Post poison spasms

Post poison spasms

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 25 Feb 2012, 02:45

My dog ingested poison a few months ago (vet said it was what farmers put out to poison dogs) and luckily I was able to get her to the vet in time to keep her alive (Thank god, she's one of my favorite things about this world). But ever since, she's twitched and had muscle spasms in her sleep- more so than she ever did before.
Anybody know what this might be and how I might remedy it? She doesn't seem to be in any pain and it doesn't stop her from sleeping, but it still worries me.
Forumosan avatar
NonTocareLeTete
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
163 Recommends(s)
223 Recognized(s)

Re: Post poison spasms

Postby Charlie Phillips » 25 Feb 2012, 13:35

It might not be due to the poison at all. I've seen a lot of dogs do it. Dogs actually have dreams. He's probably dreaming he/she is chasing a cat or something.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

84 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

Postby Ex Animo » 25 Feb 2012, 14:07

Agree with CP; it may just be that you're noticing it more.

But your best bet would be to do some extensive online research and then check with a good vet if it turns out that it's something that may be of concern.

Glad she made it. My own dog Prince nearly died after ingesting poison a few months back. He was 'wobbly' for a good month or so after, but is right as rain now, thanks to the great care he received at NTU.
sean@thesanctuarytaiwan.org / 0920 620109

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 25 Mar 1999

Postby Pingdong » 10 Apr 2012, 02:41

can ask the vet, but I think as above too. my dog, when really in deep sleep usually a few hours in will shake a little in the leg, twitch (sometimes waking himself up) and sometimes even talks. not a bark or growl, its like a bad KTV singer drunk, he tries tto speak human it sounds like hehe. First few times I was worried like you, and took him to the vet at night, but vet said probably dreaming,,,,what a dumb feeling to wake upa vet to be told the mutt was dreaming :aiyo:
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 10 Apr 2012, 15:44

It's definitely not normal. She didn't do it before the poisoning and my other dog (same age, same type) doesn't do it. It's sort of a spasmy shudder with every breath. Otherwise she's totally normal, and seems happy. Just wondering if anyone else had a dog that was poisoned and noticed this.
Forumosan avatar
NonTocareLeTete

ORIGINAL POSTER
163 Recommends(s)
223 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 11 Apr 2012, 02:23

should get the vet to check it out if you are worried.
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 11 Apr 2012, 09:20

NonTocareLeTete wrote:It's definitely not normal. She didn't do it before the poisoning and my other dog (same age, same type) doesn't do it. It's sort of a spasmy shudder with every breath. Otherwise she's totally normal, and seems happy. Just wondering if anyone else had a dog that was poisoned and noticed this.

Are you thinking there is some klind of permanent nerve damage due to the poison? Unlikely, but if you really wanna know, it would entail bringing pooch to Taipei, Tai-Da Vet Hospital or other major one for MRI and other in depth studies. Otherwise, just keep an eye out for any complications, but I guess that up to now, doggie is so far so good.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

732 Recommends(s)
570 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Pets & Other Animals