What's the real reason that Taiwan has no foreign debts? isn't this actually a dangerous thing?

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Re: What's the real reason that Taiwan has no foreign debts? isn't this actually a dangerous thing?

Postby FurTrader » 31 May 2012, 11:42

headhonchoII wrote:

What they mean by 'no foreign debts' is that it has no outstanding debts to the World Bank and IMF. Taiwan is not a member of the UN and is not able to borrow from these organisations anyway.

if Taiwan ever needs outside financial help, where will it get it from? (not China, I hope?)
FurTrader
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
12 Recognized(s)

Re: What's the real reason that Taiwan has no foreign debts? isn't this actually a dangerous thing?

Postby headhonchoII » 31 May 2012, 11:50

The first thing Taiwan could do is turn to it's own pool of wealthy citizens. They could also increase tax.

If they needed to turn to another sovereign China would be a definite candidate. Japan and the US would probably have an interest in supporting Taiwan's fiscal health.

But Taiwan is in great shape compared to most countries, it's not a REAL problem here compared to many other issues.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby FurTrader » 31 May 2012, 13:08

headhonchoII wrote:The first thing Taiwan could do is turn to it's own pool of wealthy citizens. They could also increase tax.

If they needed to turn to another sovereign China would be a definite candidate. Japan and the US would probably have an interest in supporting Taiwan's fiscal health.

But Taiwan is in great shape compared to most countries, it's not a REAL problem here compared to many other issues.

..... so [Taiwan] is like a woman with a Virginia ham under her arm, crying the blues 'cause she has no bread....??? :D
FurTrader

ORIGINAL POSTER
12 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 31 May 2012, 13:13

:bow: :lick:
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 03 Jun 2012, 12:46

Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

What's the real reason that Taiwan has no foreign debts? isn't this actually a dangerous thing?

Postby headhonchoII » 03 Jun 2012, 15:15

It is important to understand how much debt is owed internally to the central government, at the same time that kind of debt is easier to play with than sovereign debt, at least until the shit hits the fan like in Spain. Taiwan has it's own currency which gives more options than Eurozone countries.

It's really a poor comparison to make though, saying Taiwan could be like Greece, nah.

One interesting thing about debt is that countries can go broke overnight if private debt becomes public debt. Ireland went from something like 60% debt to GDP to 150% debt to GDP in the space of a few years.
This is due to the socializing of banks private debt, something that Taiwanese would just not agree with and quite rightly so!
Plus Taiwanese banks are in better shape in general even if they may be affected by a downturn in real estate, they don't do sublime type loans.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Taiwan Politics