Hotness Delusion Syndrome

A non-threatening place for individuals and couples living in Taiwan to discuss dating and relationship issues

Moderators: Tempo Gain, NonTocareLeTete

Forum rules
The Dating and Relationship Forum is a non-threatening place for individuals and couples living in Taiwan to discuss dating and relationship issues, including: love, romance, sex, communications, familial relationships, cultural issues, activities for couples, psychology, marriage, dating (i.e. "how to meet")

Please don't post personal ads here. They will be removed. Offensive posts will also be removed at the discretion of the moderators, including lewdness, excessive profanity, pornographic pictures, nasty and mean-spirited comments

If a post is moved to the Temporary Forum or edited, this is probably because the post is either off topic or violates one of the "general etiquette" rules. We'd like to keep this forum as open and friendly as possible - please keep these things in mind when posting. Thank you for your cooperation

Re: Hotness Delusion Syndrome

Postby steev » 09 Sep 2011, 22:56

Quentin wrote:Which one has the hotness delusion? Some guy makes small talk to her in a museum, she found him boring and unnattractive, so she writes a snarky little column accusing him of "hotness delusion" because a slob like him should obviously know better than to try and talk to such a smoking hottie as her. I guess I must suffer from hotness delusion syndrome for having the audacity to talk to girls. Apparently, unless you look like Brad Pitt, some women will take offense at your trying to chat them up.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22070/115 ... sh-hotness


What a bizarre article!
1. the reason a guy like that acts like that isnt because he thinks he's a hot item... its because he's old and shameless. and he knows that that's (being shameless) half the battle. If he stopped to worry about the fact he's fat, old and bald he'd get nowhere... and he probably when he was young worried about being skinny, hairy and young...
2. Women are so riduculous. They think they can dress like a tart and only cool rich handsome guys that look like Brad Pitt (or how he used to look like 20 yrs ago) will ogle them. in fact, all guys like to ogle women dressed as tarts, and the old ones are just rather more shameless about it. duhh....
additional note - single men ageed 40 may be in short supply, but who's to say mr Romeo was single? being married never stopped a shameless middle-aged guy ogling a fit young bird...
steev
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 08 Jun 2011, 14:12



Re: Hotness Delusion Syndrome

Postby steev » 09 Sep 2011, 22:59

finley wrote:
Quentin wrote:Seriously, the last time I tried pulling in a bar, the woman I wound up with, somehow the conversation steered towards the end of the night about my penis and what its exact measurements were, before she would agree to go home with me. This was....what's the word?....skanky, way too skanky for me. Cute and hot, but even I've got standards.


Now, there's a thing. I had a conversation like that just a couple of weeks ago (although not in a bar). Skanky? Didn't seem like that to me ... she just had, uh, high standards. Or in this case, long standards.


you folks never heard of lying? and then when the time comes, just have a bedroom lighting malfunction, or say you're shy... the Thai hookers do it all the time...
steev
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 08 Jun 2011, 14:12



Re: Hotness Delusion Syndrome

Postby finley » 10 Sep 2011, 00:23

Telling the truth works for me :D

Anyway, I think Quentin's point that he was put off by the question itself, not by the fact that he didn't have a good answer - who knows, maybe she didn't know what she was missing.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
 
Posts: 5947
Joined: 20 Jan 2011, 23:34
858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)



Re: Hotness Delusion Syndrome

Postby Quentin » 10 Sep 2011, 04:47

finley wrote:Anyway, I think Quentin's point that he was put off by the question itself


About a month or so ago I was waiting at the bus stop and this girl sitting next to me started going off about how long it had been since she'd been laid. Now, if I'd been the only other person around, it would have been unmistakeable why she would have brought the subject up :D But as there were several other people around, it seemed an odd thing to be loudly complaining about in public and bringing up as a conversation starter with complete strangers. "Yeah, I have my vibrator, but that's not good enough....what I really get off on is the hugging, kissing, touching, skin on skin, the touching and intimacy." A pretty average looking woman, in her 20s and not bad looking by any means....but even if I'd been in the mood, it would've been pretty embarrassing for me to say in public, "Lady, your problems are solved, my place is a short walk from the bus stop." And honestly, wouldn't most of the rest of you guys be turned off by that sort of talk? I mean, she wasn't in a bar and didn't have the excuse of being drunk. It made me suspect that perhaps she wasn't right in the head, because normal sane women don't go begging for sex in public.
Forumosan avatar
Quentin
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
 
Posts: 2045
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 09 May 2005, 17:18
Location: On the wrong side of the tracks (East Tainan)
8 Recognized(s)



Re: Hotness Delusion Syndrome

Postby housecat » 10 Sep 2011, 07:15

Quentin wrote:
finley wrote:Anyway, I think Quentin's point that he was put off by the question itself


About a month or so ago I was waiting at the bus stop and this girl sitting next to me started going off about how long it had been since she'd been laid. Now, if I'd been the only other person around, it would have been unmistakeable why she would have brought the subject up :D But as there were several other people around, it seemed an odd thing to be loudly complaining about in public and bringing up as a conversation starter with complete strangers. "Yeah, I have my vibrator, but that's not good enough....what I really get off on is the hugging, kissing, touching, skin on skin, the touching and intimacy." A pretty average looking woman, in her 20s and not bad looking by any means....but even if I'd been in the mood, it would've been pretty embarrassing for me to say in public, "Lady, your problems are solved, my place is a short walk from the bus stop." And honestly, wouldn't most of the rest of you guys be turned off by that sort of talk? I mean, she wasn't in a bar and didn't have the excuse of being drunk. It made me suspect that perhaps she wasn't right in the head, because normal sane women don't go begging for sex in public.


