Should Chennie be allowed to die in prison

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Should Chennie be allowed to die in prison

Postby tommy525 » 18 Jul 2012, 13:57

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati ... sident.htm

Chennie's docs say he is sure to die within 4 years in prison. Should the KMT run current admin let him out? How bout house arrest? Or is that the KMT's intention.

Yes he was a schmuck who embezzled at least 30 million but Suharto got billions and didnt suffer too much undue loss of dignity.

Should he be allowed to live out his sentence under house arrest?

Or is that too much of a threat to the KMT's ROC ?
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
581 Recommends(s)
366 Recognized(s)

Re: Should Chennie be allowed to die in prison

Postby Mucha Man » 18 Jul 2012, 14:09

Chen didn't embezzle. Those charges were long dropped on appeal. He is imprisoned mostly for accepting a bribe in relation to the Longtan science park deal, a bribe Jeffrey Koo later said he made up under pressure from the prosecutors, and an office-buying scandal.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

742 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 18 Jul 2012, 14:21

Muzha Man wrote:Chen didn't embezzle. Those charges were long dropped on appeal. He is imprisoned mostly for accepting a bribe in relation to the Longtan science park deal, a bribe Jeffrey Koo later said he made up under pressure from the prosecutors, and an office-buying scandal.

SO he is is prison for what then? IF charges are dropped? And the bribe is nonsense? Koo should be in jail then for lying?

What bout the over 30 million US dollars? Chennie didnt collect that from his humble salary?

OR is it the PRC's pleasure at persecuting Chennie at play here, working thru Ma's KMT run ROC ?
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
581 Recommends(s)
366 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 18 Jul 2012, 14:26

I saw a Chinese language newspaper headline yesterday that said he "committed suicide" 3 times ("自殺3次"). Surely they meant "attempted suicide"?
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

84 Recommends(s)
180 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 18 Jul 2012, 14:27

tommy525 wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:Chen didn't embezzle. Those charges were long dropped on appeal. He is imprisoned mostly for accepting a bribe in relation to the Longtan science park deal, a bribe Jeffrey Koo later said he made up under pressure from the prosecutors, and an office-buying scandal.

SO he is is prison for what then? IF charges are dropped? And the bribe is nonsense? Koo should be in jail then for lying?

What bout the over 30 million US dollars? Chennie didnt collect that from his humble salary?

OR is it the PRC's pleasure at persecuting Chennie at play here, working thru Ma's KMT run ROC ?

He is in jail for the charges I mentioned. Bribes not embezzling state funds. The prosecutors haven't seen fit to relook at whether Koo's accusations were true. In any case there were others though his jail sentence is in excess of his crimes no matter what.

Koo is in jail as far as I know but for other charges. He's a completely odious character.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

742 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 18 Jul 2012, 14:28

And considering embezzlement appears to be right up the KMT's street, especially concerning the KMT's past and in light of current affairs, I don't think it has any place to treat any person in the way that they treat CSB. They hate him, and that's why he is in prison.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 18 Jul 2012, 14:38

Chris wrote:I saw a Chinese language newspaper headline yesterday that said he "committed suicide" 3 times ("自殺3次").

You wait and see, he'll be back with a hockey mask and a chainsaw. They'll pay. They'll all pay. Wahhahaha.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith

This post was recommended by 2Enigma (18 Jul 2012, 22:54)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

775 Recommends(s)
601 Recognized(s)

Postby archylgp » 18 Jul 2012, 14:41

I read the article the OP posted. It didn't say why he will die within four years...seems like BS to me.
archylgp
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 18 Jul 2012, 15:00

Chris wrote:I saw a Chinese language newspaper headline yesterday that said he "committed suicide" 3 times ("自殺3次"). Surely they meant "attempted suicide"?

In the words of my Statistics instructor from Texas, "close enough for government work".

Links in English:
From CNA: http://focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_ ... 1207170041
Denial by officials: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 22/1/.html

Honestly, just being in this heat without AC is bad enough. Elderly peope suffer more, and those with cardiovascular conditions are in danger. That said, I believe all inmates should have the right to AC, no one, not even a murderer, deserves being baked slowly.

As to the specific conditions of Chen, I do not think domiciliary detention is customary here in Taiwan.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

630 Recommends(s)
501 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 18 Jul 2012, 15:08

MM: None of the Koos are in jail. Jeffrey Koo Jr. was sentenced to 10 years for securities and banking offenses. The case is on its first appeal. As in most normal cases against big shots in Taiwan, the case will drag on for 10 years and then be reduced to a year or two out of which said big shot will serve 6-8 months if he is not released for medical reasons first. Hell, it took 16 years to convict Weng Da-ming on insider trading charges.

Chen says the 23 million (I think it was) was campaign contributions that he took out of Taiwan to prevent the KMT from getting to it.

While Chen clearly was ethically bankrupt and perhaps worse, his trial and those of the high officials who served under the DPP administration were a political purge by the KMT.

Muzha Man wrote:
tommy525 wrote:

He is in jail for the charges I mentioned. Bribes not embezzling state funds. The prosecutors haven't seen fit to relook at whether Koo's accusations were true. In any case there were others though his jail sentence is in excess of his crimes no matter what.

Koo is in jail as far as I know but for other charges. He's a completely odious character.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Taiwan Politics