Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

The COOL-ass bug thread

Re: The COOL-ass bug thread

Postby Icon » 22 Dec 2014, 13:37

lostinasia wrote:
hansioux wrote:I think I've developed arachnophobia after reading the last few posts....

It was certainly not the right thread to be reading as I was eating my muesli this morning. Suddenly the texture of the little bits of fruit and nuts became far more suspect. "Oh no, what's the squishy piece I just bit into?! Why was I reading the screen and not carefully inspecting each spoonful?!"

If it comes from a box in your home, you do not have to be so untrusting. I have found more crunchy "additional protein" as we call it in Spanish in any bientang.

Which reminds me that roaches here at work have the tendency to pull swan dives into my coffee... I must be alert, otherwise down the cake hole they go. Which is really hard when I am just barely awake to sip my first cup of coffee.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Icon » 21 Sep 2015, 14:50

Icon wrote:Finally found a chart that depicts my feelings about the beings depicted on this thread, particular, spiders:

So, I am doing a deep cleaning of my kitchen and other areas where bugs may find themselves at home in my home. My discoveries about the fauna with whom I share my abode:

* At least 6 different kinds of spiders, basically, the first row, nothing bigger than a morsel.
*At least 3 different color/shape of roaches, couple of albinos BTW
*Two kinds of geckos: one small and grey, one large and yellow

The spiders in particular love my Spanish cast iron and glass chandeliers, which are a nightmare to clean -but, oh, so pretty. This is appropriate in that context:

Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby hansioux » 17 Jul 2016, 17:36

some bugs from Pongso no Tao

Phasmotaenia lanyuhensis (筒胸竹節蟲, barrel chested walking sticks)

Helicostyla okadai Kuroda (光澤蝸牛, luminous snail)

Pachyrhynchus tobafolius (小圓斑球背象鼻蟲, small polka dots ball-backed Weevil)
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby headhonchoII » 17 Jul 2016, 19:10

That's the endangered giant stick insect from Taidong right?
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby hansioux » 17 Jul 2016, 21:35

headhonchoII wrote:That's the endangered giant stick insect from Taidong right?

yeah, the one we found was tiny though
hansioux

Postby thesublimenakedfairy » 20 Jul 2016, 10:53

some bugs from the weekend:
a fly:
a hummingbird moth:
a blue bumble bee
an Asian giant hornet with a huntsman spider
a native Japanese tamamushi beetle
a pretty bug:
thesublimenakedfairy
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

In Taiwan since: 19 Aug 2004

Postby hansioux » 20 Jul 2016, 11:22

wow, where did you find these cool bugs?
hansioux

Postby thesublimenakedfairy » 20 Jul 2016, 16:17

hansioux wrote:wow, where did you find these cool bugs?

I have a place in Beipu in the countryside, next to the river. It's teeming with all kinds of creepy crawlies, birds, butterflies, dragonflies, spiders, snakes and what not. Love the place. It is amazing how much life there is if you slow down, look and and enjoy.
thesublimenakedfairy

In Taiwan since: 19 Aug 2004

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Pets & Other Animals