Taipei government pressuring Apple and Google to allow free trials for apps

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Postby mike029 » 07 Jun 2011, 02:13

Found this today while reading about WWDC conference...

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/arc ... 2003504899

Taipei city government: changing the world, one ridiculous demand at a time.
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Re: Taipei government pressuring Apple and Google to allow free trials for apps

Postby Adam_CLO » 07 Jun 2011, 02:26

Apple does offer refunds, even though it's not advertised. If you complain to them about an app, they will refund it for you. Should be interesting to see how they respond to this. If I were them, I'd threaten to pull out of Taiwan. The public outcry should be enough to shut the government up.
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby baberenglish » 07 Jun 2011, 08:21

most locals I know copy the app using an 'unnamed' software and go nuts....for free....forget the gov't free trial bullshit, people are already copying it for free. the gov't just wants some excuse for the rapid piracy going on.
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 07 Jun 2011, 10:07

If it is brownie points for election time they are looking for... well, this could backfire... duh!
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby ludahai » 08 Jun 2011, 18:50

Are you suggesting that online business don't have to abide by consumer protection laws?

Now, if they can only force Facebook to talk to prosecutors when people use Facebook to violate local laws...
I have a dream, a dream where a democratic China lives side by side with Taiwan, Tibet, and Turkestan, all free and democratic.
ludahai
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby ludahai » 08 Jun 2011, 19:01

Adam_CLO wrote:Apple does offer refunds, even though it's not advertised. If you complain to them about an app, they will refund it for you. Should be interesting to see how they respond to this. If I were them, I'd threaten to pull out of Taiwan. The public outcry should be enough to shut the government up.

The articles I have ready about this indicates that there is a 15-minute refund period, which is absolutely absurd...
I have a dream, a dream where a democratic China lives side by side with Taiwan, Tibet, and Turkestan, all free and democratic.
ludahai

1 Recognized(s)

Postby maoman » 08 Jun 2011, 19:25

Adam_CLO wrote:Apple does offer refunds, even though it's not advertised. If you complain to them about an app, they will refund it for you. Should be interesting to see how they respond to this. If I were them, I'd threaten to pull out of Taiwan. The public outcry should be enough to shut the government up.

It'll never happen. The gov't just likes to kao yao. :aiyo:
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Adam_CLO » 08 Jun 2011, 23:05

ludahai wrote:

The articles I have ready about this indicates that there is a 15-minute refund period, which is absolutely absurd...

Apple's official policy states no refunds whatsoever. However their unofficial policy is they'll refund if you file a complaint about the software.

If I buy a software or music CD from Carrefour, can I open it, use it then return it within 7 days? How about a book?
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO

24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby ludahai » 12 Jun 2011, 21:44

Adam_CLO wrote:
ludahai wrote:

Apple's official policy states no refunds whatsoever. However their unofficial policy is they'll refund if you file a complaint about the software.

If I buy a software or music CD from Carrefour, can I open it, use it then return it within 7 days? How about a book?

I am not sure of the specifics of the law because I don't buy things unless I know I want it and have only brought things in to exchange because there was something wrong with the product or the clothes (at Costco) were the wrong size. However, I am given to understand that the return laws are fairly broad.
ludahai

1 Recognized(s)

Postby zebigbos22 » 12 Jun 2011, 21:52

ok, i go to a restaurant, eat and can i ask for a refund? do I need to puke it out?

for apple, I have already asked a refund and was ok. of course they say it is special for you, but if it is one time it pass
zebigbos22
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Taiwan Politics