FEATURE : I’d rather be beaten than stay in Taiwan: defector

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Re: FEATURE : I’d rather be beaten than stay in Taiwan: defector

Postby headhonchoII » 22 May 2012, 14:03

housecat wrote:It pays better than being a single mom! There's a subsidy for low earning single parents of NT$5,000 per month. That amount is enough to keep two of my friends married because the non-working father would sue for custody over that stipend! $10,000 a month just for jumping off a boat? Wow.

I'm sure life was rotten in Chinese prison, but there's a lot more wrong with this picture than bad Taiwanese government.

You only get that subsidy if you earn less than 30,000 NTD or so, of course if you are working you probably need to spend money on child-care anyway.

Let's not conflate the issues, the dissident is pissed off because he has not been given any status or working rights. Since he seems to be a genuine dissident, I do feel for him and hope the legislature can improve on the current situation which has been ongoing for many years. Many Tibetans were in a similar limbo and depended on once-off type approvals to get IDs.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 22 May 2012, 14:03

housecat wrote:It pays better than being a single mom! There's a subsidy for low earning single parents of NT$5,000 per month. That amount is enough to keep two of my friends married because the non-working father would sue for custody over that stipend! $10,000 a month just for jumping off a boat? Wow.

I'm sure life was rotten in Chinese prison, but there's a lot more wrong with this picture than bad Taiwanese government.

You only get that subsidy if you earn less than 30,000 NTD or so, of course if you are working you probably need to spend money on child-care anyway. They will also not give it to you if you have any assets on your hukou. As most single mothers are under their own parents hukou (yes ridiculous system :eek: )and their parents often has some assets like a house, they cannot claim this stipend.

Let's not conflate the issues, the dissident is pissed off because he has not been given any status or working rights. Since he seems to be a genuine dissident, I do feel for him and hope the legislature can improve on the current situation which has been ongoing for many years. Many Tibetans were in a similar limbo and depended on once-off type approvals to get IDs.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 22 May 2012, 20:02

headhonchoII wrote:

You only get that subsidy if you earn less than 30,000 NTD or so, of course if you are working you probably need to spend money on child-care anyway. They will also not give it to you if you have any assets on your hukou. As most single mothers are under their own parents hukou (yes ridiculous system :eek: )and their parents often has some assets like a house, they cannot claim this stipend.

I know. The single parent subsidy is difficult to qualify for, but the point is that it's a pittance. They're giving this guy/these guys double to quadruple the amount they'd give to help support a citizen child. That was what I was trying to point out. And as you've made clear, it was easier for him to "qualify" for it than for the single parents here.

No doubt it's tough to be in such a position for so long. I don't know what the right answer might be for these guys, but criticizing the Taiwanese government in an attempt to cause action that might avoid a loss of face is not likely to get the desired result, IMO.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby Benjamin K » 14 Jul 2012, 02:20

Taiwan should help those who persecuted by the communist party.
Benjamin K
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 14 Jul 2012, 05:23

The point is they don't want these rather paltry subsidies, they just want IDs and working rights and to be recognized as refugees, or not. Then they can build a new life here in Taiwan.
Criticizing Taiwan is out of frustration, the US and others are doing nothing for them.
The Chinese government is the real problem, they torture and can even kill opponents of the regime.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby printlessfoot » 14 Jul 2012, 12:31

Benjamin K wrote:Taiwan should help those who persecuted by the communist party.

which country shouldn't? Phillipine should too. taiwan is not more responsible than any other country.
Set yourself free from the worthless manner of life handed down by your ancestors.

I don't care when or from where one's ancestor arrived in Taiwan. If you were born in Taiwan or Penghu (that is Formosa or Pescadores) and are willing to pledge allegiance to the sovereignty of Taiwan, then you are a Stockholder of Taiwan Sovereignty. If you have a family or job here and are willing to pledge allegiance to the sovereignty of Taiwan, then you are a Stakeholder of Taiwan Sovereignty.
Forumosan avatar
printlessfoot

32 Recommends(s)
43 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 14 Jul 2012, 13:05

Well it is since it still claims to be Republic of China and is under threat of being absorbed into the PRC.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 14 Jul 2012, 18:34

No, its cool. Its definitely the best way. Post your whinges on the Intarwebs and get a handful of ignorant twats to "support" your cause. Ka-CHING! :lol: :lol: :lol:
DUUUUDE! Take a look, man! It's right THERE! Right on the Internet! So it MUST be true!
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Benjamin K » 25 Aug 2012, 14:41

printlessfoot wrote:
Benjamin K wrote:Taiwan should help those who persecuted by the communist party.

which country shouldn't? Phillipine should too. taiwan is not more responsible than any other country.

But Taiwan has done little. In fact,to help those who persecuted by the communist party is to help Taiwan.
Benjamin K

1 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 25 Aug 2012, 15:41

Militarygamer:
Der kommisar:
I think you should watch your six.
I swear to Bacchus I saw some interlopers on ye flank.
Ready for perimetre penetration, they were.
But this is none of my concern, if you care to mold your own Dien Bien Phu.
Taiwan rules, over China, in so many ways.
Get used to it........
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
239 Recognized(s)
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Taiwan Politics