Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Respected SF Univ guilty of gross animal abuse

Respected SF Univ guilty of gross animal abuse

Postby tommy525 » 27 Nov 2012, 02:17

http://www.sfgate.com/education/article ... 065881.php

I cant believe this shit is allowed to fly here in the bay area. This is a well known and respected university.

We should stop animal testing. And if we are to do it, let them not suffer unnecessarily.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Respected SF Univ guilty of gross animal abuse

Postby bigduke6 » 27 Nov 2012, 07:45

SCUM.

Those responsible should be subject to the same abuse the animals were. :fume: :fume:

The worst part is that the Uni is full of excuses.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
bigduke6
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

Postby cake » 27 Nov 2012, 20:39

Tip of the iceberg.
How about custodial sentences to all involved? Lots of money in grants knocking around, so fuck the animals.

I always wonder what it takes to be someone who experiments on animals. Have they no empathy for suffering? I can not get my head around it.
I guess anyone who inflicts pain on other sentient beings has some excuse to justify what they do.

God only knows what goes on in Taiwan labs.

Whenever I see these cases or any other abuse etc, it always reminds me that most of humanity can not exist without animals.
From circuses, using their fur, eating them, experimenting with them, using their bodily fluids etc.

Animals, however can exist without humans.
cake
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined

Postby superking » 27 Nov 2012, 20:45

cake wrote: Animals, however can exist without humans.

Word. It's something like 200 years after the last human has died that pretty much everything we have made will be gone. I saw this thing where they reckon The Christ of the Andes would break apart and collapse within 20 years if no human was around to upkeep it. And there would be tons and tons of snakes.

Isn't Mark Hauser of Harvard (and Chomsky fame) accused of lying about his data? He also introduced some predator (eagle?) to some howler monkeys and the eagles basically decimated an entire population. Uni professors are assholes, just like most people.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

Postby Ex Animo » 28 Nov 2012, 01:41

cake wrote:God only knows what goes on in Taiwan labs.

I've been reading up on vivisection in some animal rights books recently, and you may be surprised to learn that the United States has by far the worst record of animal-experimentation atrocities.
sean@thesanctuarytaiwan.org / 0920 620109

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Ex Animo
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

In Taiwan since: 25 Mar 1999

Postby headhonchoII » 28 Nov 2012, 08:18

Well it's not a complete surprise as most vaccines and medical research comes from the US. I'm not excusing the pain that animals feel, or the fact that there has been abuses and the standards need to be kept extremely high but if anybody has taken a vaccine or drugs developed on animals and complains they are a hypocrite. It was simply not possible to develop them without experimentation. Even now it is impossible without using animal models. How do HIV drugs get tested?
For me I would propose that primates start to be taken out of the chain of research, but I'm not an expert on this area. Mice are extremely important in medical and fundamental biological research, if you blocked researchers from using them it's going to have real consequences.
I also have to say that animals are destined for our dinner plates often receive much worse treatment but it doesn't get the same attention. You need to look at the numbers of animals involved, how many incidents occurred and in how many labs. I don't see any clear data to that effect.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Ex Animo » 28 Nov 2012, 09:59

If we never allowed animals to be abused in such horrendous ways, we would have found other ways to develop such medical breakthroughs, and likely more effective, as vivisection has provided a very poor return for a very dear expense.
sean@thesanctuarytaiwan.org / 0920 620109

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Ex Animo

In Taiwan since: 25 Mar 1999

Postby headhonchoII » 28 Nov 2012, 10:20

There has been no easy around using them, you need to test them somehow otherwise they will be tested on humans, that's a fact.

Animal testing is only a model, and it failed to pick up thalidomide for instance but it's better than just testing directly on humans. If you just tested thalidomide in animal cell culture it also may not have predicted the interference with fetal development. With something like a vaccine, it seems impossible still not to use a live animal intact immune system for testing, otherwise you have to test on live humans. Mammals immune systems are the sum of their whole, and they are not fully understood and reactions cannot be predicted properly in advance.

But the day is coming that animals will not be used and lots of researchers are working towards that too. It's not that researchers want to use animals in this way or enjoy using them.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby urodacus » 28 Nov 2012, 11:23

Ex Animo wrote:If we never allowed animals to be abused in such horrendous ways, we would have found other ways to develop such medical breakthroughs, and likely more effective, as vivisection has provided a very poor return for a very dear expense.

incorrect.

you'd even have to kill animals to find alternatives to killing animals.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby superking » 28 Nov 2012, 14:08

headhonchoII wrote: if anybody has taken a vaccine or drugs developed on animals and complains they are a hypocrite.

How does one know if they are being given medication tested on animals? How does a child know this?
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Pets & Other Animals