2012, 18:09

I agree. But I think the Taiwanese deeply dislike a non-consensus approach to decision-making. Ma will be seem as ruling by fiat if he does this and will end up deeply unpopular or even worse. At the moment, I think the DPP is disgracing itself with its lack of leadership and principled opposition.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
205 Recognized(s)

Postby crystaleye » 21 May 2012, 11:33

any side which goes against the chinese
The war is mine!

這局我贏定了!
crystaleye
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

34 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Taiwan Politics