Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Taiwan Bans Steel-Jaw Traps

Taiwan Bans Steel-Jaw Traps

Postby cake » 14 Jul 2011, 19:48

A new bill making it illegal to buy, sell, or possess steel-jaw traps (a common torture device used to trap animals for their fur) has passed in Taiwan. Pamela Anderson and PETA Asia-Pacific sent a bouquet of flowers to legislator Ting Shou-chung.

http://www.care2.com/news/member/525884 ... Network%29
"War is just a racket. I helped make Mexico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for international banking in 1909-1912. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested" - Major General Smedley Butler
http://lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm
cake
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined

Re: Taiwan Bans Steel-Jaw Traps

Postby headhonchoII » 14 Jul 2011, 22:50

Job well done by many animal activists on here, Stray Dog included.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby finley » 14 Jul 2011, 23:41

I saw these in my local DIY store the other day. What really pisses me off is that they are completely useless for the intended purpose (keeping predators away from chickens and/or small herbivores off vegetables). I was under the impression they had been illegal for a long time, but apparently not ... so it's a good thing I didn't have a go at the 老闆. Still, if I see them there next month I'll be having a word with the police (who will then proceed to :roflmao: and make jokes about the funny foreigner after I've gone).

If the bill has passed, does that mean it is in immediate effect? Or is there some delay before it can be enforced?
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby tommy525 » 15 Jul 2011, 00:28

Its about time. Those things cause a lot of unnecessary pain and suffering. Many years ago there was a wild cat that we were feeding on a daily basis in wanli. Very nice cat, did nobody any harm. It was full grown but wild so I couldnt get too close to her. But we fed her for years and enjoyed her "company" , although at a distance.

One day we didnt see her for days, then I saw her one night with a torn off paw. She had been trapped by one of those traps I think. I didnt see her again and am sure she died in the night.

Shouldnt have happened, needed have happened.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Super Hans » 26 Jul 2011, 01:41

Well, the next time myself or one of my dogs almost steps into one, I will remember this new piece of legislation and consider how it has absolutely no effect on the sale or use of these malicious items. You mark my words, it won't change a damn thing.
I suppose it's the thought that counts though.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby fenlander » 30 Jul 2011, 20:10

Super Hans wrote:Well, the next time myself or one of my dogs almost steps into one, I will remember this new piece of legislation and consider how it has absolutely no effect on the sale or use of these malicious items. You mark my words, it won't change a damn thing.
I suppose it's the thought that counts though.

Don't be so damn negative at least Taiwan is moving in the right direction. There is no pleasing some moaning foreigners is there? And yes it can change things; not cure them but a gradual reduction should come about. WELL DONE Taiwan.
fenlander
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby jimipresley » 30 Jul 2011, 20:45

I think that Super Hans was being ironic and relatively realistic. I agree that it's a step in the right direction and so does he, fenlander, but to believe that this legislation will be enforced is plainly naive. It may be cynical, but Taiwan has yet to prove to me that it takes these things seriously. Until such time, I shall remain sceptical. :2cents:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

In Taiwan since: 07 Apr 2001

Postby tomthorne » 30 Jul 2011, 20:50

It will make a small change. Step by step Confucian stylee.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby Mucha Man » 30 Jul 2011, 20:55

tomthorne wrote:It will make a small change. Step by step Confucian stylee.

With Taiwanese characteristics.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby antarcticbeech » 30 Jul 2011, 20:56

tomthorne wrote:It will make a small change. Step by step Confucian stylee.

Yeah, they legalized soap way back in the Japanese colonial era but you'd never know it.
X
antarcticbeech

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals