Line Between Animals and Humans

Re: Line Between Animals and Humans

Postby sulavaca » 15 Jun 2012, 17:06

finley wrote:
Tigerman wrote:There's a line between humans and animals?

Just what I was thinking :)

Me too. As I've asked in another thread, "Do humans really exist?" and the answer seemed to suggest that there is no such thing. Only a very rough categorization of an idea of what humans should be, but no definitive answer. If humans exist, then the process of evolution must have stopped, was more or less my theory. We can't tell if we are still humans in the present it seems.

If that's the case, then I continue to hold the position that there are no humans as we are ALL different from one another. There is only a continuing evolution of a particular strain of animal, which we presently, commonly refer to as human, but which may not be the case.

If you accept that, then there is no difference between 'us' animals and 'them' animals. In fact, it makes categorizing anything in the present quite a challenge indeed. It seems far easier to categorize animals which no longer exist or are known in nature, as their evolution has ceased.

Interesting thoughts, and I'm sure that different perspectives on evolution and categorization may exist.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 15 Jun 2012, 21:47

Tigerman wrote:

TheGingerMan wrote:Surely, there are several.
I ain't been eaten yet.

If that's the standard, then surely we are the most animalest of all animals, as we do most of the eating (of other animals)!

That would most certainly be an insult to animals.

Nevertheless, call me a daydream believer, but I still happen to hold rather fast to the hedgehog position of human intellect. Those four-legged fiends never had much of an Enlightenment, now did they?

Why I bet some of them have no recollection of the typer!
:hand:

I'm with the homo.
Sapiens, that is.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

3 Recommends(s)
187 Recognized(s)

Postby dannypamu » 17 Jun 2012, 00:20

Any criticism on any of the articles? The point sulavaca makes is very very different. Are there any scientific articles you could link me too related to that topic?
dannypamu
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 17 Jun 2012, 03:58

For a historical perspective, this question was asked many years ago on Formosa and was recorded by William A. Pickering.

Later, as I lay wakeful on my bed, I heard, through the thin paper partitions, my host and his cronies considering
their strange visitors.

'Strange creatures, these barbarians', grunted the Mandarin, as he puffed at his opium pipe.

'Aye, they are, indeed,' acquiesced another.

A long pause, whilst they sucked their pipes reflectively.

'That Pi-ki-ling, he's a strange barbarian. Where did he learn to speak the language of men ?'

'Aye, but he's clever for a barbarian. He is almost a man.'

'Nonsense ! he has not the eyes of a man.' They are round, like the rest of the animals', not turned up at the corners, like we men have them. He's no man, I tell you.'

There was a grunt from the man addressed. The argument was conclusive. 'Well, perhaps his mother might have been a man, anyhow!' he volunteered.

'May be, may be ; but he is a clever barbarian,' settled my host, and the discussion ended.

William A. Pickering, Pioneering in Formosa 1898 http://archive.org/details/pioneeringinform00pickrich
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

73 Recommends(s)
145 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 18 Jun 2012, 22:13

Sometimes. If the humans are fishing.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

7 Recommends(s)
43 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 18 Jun 2012, 22:37

Ducked wrote:

Sometimes. If the humans are fishing.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Love fishing jokes
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips

73 Recommends(s)
145 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Pets & Other Animals