Huge Anti Ma Ying Jeou Demo in Taipei

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Re: Huge Anti Ma Ying Jeou Demo in Taipei

Postby PigBloodCake » 19 May 2012, 21:02

Frankly, he should have kept his word and raise the damn electricity price all at once on 5/15 instead of the half-ass measure currently being put out after the public fury.

Love to see the economy tank ('bout time too) because of this. The reset button wasn't pressed hard enough in '08 (thanks Central Banks....especially you, Mr. Baldy).
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 19 May 2012, 21:07

PigBloodCake wrote:Frankly, he should have kept his word and raise the damn electricity price all at once on 5/15 instead of the half-ass measure currently being put out after the public fury.

Love to see the economy tank ('bout time too) because of this. The reset button wasn't pressed hard enough in '08 (thanks Central Banks....especially you, Mr. Baldy).

In the interest of the the people, its probably best to do this in stages rather than having a big jump in electricity prices. A sudden jump gets people angry and unfortunately the people aren't concerned about the economy at large, in their mind the economy sucks no matter what anyone else tells them.

It was wise for them to do this in stages but it was a bit rash of them to announce the price hike like this. They should have planned a gradual hike to begin with.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Huge Anti Ma Ying Jeou Demo in Taipei

Postby headhonchoII » 19 May 2012, 22:04

The economy doesn't mean anything to the average salary man/woman. They just feel income vs expenses.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1787 Recommends(s)
641 Recognized(s)

Postby Teddoman » 19 May 2012, 23:08

PigBloodCake wrote:Well, as you know, you can only vote at the borough where you have household registration. Yeah, try asking all the Southerners working in the North (Taipei area mostly) to take HSR back to Kaohsiung area TWICE (once for the election and another one for CNY...all within consecutive weekends).

Super interesting, I didn't about the aggregate effect of voting according to household registration. Even the Taiwanese living in the US have to fly back to vote in elections (which the really politically inclined ones do).

That's so wierd that Taiwan doesn't have absentee voting. It's a wierd structural impediment that, combined with most jobs being in the north, probably results in the KMT getting more votes than they should. I wonder if there's ever been an attempt to institute absentee voting in Taiwan.
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 20 May 2012, 00:00

Teddoman wrote:
PigBloodCake wrote:Well, as you know, you can only vote at the borough where you have household registration. Yeah, try asking all the Southerners working in the North (Taipei area mostly) to take HSR back to Kaohsiung area TWICE (once for the election and another one for CNY...all within consecutive weekends).

Super interesting, I didn't about the aggregate effect of voting according to household registration. Even the Taiwanese living in the US have to fly back to vote in elections (which the really politically inclined ones do).

That's so wierd that Taiwan doesn't have absentee voting. It's a wierd structural impediment that, combined with most jobs being in the north, probably results in the KMT getting more votes than they should. I wonder if there's ever been an attempt to institute absentee voting in Taiwan.

Doubtful.

One word to sum up why: fraud.

PigBloodCake

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 20 May 2012, 00:06

headhonchoII wrote:The economy doesn't mean anything to the average salary man/woman. They just feel income vs expenses.

Word up. And with electricity/gas price rising, it's quite obvious that other things will go up in price.

The question is: with NT being much stronger nowadays (compared to the world's reserve currency), why the hell do we have inflation in the 'wan when we got more buying power with stronger NT?

China I get (RMB pegged to USD) but why Taiwan? :ponder:

PigBloodCake

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby Teddoman » 20 May 2012, 00:08

PigBloodCake wrote:One word to sum up why: fraud.

Going to a local voter booth to vote in front of some minimum wage temporary worker who doesn't know you isn't any more secure than any other method.

With technology today, there's got to be some way to do it: filming someone as they walk into a voter booth, fingerprint checks, iris scans, credit card / Taiwan ID swipes. Any method is more secure than visual spot checks of an ID by a temp worker.
Teddoman

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Hamletintaiwan » 20 May 2012, 02:57

It all went mostly harmless nothing to film really.
Like always, when there is an anti government demo in Taiwan, it rains. Cloud seeding instead of sticks and tear-gas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3XsHqVJ7Ts
Forumosan avatar
Hamletintaiwan
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
7 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 20 May 2012, 03:00

People are pissed because...of what? They have to pay more for fuel and electricity? If so then that is not Ma's fault. They should be pissed at their crummy legislators.

I don't think that it is the fact that prices go up. It is the fact that Ma said they wouldn't go up for some time, and then they wen't up straight after the election.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby Hamletintaiwan » 20 May 2012, 03:05

Super Hans wrote:
People are pissed because...of what? They have to pay more for fuel and electricity? If so then that is not Ma's fault. They should be pissed at their crummy legislators.

I don't think that it is the fact that prices go up. It is the fact that Ma said they wouldn't go up for some time, and then they wen't up straight after the election.

I think so too.
It's the fact that he had the power to keep them down till after the election.
Forumosan avatar
Hamletintaiwan

ORIGINAL POSTER
7 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Taiwan Politics