Cargo Agent/Cathay Pacific Help Needed

Re: Cargo Agent/Cathay Pacific Help Needed

Postby cake » 28 Aug 2011, 21:48

It's interesting the $200 US is mentioned. I have heard stories of people paying up to 30,000 NT for transporting a dog.

Adds to the frustration of the whole process.
OP I don't know which vet you are using, but have you asked him/her about it? They may know an agent.

What about the cage/carrier for the dog? Where are you getting it from? (I want to buy one myself).
I remember someone telling me when he returned to Canada they wouldn't let the dog onto the flight (in the hold) because he had the wrong kind of cage. He had to drive into Taoyuan and find one. He just about made his flight.

Please keep us informed and when you finally complete the process, write a report of how you did it and the difficulties you went through.
"War is just a racket. I helped make Mexico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for international banking in 1909-1912. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested" - Major General Smedley Butler
http://lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm
cake
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined
26 Recognized(s)

Postby littlefaerie08 » 03 Oct 2011, 22:14

I called Cathay today concerning my reservation and I was told by an agent that neither Dragonair nor Cathay Pacific accepts dogs (not sure about other pets) even as cargo (confusing considering it contradicts what's said on the website--the agent said it's not up to date). I don't plan on flying my dog until next Spring to the US, but does anyone have any info about Cathay that supports their new policy?
littlefaerie08
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby shawn_c » 04 Oct 2011, 01:03

I would highly recommend checking with EVA Air: http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/english/#

Phone them up - there isn't much specific info. online, but their customer service reps are very helpful and knowledgeable.

I don't get what you mean by Freight vs. Cargo? On EVA, there is either in-cabin, or cargo... no "freight" option.

Here is EVA's Cargo Service website (they are bigger in the cargo business than the passenger business, and as such, they were the ones entrusted to bring those two red-crowned cranes from Japan to Taiwan): http://www.brcargo.com/ec_web/default.aspx?Lang_Type=EN
Looking for a handmade paper wallet? http://sidonieyang.etsy.com
Forumosan avatar
shawn_c
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

182 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby shawn_c » 04 Oct 2011, 01:07

shawn_c wrote:I would highly recommend checking with EVA Air: http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/english/#

Phone them up - there isn't much specific info. online, but their customer service reps are very helpful and knowledgeable.

I don't get what you mean by Freight vs. Cargo? On EVA, there is either in-cabin, or cargo... no "freight" option.

Here is EVA's Cargo Service website (they are bigger in the cargo business than the passenger business, and as such, they were the ones entrusted to bring those two red-crowned cranes from Japan to Taiwan): http://www.brcargo.com/ec_web/default.aspx?Lang_Type=EN

$90,000+ NTD sounds like a ridiculous price.

When I asked EVA Air how much to have our cat in cargo, fly from Vancouver to Taipei with us, it was only an additional $250 CAD ($7,000 NTD), whereas our regular fare was about $1,000 CAD ($28,500 NTD) one way.
Forumosan avatar
shawn_c

182 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Ladybird » 04 Oct 2011, 01:40

When I asked EVA Air how much to have our cat in cargo, fly from Vancouver to Taipei with us, it was only an additional $250 CAD ($7,000 NTD), whereas our regular fare was about $1,000 CAD ($28,500 NTD) one way.

It sounds to me like the cats that went Vancouver to Taipei were considered 'extra baggage' for $250cnd NOT Cargo/ Freight.

Some countries won't allow you to bring a pet in as 'extra baggage'. You have to send them as Cargo. Last Wednesday, I sent a dog to the UK. The UK requires pets enter by Cargo. I had a pet transport company take care of all the documents for that. The total cost to send the 20kg dog was just over $110,000nt (bloodwork, transport and everything included).

On Thursday, I sent a 3 month old puppy from Taipei to San Francisco by Cargo and it cost $22,000nt! IF I had found a passenger to take it as 'extra baggage', that same puppy would've cost only $3,500nt. Cargo/ Freight is EXPENSIVE!

Also, keep in mind that taking a pet on any NON- direct flight, will probably cost a bit more (and be really tough on the pet). You will have to apply/ pay for an import/ transit permit for any pet going thru Hong Kong, Japan or Korea.

China Air is recommended for USA destinations because they fly directly to San Fran, LA and Seattle and they transport pets every day. They have lots of experience and they have a good reputation for carrying animals.
Ladybird
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 04 Oct 2011, 11:15

Ladybird wrote:

It sounds to me like the cats that went Vancouver to Taipei were considered 'extra baggage' for $250cnd NOT Cargo/ Freight.

Some countries won't allow you to bring a pet in as 'extra baggage'. You have to send them as Cargo. Last Wednesday, I sent a dog to the UK. The UK requires pets enter by Cargo. I had a pet transport company take care of all the documents for that. The total cost to send the 20kg dog was just over $110,000nt (bloodwork, transport and everything included).

On Thursday, I sent a 3 month old puppy from Taipei to San Francisco by Cargo and it cost $22,000nt! IF I had found a passenger to take it as 'extra baggage', that same puppy would've cost only $3,500nt. Cargo/ Freight is EXPENSIVE!

Also, keep in mind that taking a pet on any NON- direct flight, will probably cost a bit more (and be really tough on the pet). You will have to apply/ pay for an import/ transit permit for any pet going thru Hong Kong, Japan or Korea.

China Air is recommended for USA destinations because they fly directly to San Fran, LA and Seattle and they transport pets every day. They have lots of experience and they have a good reputation for carrying animals.

Wow, that's expensive!
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby shawn_c » 05 Oct 2011, 10:49

Oh!

I would still check with EVA, however, because they are well-known for cargo. It can't hurt, at the very least.
Forumosan avatar
shawn_c

182 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby cake » 19 Jan 2012, 15:21

Any conclusion with this?

Mods how come there is no sticky about transporting Pets out of Taiwan?
"War is just a racket. I helped make Mexico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for international banking in 1909-1912. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested" - Major General Smedley Butler
http://lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm
cake

Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined
26 Recognized(s)

Postby littlefaerie08 » 30 Jan 2012, 18:45

It seems like this thread was forgotten... I'm still not having much luck. I call and talk to one person (from the airline I'm flying), who tells me to call someone else, who then tells me to call someone else (and most of the time, no one speaks English so...).

I did however find the website for the Bureau of Animal & Plant Inspection & Quarantine. You can download the forms for animal import & export there & find the branch closest to you. http://www.baphiq.gov.tw/content_edit.p ... ypeid=1556
littlefaerie08

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 30 Jan 2012, 19:05

every country is different. My friend flew both her dogs to Canada for under NT20 000. But it will cost me NT90 000 for one dog to fly to South-Africa. Nevermind all the quarantine and blood work...having 6 dogs, I'm not leaving.
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

27 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Pets & Other Animals