Surely, surely she was talking on the phone via one of those almost invisable bluetooth deals, or something. You know, chatting with her girlfriend about the drought and forgetting where she was? Otherwise, yeah she had to have been just a little off. Or way WAY loose.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: 16 Jun 2003, 18:14
Location: Seven Bridges Road
96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)



Re: Hotness Delusion Syndrome

Postby msleft » 10 Sep 2011, 09:47

Quentin wrote:I also do not understand why people still claim, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that Taiwan is a heaven for white guys trying to pick up women. I suppose it would be different if I didn't speak Mandarin like a 5 year old, but the vast majority of foreigners here rarely reach even that level of fluency. Going out to bars/clubs or walking around the supermarket, it was clear that 95% were simply not interested in me or white guys in general. Or so it seemed? I came to understand that "chatting up" doesn't work in Taiwan, not the same way it works back home. Taiwanese women seem to have a taboo about meeting male strangers. You must be introduced or have some sort of pre-existing social connection via work, school, or friends for them to have a plausible excuse for talking to you. You can't just strike up a random conversation with a stranger in Taiwan, not with normal people, it seems (the psychos are a whole 'nother story).

I agree. Not exclusively to male strangers, but to strangers in general. I don't know if you've heard about "Jin Guangdang" some kind of notorious scam in Taiwan. Anyway there are too many such or similar scams being reported in Taiwan. So many people tend to stay cautious when some strangers approach them.
C'est la vie?!
Forumosan avatar
msleft
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 138
Joined: 12 Jan 2008, 17:20
Location: Taiwan,Taipei
22 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)



Re: Hotness Delusion Syndrome

Postby Johnwilliamson062 » 10 Sep 2011, 13:05

"I also do not understand why people still claim, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that Taiwan is a heaven for white guys trying to pick up women."

I don't know how some of the guys on here have trouble meeting women in Taiwan. Maybe when you say pick up you mean strictly one night stands. It is oh so easy for me, and not that easy in the US. You have to put in a little time, but not that much and no grand romantic gestures or high bar tabs need be accumulated. If you want a one night stand you might be out of luck. I never run that game, but as far as getting a girlfriend, you can get a smoking hot well educated one with very little work.

There are basically three reasons western guys come to Taiwan(in my experience):
1.Women
2.Anime
3.Martial arts
4.Learn Chinese for business/military career

I went for the 4th and was more than happy with the amount of 1 and 3 that piled on to me without much effort at all on my part.
Johnwilliamson062
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 23 Aug 2011, 06:56



Re: Hotness Delusion Syndrome

Postby steev » 10 Sep 2011, 13:20

"I also do not understand why people still claim, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that Taiwan is a heaven for white guys trying to pick up women."

Maybe a few of these guys were having no luck at all back home, heard it was easy here, and came over... but hey, you still do need chatting-up skills, its just the bar is a lot lower here... but thats not to say there is no bar at all..
I think the only real Heaven with the 72 virgins for every guy is limited to a certain religion...
steev
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 08 Jun 2011, 14:12



Re: Hotness Delusion Syndrome

Postby Mucha Man » 10 Sep 2011, 13:43

Johnwilliamson062 wrote:There are basically three reasons western guys come to Taiwan(in my experience):
1.Women
2.Anime
3.Martial arts
4.Learn Chinese for business/military career


People come here to work or study Chinese. Unless they are self-supporting, the others aren't an option and in any case most have no idea what taiwan is like before they arrive. The notion people are committing a year or two of their lives to live someone they have barely heard of for the promise of women they know nothing about is fanciful at best.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18660
Joined: 01 Nov 2001, 17:01
Location: Mucha, of course
804 Recognized(s)



Re: Hotness Delusion Syndrome

Postby zyzzx » 10 Sep 2011, 14:06

Muzha Man wrote:
Johnwilliamson062 wrote:There are basically three reasons western guys come to Taiwan(in my experience):
1.Women
2.Anime
3.Martial arts
4.Learn Chinese for business/military career


People come here to work or study Chinese. Unless they are self-supporting, the others aren't an option and in any case most have no idea what taiwan is like before they arrive. The notion people are committing a year or two of their lives to live someone they have barely heard of for the promise of women they know nothing about is fanciful at best.

Well, there do seem to be an awful lot who come because of a woman - a Taiwanese wife or girlfriend that they met in their home country. So number 1 doesn't seem so far off.
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: 04 Nov 2008, 10:18
Location: Taipei
10 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Proceed to Dating & Relationships



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 visitors

Now is the time to get drunk! To stop being the martyred slaves of time, to get absolutely drunk - on wine, poetry, or on virtue, as you please -- CHARLES BAUDELAIRE, "Enivrez-vous," Paris Spleen, 1869