Taipei government pressuring Apple and Google to allow free trials for apps

Topics related to Taiwan and Taiwan/China issues can be discussed here. Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Moderator: TheGingerMan

Forum rules
Threads dealing with Taiwan's history belong in the Culture & History thread. Please do not post articles - use links instead. Quoted sources should be limited to one paragraph in length, or less. If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, you can send a report to the moderators so we can look into it

Re: Taipei government pressuring Apple and Google to allow free trials for apps

Postby Deuce Dropper » 12 Jun 2011, 22:18

mike029 wrote:Found this today while reading about WWDC conference...

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/arc ... 2003504899

Taipei city government: changing the world, one ridiculous demand at a time.

Maybe Apple should demand that TW crackdown on the fact that half the iphone owners in the country illegally jailbreak their phones.

The fuckin nerve of some people!
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
466 Recognized(s)

Postby ludahai » 17 Jun 2011, 08:39

Deuce Dropper wrote:

Maybe Apple should demand that TW crackdown on the fact that half the iphone owners in the country illegally jailbreak their phones.

1. Is that a fact?
2. Is it illegal?
I have a dream, a dream where a democratic China lives side by side with Taiwan, Tibet, and Turkestan, all free and democratic.
ludahai
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby mike029 » 17 Jun 2011, 13:20

ludahai wrote:
Deuce Dropper wrote:

1. Is that a fact?
2. Is it illegal?

1. Who knows about the statistic, but I know the guy in Taiwan Mobile offered to JB my iPhone for me.
2. It's not illegal according the DMCA anymore in the US, don't know about Taiwan. That change in the US happened after the EFF petitioned the government for a lllooonnnnggggg time. The DMCA is extremely vague, and the Apple was trying to apply the wrong part of the DMCA in court. The EFF made the argument that "that part of the DMCA is not relevant, this part is, and this part says it's ok to JB", or something like that, I'm not too familiar with the specifics of it.

I agree Apple should say something if this gets moving at all in Taipei. Everyone I've ever met with an iPhone here has Installous on it, so they aren't even buying apps. The funniest part is that nobody has a credit card to use in iTunes, anyway. Those bank cards don't work. :roflmao:
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 28 Jun 2011, 05:13

What an absolute load of CRAP! This explains why I keep getting error messages in the Android Market:

Google pulls paid apps from Taiwan after being fined

I am absolutely furious. Now I can't buy any paid app on Google's Android Market. Even updating a paid app I already had was troublesome. I wonder if I will still be able to buy apps in Amazon's Appstore.......

EDIT: WOW, you can't even SEE the paid apps on Google's Android Market. CRAP! So far Amazon's Appstore doesn't seem to be affected.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Adam_CLO » 28 Jun 2011, 06:28

Apple on the other hand have succumbed: Apple lets Taiwanese customers return apps within 7 days.

Should be interesting to see what the ramifications of Google vs Apple's approach will be. I can see developers pulling out of Apple's Taiwan store if there is abuse of the system. Or maybe other countries will want the same treatment?
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 28 Jun 2011, 09:33

mike029 wrote:
The funniest part is that nobody has a credit card to use in iTunes, anyway. Those bank cards don't work. :roflmao:

Not sure what you mean here. Almost every Taiwanese person I know has a wallet full of credit cards - certainly a lot more cards than they conceivably need.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

221 Recommends(s)
216 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 28 Jun 2011, 09:41

Adam_CLO wrote:Apple on the other hand have succumbed: Apple lets Taiwanese customers return apps within 7 days.

Should be interesting to see what the ramifications of Google vs Apple's approach will be. I can see developers pulling out of Apple's Taiwan store if there is abuse of the system. Or maybe other countries will want the same treatment?

AFAIK, unless the iPhone is jailbroken, there is no other way to install an app other then iTunes, whereas Android apps can be installed by any number of means from any source. Seems like that would make app piracy much more of a concern on Android than on iOS.

I'm just wondering, does this same 7-day refund requirement in Taiwan apply to computer software? What is to prevent a person from buying computer software, installing it on their computer, then refunding it?
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Adam_CLO » 28 Jun 2011, 10:35

CraigTPE wrote:AFAIK, unless the iPhone is jailbroken, there is no other way to install an app other then iTunes, whereas Android apps can be installed by any number of means from any source. Seems like that would make app piracy much more of a concern on Android than on iOS.

Correct.
I'm just wondering, does this same 7-day refund requirement in Taiwan apply to computer software? What is to prevent a person from buying computer software, installing it on their computer, then refunding it?

I asked this question earlier in the thread and I think the answer is no, you can't refund computer software. So it's a hypocritical law to begin with. I bought a router the other day and tried to return it later in the day UNOPENED and they would only let me exchange it for equal or greater value. I suppose if I had made enough of a fuss they might have let me return it, but the point is that refunds out here are generally harder to come by than they are out West, which makes this kind of law even stranger.
Not sure what you mean here. Almost every Taiwanese person I know has a wallet full of credit cards - certainly a lot more cards than they conceivably need.

Many bank / debit cards here have VISA symbols attached to them. I don't believe such cards work for online purchases though.
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO

24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 28 Jun 2011, 10:44

Adam_CLO wrote:

Many bank / debit cards here have VISA symbols attached to them. I don't believe such cards work for online purchases though.

Most of those don't, but they're relatively new. Banks here hand out (or used to) credit cards to almost any Taiwanese citizen with a pulse.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages

221 Recommends(s)
216 Recognized(s)

Postby maoman » 28 Jun 2011, 10:52

Adam_CLO wrote:Apple on the other hand have succumbed: Apple lets Taiwanese customers return apps within 7 days.

I can't see any "official" links confirming this. Your link quotes 9tofmac.com, and they quote The Economic Times (India), which doesn't provide any links or even quotes to its assertion "Apple changed its rules".

Does anyone have official confirmation or a link?

Second, if developers move away from iTunes Taiwan, how difficult is it for Taiwanese customers to buy apps from US iTunes?
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Taiwan Politics