How to make friends with new puppy pack in our area?

How to make friends with new puppy pack in our area?

Postby asiababy » 21 May 2012, 11:08

We have a new neighbor. He's just got himself three black, male puppies. He only comes in a few times a week, and the puppies stay at the property alone. Right now, they are very cute and I think my dog and I have a chance to become friends with them before they grow up into another aggressive dog pack. They can all get out of the property, so when we take our walk past, they run out and greet us. "Coffee" is really friendly and I managed to have a bonding session with him and my dog this morning, patting both of them calmly for a few minutes. "Cujo" is probably the leader, barks all the time and so far is not willing to come close. "Milo" is quiet and seems to just follow Cujo's lead.

So, does anyone have ideas of how I can best handle this situation? Should I take them little tidbits of fresh chicken and bribe them into friendship? Spend lots of time with them? Train them a bit? Or just take the stance of walking past and staying aloof? Should I also take my kids there daily to get to know them, even when the owner isn't there? (We have to walk past this property to get anywhere in our area, so I'd like to keep everyone safe and harmonious.)
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
Looking for like-minded parents, a friendly space to take your kids, and classes for English-speaking children? http://www.parentsplace.com.tw
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Re: How to make friends with new puppy pack in our area?

Postby sandman » 21 May 2012, 14:15

Bacon.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 21 May 2012, 19:31

Bond with the leader.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
221 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 22 May 2012, 01:43

One is named after an evil dog and two are named after brown drinks that promote regularity. Sounds like a bit of a mess. Is it OK for the guy to leave the dogs there and only show up a few times a week? Isn't that a bit irresponsible?
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

87 Recommends(s)
435 Recognized(s)

Postby asiababy » 22 May 2012, 22:48

Deuce Dropper wrote:Is it OK for the guy to leave the dogs there and only show up a few times a week? Isn't that a bit irresponsible?

It's common practice where we live. People keep the dogs to protect their property. They put out enough dry food for a few days, and supplement with some leftovers when they are in the area. They leave a gap in the fence so the dogs can go out and about. And of course they can't have just one dog, and two is bad luck, so it's three or more. These puppies the guy has are gorgeous. I spent some time with them again today. I hope I can win them over.
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
Looking for like-minded parents, a friendly space to take your kids, and classes for English-speaking children? http://www.parentsplace.com.tw
asiababy

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Pets & Other Animals