Most Foreigners are anti-KMT?

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Most Foreigners are anti-KMT?

Postby Petah » 12 Jan 2009, 13:58

Something I found over the years is that most foreigners in Taiwan are usually pro-green rather than pro-blue. Do you guys find that to be the case? Or is it just my experience?

Why do you think that is? I'm looking for real answers...not the usual KMT-bashing rhetorics.

My guess is that DPP has traditionally pushed for a democratic values in Taiwan...which is probably more consistent with what many Americans/Canadians/British..etc are used to back home. Also KMT...the "bia niang lao dian"....is a lot more beauruacratic which a lot of westerners hate.
Petah
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Most Foreigners are anti-KMT?

Postby Anyone for Tiffin? » 12 Jan 2009, 14:49

I'm not pro DPP or KMT as they both seem to be a set of nest feathering, lying, corrupt numpties, just like our idiots back home in Old Blighty :loco:
If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you. (O.Wilde)
Forumosan avatar
Anyone for Tiffin?
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Poagao » 12 Jan 2009, 14:52

I'm sure there's another thread on this somewhere, but I'll sum it up for you by omitting all the back-and-forth accusations and other vulgarity that inevitably occurs when this subject is discussed: yes, and don't ask why.
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 12 Jan 2009, 14:53

But I would guess not as much as they used to be.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 12 Jan 2009, 15:07

When the KMT was in charge I was pro-DPP. When the DPP was in power, I was pro-KMT.

Now that the KMT have come into power and the memories of Chen are still fresh in my mind, I am pro-neither.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

78 Recommends(s)
168 Recognized(s)

Postby TheLostSwede » 12 Jan 2009, 15:51

Anyone up for starting the Forumosa party :D
This country is seriously in need of some fresh blood when it comes to politics.
Forumosan avatar
TheLostSwede
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

15 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 12 Jan 2009, 16:04

Chris wrote:When the KMT was in charge I was pro-DPP. When the DPP was in power, I was pro-KMT.

Now that the KMT have come into power and the memories of Chen are still fresh in my mind, I am pro-neither.

I agree with this. In 2000 I thought the change to DPP would be refreshing (they were seen by many foreigners as 'fighting the good fight' and we had some love for them), but they turned out to be a bunch of bumbling morons who couldn't get anything done. KMT is much better for business, so most foreigners are happy to see them back.

If Chen had of lost in 2000 (he won because of a pan-blue split) he could have won in 2004 and been better prepared and probably a better leader. I don't think the DPP expected to win in 2000 and they were making it up as the went along as a result, all the while still behaving like an under-respected opposition party.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

75 Recommends(s)
371 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 12 Jan 2009, 16:06

You also have to remember that the vast majority of foreigners here have a very, very sketchy knowledge of Taiwanese politics.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby Buttercup » 12 Jan 2009, 16:13

sandman wrote:You also have to remember that the vast majority of foreigners here have a very, very sketchy knowledge of Taiwanese politics.

But the DPP is fweeeeedom, no? (Shows arse to mucky Scotsmen)
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

7 Recognized(s)

Postby Lil' Slugger » 12 Jan 2009, 16:17

I like to think I'm not as naive as I once was about politics (both here and back home), but I'm probably much more green-leaning than my in-laws who still look to Chiang Kai-shek as an admirable figure.
Forumosan avatar
Lil' Slugger
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

3 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Taiwan Politics