Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Snakes 2012

Re: Snakes 2012

Postby onionsack » 17 May 2012, 12:45

That's me with a false viper.
onionsack
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby onionsack » 17 May 2012, 12:48

A juvenile Boiga kraepelini (Square-headed Cat Snake)
onionsack

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby onionsack » 17 May 2012, 22:07

A short clip of a False Viper (Macropisthodon rudis rudis)...

onionsack

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby onionsack » 29 May 2012, 03:08

Here's a Bungarus multicinctus (Many-banded krait) foraging in a rice paddy ditch:

onionsack

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Jah Lynnie » 29 May 2012, 07:18

Encountered one of those up in the hills above LuLuGu a few weeks ago. I was staying in the ground floor of an abandoned farmhouse and after watching fireflies went into the kitchen where the krait appeared from around the corner.It made me think that watching fireflies is pretty risky! Do you know the fatality rankings and other data for the various venomous snakes in Taiwan?
Jah Lynnie
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 29 May 2012, 14:45

Got up close and personal with this chap a few nights ago. It is a juvenile Habu which almost ran over.

The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby onionsack » 26 Jun 2012, 00:26

Unbelievably fortuitous discovery this past Sunday in Baling: a MacClelland's Coral Snake (Sinomicrurus macclellandi swinhoei). This was a "lifer" for me: the first time I'd ever come across this tiny, reclusive elapid in the wild. I likely never would have even seen the little guy had I not first run into 賴志明, a vastly experienced Taiwanese herper, who happened to be on the same hill at the same time with a large group of his acolytes. I came across 志明's group as they were all huddled around a handsome, albeit fairly ordinary habu. While we were chatting, there was a commotion up the street from several members of his group, and as we approached, it became clear what all the fuss was about: A Formosan Wolf snake (Lycodon ruhstrati ruhstrati) had been spotted in a shallow ditch, and less than a meter away, a resplendent Coral Snake. Ordinarily the Wolf Snake would have elicited at least a minor cheer of triumph, but compared to the Coral, it might as well have been a worm. I never even bothered to look at it twice, much less film it, so transfixed was I by the utter majesty of the coral. These nocturnal snakes spend their lives almost entirely out of view, far under the leaf litter foraging for tiny snakes and lizards to eat. It's hard to overstate the sense of reverent awe you feel when you're finally granted a glimpse of such a marvelous creature.
onionsack

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 26 Jun 2012, 10:36

Amazing photo, Hans. For some reason the YouTube video links have stopped working again (Chrome), which is annoying.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

828 Recommends(s)
632 Recognized(s)

Postby Tazzie » 03 Sep 2012, 17:41

Today's visitor --

Forumosan avatar
Tazzie
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 05 Sep 2012, 00:43

onionsack, very nice. that would of made my day too! never seen one myself, and doubt i ever will. gotta say, it couldnt of picked a better place to be found :)

have a question for your opinion. got a snake in our shelf the other day and got a rude awakening when I went to get somethign. it was dark at night and I went fast to go find my snake hook (burried under endless crap) and when i got back it was gone.

it was 60-80cm im guessing, about 3cm thick, think cornsnake propertion but not well fed. it was fast, not a viper for sure. it would strike and hiss incredibly loud. very aggressive but not chasing. it climbed incredibly well. this is near mountins and farmland in Pingdong about 150m.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Pets & Other Animals