Poor Toto was apparently stung by a hornet -according to the doctor. He has a huge, red, swollen lump that appeared suddenly on his "calf" -it wasn't there in the morning, then by noon POP! Took him to the vet ASAP and the vet checked the area with a magnifier, no stinger was found, so he thinks it was not a bee but a hornet or wasp. There have been some big brown hornets getting into the house lately, and I guess somehow one managed to get Toto. As he cannot see well, the vet says, he is not wise enough to stay away from dangerous things.
So far he has not had a serious allergic reaction, appetite is well as usual, and he's got medication. But I am concerned as to how the heck this happened, and how to prevent it from happening again. Does anyone have any experience with pets getting stung?
Also, a friend told me that there is a kind of wasp that uses dogs as carriers, stings them and then out comes the larvae. I hope this is not the case, but how do I know for sure? Been looking over the 'net, don't know what I am looking for.