For Americans: Taiwan & ICAO

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

For Americans: Taiwan & ICAO

Postby soarhevn » 08 Jun 2012, 03:28

FYI, American Citizens for Taiwan has a new article up about having members of Congress push for Taiwan to join the ICAO, see http://www.americancitizensfortaiwan.org/icao/.

ACT works to raise awareness of the importance of Taiwan’s democracy to America’s own democracy, security, and economy.

Note: I am one of the co-founders of ACT.
soarhevn
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: For Americans: Taiwan & ICAO

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 11 Jun 2012, 19:49

soarhevn wrote:FYI, American Citizens for Taiwan has a new article up about having members of Congress push for Taiwan to join the ICAO, see http://www.americancitizensfortaiwan.org/icao/.

If ICAO is part of the United Nations, you'll need to get China's OK, or your petition is going nowhere. China is a member of the UN Security Council and has a veto. I don't suppose that China would approve Taiwan's petition to join unless it's under the name "Chinese Taipei" or, more likely, "China's Province of Taiwan." Perhaps the first term would be tolerable (barely) to the Taiwanese, but I suspect that the second would not, so I don't see this as a realistic exercise. But good luck with it anyway.

As for the US Congress passing resolution to support Taiwan's membership in ICAO, that would be about as effective in moving China's position as a petition from my dentist or the local betel nut vendor.
Welcome to the Hotel Forumosa. You can login anytime you like, but you can never leave.
Forumosan avatar
Dog's_Breakfast
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

70 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Taiwan Politics