which taiwan political party do you side with?

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

which do you side with?

KMT
6
27%
DPP
11
50%
other (explain your ideology and why the 2 main political parties fails to meet it)
5
23%
 
Total votes : 22

Re: which taiwan political party do you side with?

Postby Feiren » 12 May 2012, 22:18

No, Ma Ying-jeou is/was popular. It'll be back to 50/50 after he leaves office.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
 
Posts: 4887
Joined: 05 Jan 2002, 17:01
Location: Drum Tower
4 Recommends(s)
197 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: which taiwan political party do you side with?

Postby ChewDawg » 13 May 2012, 12:16

Not if Su is the leader. :lol: What a cold-hearted man indeed :lol:

Last Sunday, Hsu said that as a provincial councilor in the now-defunct Taiwan provincial assembly in 1982, Su had rejected a request by then-Taiwan provincial government chairman Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) to skip a question-and-answer session to see his son, who had died that day.

Su’s office, alongside a number of politicians and historians, dismissed the accusations and said what Hsu said contained factual errors.

However, Hsu yesterday reiterated the authenticity of the accusation, saying that the story had been circulating among former provincial councilors for years despite the fact that he may have stated the details incorrectly.


http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ ... 2003532707
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: 06 Sep 2011, 10:27
107 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: which taiwan political party do you side with?

Postby Mawvellous » 13 May 2012, 13:26

Ma has introduced long overdue increases in fuel and electricity prices and is trying to pass a securities tax. The DPP, typical to form, are taking the populist and absurd position that prices should be frozen, even as the the price of Taiwan's energy imports goes through the roof. They are even refusing to support the securities tax. The DPP find themselves in the position of defending the policies of the authoritarian developmental state in the face of KMT attempts at reform.
Mawvellous
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: 11 Aug 2006, 10:59
2 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: which taiwan political party do you side with?

Postby urodacus » 13 May 2012, 14:05

Ah, the delicious irony of it all!
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 11184
Joined: 04 Nov 2004, 23:20
Location: banished by the Illudium Q-36 demodulator
183 Recommends(s)
237 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: which taiwan political party do you side with?

Postby Mucha Man » 13 May 2012, 14:44

Mawvellous wrote:Ma has introduced long overdue increases in fuel and electricity prices and is trying to pass a securities tax. The DPP, typical to form, are taking the populist and absurd position that prices should be frozen, even as the the price of Taiwan's energy imports goes through the roof. They are even refusing to support the securities tax. The DPP find themselves in the position of defending the policies of the authoritarian developmental state in the face of KMT attempts at reform.


And how supportive where the KMT of rate hikes during the term of CBS? They had a legislative majority and could have passed any bill they wanted.

Opposition parties oppose. It's what they do everywhere and if the situation were reversed you know Ma as chairman would not be encouraging his party to vote for rate hikes.

That said, I do think Ma is doing the right thing but notice how he had to wait for his second term to do it. I also notice that there was no end to projects built during Ma's first term that are pure energy wasters. So much for a comprehensive strategy.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18192
Joined: 01 Nov 2001, 17:01
Location: Mucha, of course
704 Recognized(s)

6000

which taiwan political party do you side with?

Postby headhonchoII » 13 May 2012, 15:12

A lot of Ma's and Liu's policies are being watered down or blocked by the KMT caucus. They have deliberately opposed Ma and put review of the securities tax back to later this year hoping to get rid of it of water it down even more by then.
The same thing happened when last the health minister tried to bring in national health premiums under total household income, it got blocked by the KMT caucus.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 12147
Joined: 26 Aug 2002, 10:40
Location: Taipei
1474 Recommends(s)
551 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: which taiwan political party do you side with?

Postby Mucha Man » 13 May 2012, 15:21

headhonchoII wrote:A lot of Ma's and Liu's policies are being watered down or blocked by the KMT caucus. They have deliberately opposed Ma and put review of the securities tax back to later this year hoping to get rid of it of water it down even more by then.
The same thing happened when last the health minister tried to bring in national health premiums under total household income, it got blocked by the KMT caucus.


Same thing happened when they tried to bring in rules for public servants asset declarations. The notion that it's the DPP blocking progress is risible. The legislative is a disfunctional body that in no way represents the people's interests.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18192
Joined: 01 Nov 2001, 17:01
Location: Mucha, of course
704 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: which taiwan political party do you side with?

Postby Mawvellous » 13 May 2012, 17:02

Chen carried on the policies of the development state. The Ma government has been much the same ... But at least the government has given much more emphasis to energy saving and has introduced necessary price adjustments, which the DPP will be taking to the streets to protest against. Ma also blocked the Zhanghua petrochemical plant. Why is it "risible" to hold the DPP to account for their record?
Mawvellous
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: 11 Aug 2006, 10:59
2 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: which taiwan political party do you side with?

Postby urodacus » 13 May 2012, 18:29

When Chen was in the Pres office, the DPP could do absolutely nothing because the KMT fuckwads dominated the house and would not allow the passage of a single bill of substance.

Now that the KMT is back in power (and only after Ma's second erection) they are finally doing some of the very things that they blocked the DPP from doing way back then. Political dickheadedness of the highest order, but since when have we ever been able to expect any better of the KMT?

Ten years too late, and even now they're fighting among themselves to see who can keep the money train running as long as possible, bugger the future. Way to go, KMT!
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 11184
Joined: 04 Nov 2004, 23:20
Location: banished by the Illudium Q-36 demodulator
183 Recommends(s)
237 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: which taiwan political party do you side with?

Postby Mawvellous » 13 May 2012, 22:29

urodacus wrote:When Chen was in the Pres office, the DPP could do absolutely nothing because the KMT fuckwads dominated the house and would not allow the passage of a single bill of substance.

Now that the KMT is back in power (and only after Ma's second erection) they are finally doing some of the very things that they blocked the DPP from doing way back then. Political dickheadedness of the highest order, but since when have we ever been able to expect any better of the KMT?

Ten years too late, and even now they're fighting among themselves to see who can keep the money train running as long as possible, bugger the future. Way to go, KMT!


Nonsense. A-Bian didn't need to pass any bill in the legislature to freeze fuel and electricity prices for his own electoral benefit. Eventually the losses became unsustainable and Ma has had to clean up the mess.
Mawvellous
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: 11 Aug 2006, 10:59
2 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

6000

PreviousNext




 
 
 x

Return to Taiwan Politics



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 3 visitors

Google is also a units-of-measurement and currency converter. Type "teaspoons in 1.3 gallons," for example, or "euros in 17 dollars." Click Search to see the answer.
More tips from David Pogue