New Taipei City Animal Protection Law in Pipeline

New Taipei City Animal Protection Law in Pipeline

Postby Omniloquacious » 22 Feb 2012, 10:51

I found this interesting report online this morning, about New Taipei City Government’s plans to draft a new set of animal protection laws. It appears to be a very encouraging step in the right direction.

At the current stage of drafting, it includes the following provisions:

1. Anyone buying a dog from a pet shop will have to attend a two-hour “life education class” (covering assessment of pet- owner’s capabilities, how to feed pets, introduction to common illnesses, etc.)

2. A pet shop owner who secretly sells a dog and tries to evade this requirement will be subject to a fine of NT$15,000.

3. The city will establish an “animal protection police” unit, charged with investigating cases of abuse or abandonment of animals. Offenders will be forced to attend classes and face a fine of up to NT$300,000.

4. The city will set up three “pet welfare vehicles” to tour around providing such services as inoculation, inserting chips, registering pets, and disposing of dead animals, free of charge.

The new law is currently being drafted, and if passed by the city council, could come into force before the end of the year (at the earliest). If you care about this issue and think the law is a good idea, you could email your city councilor to voice your support for it, to help put pressure on the council to pass it.
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
69 Recommends(s)
211 Recognized(s)

Re: New Taipei City Animal Protection Law in Pipeline

Postby Icon » 22 Feb 2012, 11:03

Awesome news! :bravo: Steps in a good direction.

If they added an obligation for all pets to be sold chipped, I'd be the happiest woman on Earth. Fine for not complying should be twice the price of the pet, i.e. 15K for pet, 30K if not chipped.

If they are sold already chipped, there are no excuses for strays.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

790 Recommends(s)
615 Recognized(s)

Postby Omniloquacious » 22 Feb 2012, 11:11

Good idea, Icon. Write to New Taipei City Government to suggest it?
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious

ORIGINAL POSTER
69 Recommends(s)
211 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 22 Feb 2012, 13:36

I saw an advertisement playing on the MRT TVs that suggested this already exists? Anyway, if it comes to pass and actually receives funding/public support/capable employees, sounds like an excellent idea ... perhaps other areas will observe the benefits and implement something similar.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

926 Recommends(s)
688 Recognized(s)

Postby Ex Animo » 22 Feb 2012, 17:27

It is indeed a huge step in the right direction! Thanks for posting.
sean@thesanctuarytaiwan.org / 0920 620109

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

24 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 25 Mar 1999

Postby Belgian Pie » 22 Feb 2012, 18:46

They should teach people to keep their dogs under control, any time, any where and don't let them roam the streets unleashed. And the opposite, keeping dogs in really small cages day in, day out, with mountains of shit under it ... come on!

I mean, people in Taiwan go really lightly about 'owning' a dog and have no understanding about dogs ... for example, a woman in my building comes and goes with her dog unleashed and the dog runs off every time until she catches it ... and then she wants me, with my two dogs in a 1 sq m elevator ... my dogs, with a another strange dog in the same containment :ponder:
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Postby Omniloquacious » 22 Feb 2012, 22:30

There's one other important detail that I omitted to mention: The "pet welfare vehicles" will also cooperate with animal protection organizations in carrying out neutering of dogs and cats in remote areas.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious

ORIGINAL POSTER
69 Recommends(s)
211 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Pets & Other Animals