Lien Chan's son shot during political rally

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Re: Lien Chan's son shot during political rally

Postby Feiren » 29 Nov 2010, 16:21

Yes. And the plot thickens.

Lien told a high ranking KMT official that the shooter Lin Zheng-wei said 'Lien Sheng-wen, you are dead!' before pulling the trigger. SIx other witnesses who were on the stage including cops supposedly have told police that Lin said 'Lien Sheng-wen, gan li niang' before shooting.

One of the witnesses, who seen grabbing Lin and preventing further shots, is now being identified as one Liu Zhen-nan (劉振南), now a 'businessman' in the Zhonghe/Yonghe area and the former head of the Bamboo Union's Ai Hall. He just happened to be on stage because he is good friends with the candidate Chen Hong-yuan. Chen and his father run a family construction business [gangster alert] and the elder Chen used to be the deputy speaker of the Taipei County Council (gangster alert!!]. As it happens, the Chen family is trying to develop the Guting market but not all the residents have signed up yet [gangster alert!].

So a known gangbanger shoots the son of a former KMT Chairman who is on stage to endorse a local candidate with links to organized crime. Then a known 'made man' in one of Taiwan's largest criminal organizations just happens to be on stage as well to stop the hit from being successful.

Even by KMT standards, this is pretty good stuff.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby suiyuan31 » 29 Nov 2010, 16:31

Mother Theresa wrote:
Anubis wrote:Some posters here seriously underestimate the killing power of a 9mm.

I agree. I don't know diddly about calibers of guns, but from the diagrams I saw the bullet went right through the center of his head. Seems fairly remarkable to me that it didn't kill him and that he was apparently thinking and speaking logically very shortly thereafter. Seems to me he was very lucky to survive and apparently not suffer more debilitating damage from it.

If I were the insensitive type, I would make a comment about the relative emptiness of most KMT officials' heads, thus the lack of apparent drain bramage....but I won't go there.

He is a lucky guy...reminds me of this story:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -head.html
Police and doctors hailed the survival of Tammy Sexton, 47, as miraculous after a bullet from a .38-calibre handgun struck her squarely in the forehead, passed through her skull and exited through the back of her head. She is expected to make a full recovery, while her husband shot himself dead after the attack on his wife....Sheriff Mike Byrd said: "When the officer got there she said, 'What's going on?' She was holding a rag on her head and talking. She was conscious, but she was confused about what had happened...(The doctor) said the bullet apparently passed through the lobes of the woman's brain without causing major damage. She was rushed to hospital by helicopter where she has been monitored for three days.
I'm an acquired taste. If you don't like me, acquire some taste.
Forumosan avatar
suiyuan31
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 29 Nov 2010, 16:52

suiyuan31 wrote:He is a lucky guy...reminds me of this story:

Or Phineas Gage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage

I guess a lot of people have less vital substance inside their skull than one would imagine.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby Jack Burton » 29 Nov 2010, 22:33

Mother Theresa wrote:
suiyuan31 wrote:He is a lucky guy...reminds me of this story:

Or Phineas Gage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage

I guess a lot of people have less vital substance inside their skull than one would imagine.

I'm not sure if that's a lucky story. After his accident, his character changed, became violent, his family left him, he lost his job etc. On top of that, his story led to some guy "inventing" the lobotomy.
Jack Burton: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
Lo Pan: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!
Forumosan avatar
Jack Burton
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

4 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 29 Nov 2010, 22:41

Jack Burton wrote:...I'm not sure if that's a lucky story. After his accident, his character changed, became violent, his family left him, he lost his job etc. On top of that, his story led to some guy "inventing" the lobotomy.

Sounds like a country song.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

852 Recognized(s)

Postby KathVic » 29 Nov 2010, 22:51

Feiren,
Interesting post. But, the question of why he shot the SON of a former KMT chairman. Or he wanted to shoot someone else and goofed. But, he was heard to say Lien Shen Wen's name.
KathVic
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby KathVic » 29 Nov 2010, 23:51

About the gun. I know zero about guns but my Brother in law is a cop down in Taichung and considers himself somewhat of a gun expert and he told me it was the wrong gun for this job.
KathVic
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby Satellite TV Jr » 30 Nov 2010, 01:41

KathVic wrote:About the gun. I know zero about guns but my Brother in law is a cop down in Taichung and considers himself somewhat of a gun expert and he told me it was the wrong gun for this job.

No a 9mm is more than enough. all it takes is to hit major organs. I was obviously putting a redneck macho persona by saying "9mms just piss people off."

I don't know what your brother in law is on about... Sig Sauers are one of the best guns every manufactured and they are not cheap. The guy missed at point blank. Mega fail. Hell give me a .22 and I could do more damage. and .22s have the recoil of paintball guns which is like 0. The shooter sucks it's got nothing to do with the weapon.

Naw I never shot a 9mm Anubis but I did shoot a .40 S&W. Bit of a kick but it was a sweet shot.
Satellite TV Jr
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby ShaoPang » 30 Nov 2010, 07:40

KathVic wrote:About the gun. I know zero about guns but my Brother in law is a cop down in Taichung and considers himself somewhat of a gun expert and he told me it was the wrong gun for this job.

And the right one would be...? The P220 is plenty to do the job if done right. I own a Sig, great gun! Heck, a 22 pistol is a favorite for mob executions here. It ends up bouncing around the skull. Very effective.
Forumosan avatar
ShaoPang
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby dearpeter » 30 Nov 2010, 15:33

Today's editorial in the Taipei Timespointed out two details that, quite fairly I feel, cast both Lien Chan and Ma Ying-jeou in a callous light. I'll highlight the relevant bits:
Then again, after visiting his son in hospital, Lien Chan returned to a KMT campaign rally and heightened the rhetoric by implying that somehow the DPP was behind the assault on his son (the same Lien Chan who, back in 2004, accused the DPP of staging an attempt on president Chen Shui-bian’s [陳水扁] life).

To each his priorities, but there are very few fathers who would choose to leave their child’s hospital bed after he was shot in the head with a 9mm pistol to return to a local election event. It is also noteworthy that the following day, an otherwise magnanimous Ma did not once mention the other victim of the shooting, 29-year-old Huang Yun-sheng (黃運聖), who died of his wounds on his way to hospital. The man of politics, scion of a political family, mattered; the other, dead, didn’t.

These guys are seasoned politicians. How come they still let themselves appear so aloof? Don't they have advisers to remind them when to say something nice instead of something selfish and manipulative?
Forumosan avatar
dearpeter

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Taiwan Politics