Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

The COOL-ass bug thread

The COOL-ass bug thread

Postby Pingdong » 19 Oct 2011, 04:39

Maybe not everyone likes bugs (I do) but I'm sure we have all seen some neat ones here. post some pics of really strange, pretty, ugly and just whack "bugs" you have seen here...pics too if you have them.

here are a few to start (excuse the water marks, old project) Any ID are welcome :)

Some form of butterfly larvae, near Sandimen, Pingdong on gourd leaves

More caterpillars, all in Pingdong

Gasteracantha, Taidong

giant stick bug (latin escapes me) on green island

mantis

hermit crab, green island

stags

N. pilipes

big ol hopper, Kending
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: The COOL-ass bug thread

Postby lumka1 » 24 Oct 2011, 12:26

We have a small cabin in the mountains in Hsinchu county. There all kinds of bugs, spiders and snakes that patron our humble establishment. I am interested in these creatures, but not very knowledgeable... can anyone help to identify these:
This is one long legged long leg spider. here is a close up of the body:
And then, this looks like n bumblebee on steroids. Just want to know if they are related to the tiger hornet...?
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!’” ~Hunter S. Thompson
lumka1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Tempo Gain » 24 Oct 2011, 13:53

Great pics!

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby finley » 24 Oct 2011, 14:15

Excellent .. .thanks for the pics!

I came across the biggest f'off spider I'd ever seen on Sunday - tried to take a picture with my phone, but just came out a blurry mess. About the size of your hand with a cigar-shaped body, yellow markings down the back. He was sitting on a web three meters across. I scared him blundering into his web, and he dropped onto the ground and "threatened" me with two raised legs. Never seen anything like it and frankly hope I never do. I quite like spiders, but I wish they didn't look like spiders.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Alesistrata » 24 Oct 2011, 21:43

If they're anything like the spider pictured in the first post Finley, I do believe that they're called Golden Orb Weavers. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what they are. I managed to find a Wiki link after seeing a whole ton of them in Maokong... but I may be wrong.

Also, to add in - these pictures are awesome! It's cool to see what kind of creatures are lurking about.
Alesistrata
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby Chris » 24 Oct 2011, 22:00

First caterpillar in first post looks to be of the genus Parasa.
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Mucha Man » 24 Oct 2011, 22:48

Coming back down from Nanhudashan (near Wuling farm) we saw what looked like gossamer netting hanging from a stone wall on the side of the road but it was in fact the webbing of dozens of golden orb spiders. Frontal and side views below:

spider web2 by Mucha Man, on Flickr

spider web3 by Mucha Man, on Flickr

Spider Web1 by Mucha Man, on Flickr
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby omerojs » 26 Oct 2011, 17:45

wow I have never seen such spider webs... I don't even recall them from any Nat Geo episode... and i watch a lot of Nat geo...
Just about Everything can be done in Taiwan!!
omerojs
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

Postby haokaiyang » 26 Oct 2011, 22:36

Whoa, sweet pics! I saw a bunch of Golden Orb Weavers on Guishandao last Sunday, but nothing like what Mucha Man captured so nicely.

Anyone have any centipede/millipede shots? I was shooting the city lights from the Fudekeng cemetery over the summer when I saw the hugest centipede I've ever seen. Scared the living daylights out of me.
haokaiyang
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby Chris » 27 Oct 2011, 01:15

This is Chondracris rosea:

Pingdong wrote:big ol hopper, Kending
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals