Cargo Agent/Cathay Pacific Help Needed

Cargo Agent/Cathay Pacific Help Needed

Postby purewater » 26 Aug 2011, 12:53

I'm going to fly from Taipei to Ireland in a couple of months, and need to book the ticket fast. I'll probably be flying Cathay Pacific and Swiss Air.
For animals entering the UK or Ireland, they have to go as FREIGHT, not cargo, but I'm not sure how this changes things.
Before I book the ticket, I called Cathay Pacific to see how much this costs etc, and they couldn't give me any details. They said to ask my travel agent who the Cargo Agent is, and the travel agent hasn't gotten back to me because she doesn't seem to know either.
So can anyone please help me figure out WHO exactly do I contact?
Please, and Thank You!
purewater
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Re: Cargo Agent/Cathay Pacific Help Needed

Postby Belgian Pie » 26 Aug 2011, 15:52

Flying Cathay will be a pain ... you have to change planes in HK and then Switzerland ... think about your dog.

A better solution might be a direct flight with China Airlines to London or Amsterdam ... than change to Dublin.

China airlines has a stopover of just 1 hour or so in Bangkok.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby purewater » 26 Aug 2011, 22:35

Yes, I have realised this - I emailed my travel agent and asked her to look into this.

Amazingly, the ticket comes to about three times the price when I check China Airlines online! (94000 NT)
purewater
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby cake » 27 Aug 2011, 14:34

I am sure Cathay fly direct to London from HK.
I am under the impression that you can not use China Air to transport pets to the UK (also Bangkok would not be allowed in transit as Thailand is not in the pet passport scheme?).
The DEFRA website claims you can only use Cathay Pacific and KLM CARGO to transport to the UK.

Unfortunately people who have gone through this procedure (recently) don't share their experiences with us. And if they did, it is difficult to find as exporting pets out of Taiwan isn't important enough to be deemed a sticky.
"War is just a racket. I helped make Mexico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for international banking in 1909-1912. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested" - Major General Smedley Butler
http://lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm
cake
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined
23 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 27 Aug 2011, 15:19

KLM has a few flights a week from Taiwan, through HK ... to Amsterdam.

Ireland is not the UK ... London is transit only ...

You never buy online tickets directly from an airline ... overpriced

It's about not to have to change planes ... or as less as possible, handling animals in cages scares them ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 27 Aug 2011, 15:24

Maybe you can try flying cargo with Cargolux ... than from Luxemburg to Ireland on a European domestic flight ...

http://www.cargolux.com/Customers/Sched ... p?module=4

http://www.cargolux.com/Customers/Netwo ... tyname=208

Just an idea ...

I know that they did carry a few passengers on cargo flights ... no inflight services tho ... maybe they still do
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 27 Aug 2011, 15:29

Basically flying from Taipei to Amsterdam with pets is very easy, just basic documents and no quarantine ... but from Amsterdam to UK, Ireland I have no clue about quarantine.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby purewater » 28 Aug 2011, 00:54

The dog will have all documentation in order, so she won't have to stay in quarantine in Ireland, but she will be picked up by a kennel, as she will be carried as Freight so I wouldn't be able to collect her myself anyway.

Do any of you have any guesses as to how much it might cost for the dog to travel? I'm really in the dark about what the price might be. Have any posters before mentioned the cost of flying with a dog (she's a medium sized dog, 13kg)?
purewater
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby monokuro » 28 Aug 2011, 15:23

A dog on KLM will cost 200USD - however, it does say on their site if you are going to the UK or Ireland, you need to send it separately using KLM-Cargo.

https://www.klm.com/travel/tw_en/prepar ... /index.htm
monokuro
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

6 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 28 Aug 2011, 15:37

There are two links to Cargolux ... call the Taiwan office ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Pets & Other Animals