Taiwanese guys opinion of Taiwanese born Americans?

Moderator: 914

Forum rules
Welcome to the Overseas Taiwanese Subforum. We hope this is a place where you can post your cross-cultural, east meets west upbringing, Tiger Mama/Dragon Baba issues. We understand that you look full on local on the outside, but have issues that pertain to growing up in a non-Taiwanese, non-Chinese environment. Confucian obligations and expectations probably apply to you, familial pressure to conform to traditions, etc. We know the drill. So come on in, get some things off your chest, and hopefully you will gain perspective from others who have been there and are going through the same. For other questions and discussions (in particular legal, passport and residency issues,) please continue to post in the relevant forums. Let's keep this for culturally sensitive topics. Thank you very much, and happy posting.

Re: Taiwanese guys opinion of Taiwanese born Americans?

Postby asian boy » 07 Aug 2012, 15:45

kimlijune wrote:I'm really curious as to what Taiwanese guys think of Taiwanese born American (like myself)? Like, I honestly think that they avoid me like the plague for some reason-- it's kind of upsetting. My Chinese isn't THAT bad but it could definitely be improved. For example, there are some phrases I want to say in Chinese but I don't know the vocabulary for so I say it in English. It might just be me but I think making in friends in Taiwan is probably one of the hardest things to do-- they might not be good at English but I know my Chinese isn't that great either. What do you guys think? Any insight on how I can improve my chances in making friends in Taiwan? (so I don't have to go everywhere by myself... damn, that sounds depressing)

Just a slight language barrier. Same for me when I grew up in the USA kids at school didnt want to talk to me because I couldn't speak English when I first arrived. Don't give up and just keep trying. Treat the obstacle as a stepping stone.
Forumosan avatar
asian boy
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

1 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Re: Taiwanese guys opinion of Taiwanese born Americans?

Postby section61 » 12 Aug 2012, 18:01

Stupid question.

if you go to French, and talk to the locals in english, do you think they would then try to use english to response your conversation? If I went to America and had to say something in english but my english isn't very good and started talking in some chinese and how do you think they will response? How about people who moved to America and can't talk good english?

Just because you are an merican born hot shot doesn't mean you are above everyone else.

GO figure.
section61
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Previous

x

Return to Overseas Taiwanese