Taiwan's "beef" with America

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Taiwan's "beef" with America

Postby cityathrt » 14 Jun 2012, 03:17

I didn’t find this topic after a quick scan of the forums, but may have missed it. Apologies if this is already being discussed and please kindly point me to the right thread.

I was catching up on Taiwanese news just now and was a bit gobsmacked to see DPP’s antics in the Legislative Yuan. I’m used to the occasional screaming match and mob fights, and even remember making CNN’s global headlines because we had a bonafide food fight during a session, but what is this craziness of tying up chairs to block doors?

I’m currently overseas right now so not quite as up to speed on the news. I understand that there’s been an uproar with the discovery of certain chemicals in American beef, and that the legislators are due to vote on a bill regarding this subject. I’ve seen the calls from President Ma urging people to vote for it, with the DPP in vehement protest. But why is the DPP camping out, in full on pajamas and sleeping bags, and actually creating a blockade in front of the doors? Dodgy food imports crop up from time to time, what’s particularly infuriating about this one?

Thanks in advance for my enlightenment…
cityathrt
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Re: Taiwan's "beef" with America

Postby Chris » 14 Jun 2012, 06:34

It's the kind of DPP whining and tactics regarding silly issues that made me lose respect for them long ago.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

92 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby Poagao » 14 Jun 2012, 10:19

It's "far-sighted thinking" on the part of the DPP. If they are successful in blocking the government's efforts now, Taiwan will most likely be unable to participate in trade talks with the US on many issues, damaging Taiwan's international competitiveness as well as souring relations with the US, which could also have an effect on things like US military spending on Taiwan as well as the US visa waiver timing. By 2016 the effects of this damage could be plain enough that the DPP could point at the KMT and say, "Look at the terrible state of things and how poor a job you've done!" in order to get into power (whereupon the KMT will likely engage in the same tactics).

It's not about health. I guarantee you the last biandang of anyone claiming it's about "safeguarding public health" was filled with more dangerous chemicals than US beef contains.

This post was recommended by cityathrt (15 Jun 2012, 00:26)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
74 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 14 Jun 2012, 12:23

But why is the DPP camping out, in full on pajamas and sleeping bags, and actually creating a blockade in front of the doors?

Is that a rhetorical question? What's amazing is that there are still people out there who actually vote for these clowns.

I think people most people have forgotten what the original issue was, including the willy-wavers in the legislature. Check out the ractopamine thread, anyway.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

887 Recommends(s)
668 Recognized(s)

Postby fanglangzhe » 14 Jun 2012, 14:57

finley wrote:What's amazing is that there are still people out there who actually vote for these clowns.

You're asking why people still vote for DPP? Its because DPP stands for democratic values while KMT stands for authoritarianism. At least that's what most people on this forum would have you believe.
fanglangzhe
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 14 Jun 2012, 15:10

Who cares what someone "stands for"? What matters is what they do. The KMT, so far, hasn't initiated any pogroms or started locking up political opponents - although quite frankly, a week in the pokey would be just what the doctor ordered for those DPP idiots who think throwing temper tantrums (or chairs, or shoes) is a valid form of debate. The DPP, sadly, couldn't run a piss-up in a brewery: the party is currently populated by uneducated hicks, ex-mafia types, and people with weird psychological problems. They have NO competent technocrats, managers, or thinkers.

Doesn't mean, of course, that that couldn't all change course with new people. The DPP was once a competent political force. The KMT were once a bunch of repressive thugs. But people come and go, even if the party names stay the same.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

887 Recommends(s)
668 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 14 Jun 2012, 15:22

The real enemy to progress in Taiwan remains the KMT-dominated legislative assembly. I'm glad this bit of theatre is amusing some, but the beef issue is not going to spill over and destroy progress in other areas unless the ruling power wants it to, or is too incompetent to handle some minor damage control.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

851 Recognized(s)

Postby fanglangzhe » 14 Jun 2012, 15:27

Muzha Man wrote:The real enemy to progress in Taiwan remains the KMT-dominated legislative assembly. I'm glad this bit of theatre is amusing some, but the beef issue is not going to spill over and destroy progress in other areas unless the ruling power wants it to, or is too incompetent to handle some minor damage control.

Is it the KMT or DPP that is causing the gridlock and dis-functionality of the legislature?
fanglangzhe

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 14 Jun 2012, 15:31

fanglangzhe wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:The real enemy to progress in Taiwan remains the KMT-dominated legislative assembly. I'm glad this bit of theatre is amusing some, but the beef issue is not going to spill over and destroy progress in other areas unless the ruling power wants it to, or is too incompetent to handle some minor damage control.

Is it the KMT or DPP that is causing the gridlock and dis-functionality of the legislature?

The DPP are responsible for this insignificant bit of gridlock. The KMT are responsible for not passing any of the executive's initiatives on tax reform, civil servant reform, housing, land use, judiciary reform, etc, et fucking cetera, in any form that is of benefit to the people of Taiwan.

The legislative is the law making body in this country. It has been dominated by one party for decades except for a couple years in the 00s. If the opposition were so powerful we would not have ECFA. What the KMT want they get. Just like any other ruling party with a majority.

It's depressing to see otherwise intelligent people so easily sucked into the mainstream narrative that if not for the opposition's opposing all the right bills would be passed.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

851 Recognized(s)

Postby printlessfoot » 14 Jun 2012, 17:03

Ma has become a liability to the American government.
Set yourself free from the worthless manner of life handed down by your ancestors.

I don't care when or from where one's ancestor arrived in Taiwan. If you were born in Taiwan or Penghu (that is Formosa or Pescadores) and are willing to pledge allegiance to the sovereignty of Taiwan, then you are a Stockholder of Taiwan Sovereignty. If you have a family or job here and are willing to pledge allegiance to the sovereignty of Taiwan, then you are a Stakeholder of Taiwan Sovereignty.
Forumosan avatar
printlessfoot
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

32 Recommends(s)
43 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Taiwan Politics