more Taiwanese racism (Taoyuan community petitions foreign workers to leave)

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

more Taiwanese racism (Taoyuan community petitions foreign workers to leave)

Postby Cooperations » 20 Sep 2012, 12:55

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/a ... 2003543198
Following recent accusations of discrimination against foreign workers by Taipei Railway Station, another incident of alleged discrimination has surfaced, with about 1,000 residents in a Taoyuan County community petitioning to have 30 Filipino workers move out of the area.
Hanging up large banners that read “No to foreign workers in our community,” residents of Rueilian Community (瑞聯社區) in the county’s Bade City (八德) said they did not want the foreign workers from the nearby Ablecome Technology company to stay in the community because of safety concerns.
“We are concerned about our safety,” a resident, Lin Feng-mei (林鳳美), said in a video clip aired by Public Television. “There are many children living in this community. Most of the families here have children, and they are afraid of playing in the park because those foreign workers also spend their leisure time in the park.”

Now I've always said Taiwan is a racist country, so I'm not too surprised by this. And I'm always amazed by Taiwanese people's defense, which is basically "No we are not." For those of you not convinced, here you are:
“It has nothing to do with discrimination,” she said. “With 460 households and more than 1,000 residents, Rueilian is a peaceful community. They are merely worried that clashes could happen because of these foreign workers, with their different skin color and different culture, going in and out of the community.”

You see, they aren't racist. They just don't like people who are different or darker than they are around, so it's all good... :noway:
Forumosan avatar
Cooperations
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Re: more Taiwanese racism

Postby Deuce Dropper » 20 Sep 2012, 13:03

Your second quote, the one from the politician, is truly sad. What's worse is that most people will find a way to sympathize with the petitioners rather than the migrants.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
469 Recognized(s)

Postby funkymonkey » 20 Sep 2012, 13:07

Is anyone really surprised by this? Taiwanese are horribly racist towards SE Asian people (of course, they will never admit it). Saying otherwise is just silly.
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

32 Recognized(s)

Re: more Taiwanese racism (Taoyuan community petitions foreign workers to leave)

Postby tommy525 » 20 Sep 2012, 13:17

Its the TW govts fault. They should have educational clips showing how the MRT and the HSR and other major projects were built by these SE Asians. And how many of the products "proudly" made in Taiwan are being made by SE Asians. And how many of older Taiwanese owe their daily well being to SE Asians who wheel them around and take care of them where their taiwanese relatives will not anymore.

Its the TW govts fault for not extolling all the benefits SE Asians have brought to life in Taiwan.

The animosity against SE Asians have to be educated OUT.

Or Taiwan is to remain in the dark ages and be passed behind just like Japan will be.

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: finley (20 Sep 2012, 13:27), GuyInTaiwan (21 Sep 2012, 11:36)
Rating: 8%
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

623 Recommends(s)
391 Recognized(s)

Postby fanglangzhe » 20 Sep 2012, 13:18

funkymonkey wrote:Is anyone really surprised by this? Taiwanese are horribly racist towards SE Asian people (of course, they will never admit it). Saying otherwise is just silly.

You can say exactly the same about Mainland Chinese, Korean, and Japanese in terms of racist attitudes towards darker skinned people. On the other hand, their views towards the fair skinned races (Caucasians) are also "racist" but in the opposite way. Many of you experience this first hand.
fanglangzhe
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recognized(s)

Re: more Taiwanese racism (Taoyuan community petitions foreign workers to leave)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 20 Sep 2012, 13:30

tommy525 wrote:Its the TW govts fault. They should have educational clips showing how the MRT and the HSR and other major projects were built by these SE Asians. And how many of the products "proudly" made in Taiwan are being made by SE Asians. And how many of older Taiwanese owe their daily well being to SE Asians who wheel them around and take care of them where their taiwanese relatives will not anymore.

Its the TW govts fault for not extolling all the benefits SE Asians have brought to life in Taiwan.

The animosity against SE Asians have to be educated OUT.

Or Taiwan is to remain in the dark ages and be passed behind just like Japan will be.

The government won't do anything, the horrific quote in the OP is from an elected official for crisesakes.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper

93 Recommends(s)
469 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 20 Sep 2012, 13:34

I don't think it's skin colour, as such. That seems to be just the way halfwit politicans rationalize it. I'm about the same hue as the average Indonesian or Filipino, but people always seem to treat me with the sort of weird, embarrassing deference they reserve for "Americans" (= any white person of European descent). I've never met with any overtly racist behaviour. It's just Taiwan's ugly "caste system": these people earn less than us and do our bidding, while we sit on our asses or squash cyclists with our SUVs. Therefore they are lesser humans.

But yeah - the government isn't going to do anything. They are exactly the sort of privileged chinless wonders who look down their noses at the people doing the hard work.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

926 Recommends(s)
688 Recognized(s)

Postby louisfriend » 20 Sep 2012, 13:43

fanglangzhe wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:Is anyone really surprised by this? Taiwanese are horribly racist towards SE Asian people (of course, they will never admit it). Saying otherwise is just silly.

You can say exactly the same about Mainland Chinese, Korean, and Japanese in terms of racist attitudes towards darker skinned people. On the other hand, their views towards the fair skinned races (Caucasians) are also "racist" but in the opposite way. Many of you experience this first hand.

There are quite a few Taiwanese that aren't so lovey-dovey towards fair skinned races. And for the ones that display the reverse racism you mentioned, you're right to call it racist. It's still a tool to maintain social separation and reinforce the "you as a foreigner" mentality. But I've noticed there are times when the perks I get as a Caucasian are especially superficial, and just below the surface lies a degree of disdain towards me you might associate with your run-of-the-mill type of racist perspective.
Forumosan avatar
louisfriend
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

93 Recommends(s)
120 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 27 Jul 1912

Postby hansioux » 20 Sep 2012, 14:36

After realizing this fact myself back in 1998, I've always been troubled, and have not yet figure out a way to make it clear to other Taiwanese that they are being racist. Because even if you tell them they are racist, and debate with them till they ran out of defences and shut their mouths, they will still not admit they are being racist.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
Forumosan avatar
hansioux
"Drinks for the House!"

594 Recommends(s)
638 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby headhonchoII » 20 Sep 2012, 15:07

Taiwanese don't change their mind. Period. Unless the boss or the parents waiting with a large inheritance to bestow change it for them.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1833 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Taiwan Politics